Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No

    10 Reasons not to get caught up in the E82 1M Coupe Hype

    People have been getting a bit carried away with this 1M hype. BMW reveals part of a fender and everyone "ooohs" and "aaahs" as if the messiah of the motoring world was revealed. Recently, BMWblog posted an article, "Top 10 Reasons Why The 1M Will Rock Your World." We asked BMWblog on twitter what about presenting the other side for a balanced view and were rebuked with, "They can start their own top 10." So, that is exactly what we did.

    Top 10 Reasons to not get caught up in the 1M Coupe Hype:

    1. The 1M brings the M brand downscale. It essentially completes the dilution of the brand. There was a time where BMW was apprehensive of putting the M badge on just anything and did not want to be like AMG in this respect. M stood for something and was special, it was not a badge you would often see.

    2. Rumors are it is manual only. Why? What is with this inconsistency from BMW? They have been shoving paddle shifters down our throats since the dawn of SMG and now all of a sudden they want to show that the manual is "pure" ? Well what message is this sending for the M5/M6 which will be DCT only just like the the E60 M5 was SMG only for the rest of the world? Is it truly manual only to keep it "pure" or to keep it from encroaching on M3 territory as well as keeping the cost down? So the next generation M5/M6 will not be pure? Huh?

    3. It is coming at the end of the E82 lifespan. Market reach will be very limited which potentially limits aftermarket engine development due to the small base as well as coming with BMW's new anti-tuning measures.

    4. Outdated before it hits. The next generation 1 series is already testing, this model was done with before this car even came out.

    5. Performance will be kept in check on purpose to not step on the toes of the M3. This car will not be as good as it can be out of the gate.

    6. You can exceed the performance today with a 135i with an aftermarket LSD, coil-overs, and a JB3 tune from BMS, exceeding the performance significantly for less money. Not to mention you can get a DCT.

    7. Marks the end of naturally aspirated motors for M cars, namely the inline-6's that BMW M made their name with. No matter what they do to the motor, it will never be as impressive or respond as well as an S54, stock or modified.

    8. This model represents BMW abandoning its principles for profit and volume. This is no longer the company that made every M model special and was the small guy taking on the big names. Now BMW can just take any base motor, up the boost, stiffen the suspension, change the bumper, and call it an M. This is the beginning of a giant whose goal is simply to destroy everything in its path. They sacrificed their soul for monetary gain and M ideals for marketing.

    9. Just will not be a true M, no matter how hard they try to convince us it is. The younger audience won't care, but the hardcore M fans will. A real M car has a naturally aspirated motor that screams with instant response begging to be revved. A real M has a motor not available in base models. A real M does not take shortcuts. We don't care how BMW tries to spin this, they know it is the truth and what was just stated is exactly what they used to once state.

    10. This car will be superb, but it marks the end of an era. It marks the end of an era where M's were rare and special. Cars that had motors that won endless awards due to their engineering prowess in squeezing out every last naturally aspirated horse. Cars that did not take shortcuts. BMW will now be able to get away with simply taking base motors and adding more boost, calling them M's. It will no doubt handle well, look good, and be fun to drive. To those of you who don't truly care about history or tradition, it will bring you joy. For us though, this car is bittersweet.



    Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    49
    Rep Points
    26.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hopefully M proves us wrong...but doubtful
    Click here to enlarge
    National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tochenzo Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully M proves us wrong...but doubtful
    It will be a great car no doubt, but is not deserving of the hype it is getting and the blind praise.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    2,042
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    M motors where not available in base Models??? WTF are you talking about. The 3 series was the base model before the 1 series came out. The M3 was the M base model. We had Z3 M coupe and Z4 M coupe nobody argued about those not being pure M both being underneath the M3. If anything this M is more focused that anything after the e46 CSL. I think M3 owners are just butt hurt because there is a new younger sibling who is just as good and if not better than them. Hell we are back on track going inline again. The V8 was meant for those buyers who wanted to have the same engines everyone else was going to have after the RS4 came out. The M3 has a V8 only to satisfy those who wanted to be in with the V8s . You are just mad because you know its going to be good really good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    M motors where not available in base Models??? WTF are you talking about.
    You aren't understanding. The S14, S54, etc., are not available in non M's, as in the base models for their series like the 328, 323, etc.. That is WTF I'm talking about.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    If anything this M is more focused that anything after the e46 CSL.
    More focused than the GTS? Huh? This is just a 135 with a more aggressive tune, suspension, and LSD.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    You are just mad because you know its going to be good really good.
    I said it is going to be really good. I'm not mad, I'm sad BMW is selling out and people like you don't even see it and pat them on the back for it. BMW is banking on people like you who don't get it and have a short term memory.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    2,042
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Budy the GTS isn't available in the US of A.
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Budy the GTS isn't available in the US of A.
    Yet another reason to not simply accept what they are doing. Does not change the fact it is more hardcore just like the CSL which also was not available.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    2,042
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You aren't understanding. The S14, S54, etc., are not available in non M's, as in the base models for their series like the 328, 323, etc.. That is WTF I'm talking about.
    You dont even know what engine is definitely going in the 1m


    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    More focused than the GTS? Huh? This is just a 135 with a more aggressive tune, suspension, and LSD.
    The GTS is not available in US of A



    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I said it is going to be really good. I'm not mad, I'm sad BMW is selling out and people like you don't even see it and pat them on the back for it. BMW is banking on people like you who don't get it and have a short term memory.
    well you are the one who has a short memory if you cant recall past BMW with turbo technology
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    well you are the one who has a short memory if you cant recall past BMW with turbo technology
    You realize that was before M cars, right?

    You also realize BMW themselves did not choose turbos for their M motors and said forced induction was a short cut, right?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    2,042
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well times changed and turbo technology has proven it self to be the best way to go. If you like NA so much why do you Supercharged your M3?
    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Well times changed and turbo technology has proven it self to be the best way to go.
    Times certainly have changed. The issue is that BMW can now be lazy and we accept it. They can just up boost, wow, exciting.

    Turbo isn't the best way, it is the best way for them to make power while meeting emissions and keeping costs low. They could still do NA but realized profits are greater this way. Ferrari and Porsche are still doing it somehow and that is why they have not lost any respect.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    A little too late. The dilution of the M-brand started with the X5M and X6M. They have automatic transmissions and weigh a $#@! load.

    Atleast the 1M will be a drivers car, which is what I first think of when it comes to an M-car. Lightweight, agile, good handling car. You could say the current M5, M6, and M3 are pigs in their own right.

    X5M and X6M started the non-NA powerplant trend and it will continue in the furture(this is bimmerboost afterall).

    Also the Z4M/coupe was only offered in manual, so not a first.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    A little too late. The dilution of the M-brand started with the X5M and X6M.
    Absolutely, and this brings it full circle.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Atleast the 1M will be a drivers car, which is what I first think of when it comes to an M-car. Lightweight, agile, good handling car.
    Absolutely, but we are talking E46 M3 weight. The weight aspect is played up too much. The E92 M3 is the lightest in its class, hardly a pig.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    X5M and X6M started the non-NA powerplant trend and it will continue in the furture(this is bimmerboost afterall).
    Yes it will, and this has played into our decision to pick our niche Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Also the Z4M/coupe was only offered in manual, so not a first.
    No one has stated this would be a first, but BMW offers the DCT already in the 1, so why now not do so? Especially considering the M5/M6 will be DCT only. The E60 was SMG only as well, except in the US. Just odd inconsistency.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Personally, I'm glad they are going with a turbo motor, and the ecu will be ready to deal with upgrades unless they try really hard to keep us out.

    The only thing I DON'T like, is that it may just be a remapped N54. It should at least have a M developed valve-train, and some good ball-bearing turbos that don't choke at high RPM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Personally, I'm glad they are going with a turbo motor, and the ecu will be ready to deal with upgrades unless they try really hard to keep us out.
    The car will be great and M cars will continue to be the best drivers cars in their class. However, no one seems to be paying attention to what we are losing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The car will be great and M cars will continue to be the best drivers cars in their class. However, no one seems to be paying attention to what we are losing.
    Maybe they don't care? Personally, I would of picked up an e46 M3 if it was turbo'd from the factory, over the 135i. I love iron blocks, and I love the styling, and I love how that car can be tossed. But I didn't want to buy a $20,000 used car and have to pay $15,000 more just to get the power level I wanted, and then worry about things breaking.

    Same with the new M3. Yes, that engine is amazing engineering-wise, and sound-wise, and torque-curve wise, but you have to admit, it is a bit weak for the price and is fairly difficult/expensive to extract more HP from. Anything over 6.5psi seems to need meth or race gas to run without pre-det, and although the HP numbers are great, it takes quite a bit of additional money to get there.

    If I had lots of money to blow then obviously I would not mind buying a e46 and sending it to HPF, or buying a new M3 and putting a Gintani kit on it, and both of those would be wonderful cars, but unfortunately that is not the case, and I love my 135i for what it is.

    If this 1M is priced right, it may solve all the little disappointments I have with my 135i and end up being the ultimate daily-driver for ME. Click here to enlarge

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Maybe they don't care?
    Exactly, and that is why BMW is able to get away with cutting corners as people don't hold them accountable. BMW got away with diluting M for profits.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Same with the new M3. Yes, that engine is amazing engineering-wise, and sound-wise, and torque-curve wise, but you have to admit, it is a bit weak for the price and is fairly difficult/expensive to extract more HP from.
    Quite strong for the price actually. What is exceeding it? A sports car like a Vette C6? I can't think of anything else, even the GT500 runs similar ET's stock with far more power. It has quite nice gains with bolt on's and an SC puts it in an elite position. A turbo motor also will never match the response of an NA V8 with individual throttle bodies. Because the motor is amazingly engineered, it will get greater gains with FI. Sure, takes more money, but ultimately you have a better platform. You get what you pay for.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    If I had lots of money to blow then obviously I would not mind buying a e46 and sending it to HPF, or buying a new M3 and putting a Gintani kit on it, and both of those would be wonderful cars, but unfortunately that is not the case, and I love my 135i for what it is.
    An used E46 M3 with HPF turbo is cheaper than this 1M will be, for greater gains.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    f this 1M is priced right, it may solve all the little disappointments I have with my 135i and end up being the ultimate daily-driver for ME.
    That is all that matters, but does it really deserve the M name when basically it amounts to what a 135is should be? The M name no longer carries the weight it did.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Rep Points
    17.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If this 1M is just a mildly-tuned 135, it will be a sad day for BMW because there will no doubt be a million "better" 135's that have been modified by their owners that will outperform this new "M" car. If this happens the M name will be scarred for life...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CarbonChooch Click here to enlarge
    If this 1M is just a mildly-tuned 135, it will be a sad day for BMW because there will no doubt be a million "better" 135's that have been modified by their owners that will outperform this new "M" car. If this happens the M name will be scarred for life...
    Exactly, let's hope this thing sets the bar high. The fact it can't top the M3 though means it will be a bit limited. Hopefully the driving dynamics make up for that.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That is all that matters, but does it really deserve the M name when basically it amounts to what a 135is should be? The M name no longer carries the weight it did.
    You can't just call this car a 135is. It has too many parts transferred from the M3. It is going to be a better handling short wheelbase M3, minus the V8. The 335is a joke, basically an overboost function and appearance package.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    You can't just call this car a 135is. It has too many parts transferred from the M3. It is going to be a better handling short wheelbase M3, minus the V8. The 335is a joke, basically an overboost function and appearance package.
    What parts are transferred from the M3 exactly?

    The 335is is a joke, no doubt. However, why has the "is" nomenclature seemingly lost its importance and M is being brought down to what an "is" could cover?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What parts are transferred from the M3 exactly?

    The 335is is a joke, no doubt. However, why has the "is" nomenclature seemingly lost its importance and M is being brought down to what an "is" could cover?
    Basically the entire underpinnings of the M3. The M3 subframe, M3 suspension, M3 LSD, M3 brakes, M3 ZCP wheels. Also interested to see what they did with the steering, to sharpen that up. Now it won't be difficult to find wheels for the 1M, since it will have M3 offsets with the wider track.

    Also from looking at the pics, you can see they put some R&D into the bodywork. I don't believe those vents are just for show. They lead to oil coolers, special intake, etc. I am going to give BMW a little more credit on this car than the butchered together X5M.

    I think the ultimate tragedy is down the road. When they just grab the X5M engine off the shelf and slap it into the next M5. The S85 will be an epic classic for the M-division.
    Last edited by M3_WC; 09-09-2010 at 12:50 AM.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Basically the entire underpinnings of the M3. The M3 subframe, M3 suspension, M3 LSD, M3 brakes, M3 ZCP wheels.
    So now it is a parts bin car? The suspension will be tweaked for the 1 series weight, no doubt. The LSD is a given as are the brakes, lowering costs for BMW even more. Hell, is there anything original or special on this thing to warrant M branding? The thing is, you toss those parts on a 335 and you don't suddenly have an M3. You see what I'm saying?

    The vents most likely aren't for show. BMW does route air intelligently.

    That is one of the things I am saying, BMW can now just take the same motor, and throw it in multiple models and call it an M. Essentially, they have become AMG, what they strove not to be. That is a huge shift and we should not let this moment pass without at least mentioning it. I am sick of seeing the pandering, no one has critically analyzed what this really means for M enthusiasts down the road.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Points
    1,422.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That is one of the things I am saying, BMW can now just take the same motor, and throw it in multiple models and call it an M. Essentially, they have become AMG, what they strove not to be. That is a huge shift and we should not let this moment pass without at least mentioning it. I am sick of seeing the pandering, no one has critically analyzed what this really means for M enthusiasts down the road.
    I hear ya man. The X5M and X6M was the start, I am still a little pissed about M-suvs. I don't understand why they needed an M-badge, besides for marketing and money reasons.

    But, I still think there will be some interesting things about the 1M. I really hope they were serious about dropping the weight. More looking forward to a full engineered effort with the next generation 1-series, which like you said is basically just around the corner.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,104
    Rep Points
    31,294.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    I hear ya man. The X5M and X6M was the start, I am still a little pissed about M-suvs. I don't understand why they needed an M-badge, besides for marketing and money reasons.
    They didn't, did you read my past article on why BMW could not use the M1 name? When they made the 4.6is, which was aimed squarely at the ML55 AMG, they competed with it without using the M badge. They were so protective of it they wouldn't even entertain the idea of an M SUV and said it would never happen. That was when BMW was still BMW.

    They used the M badge for marketing, simple.

    The debate is over with, but I'm going to make a point of telling everyone that a special era has officially come to an end. I'm not going to pat BMW on the back for it like some of these blogs/people are who find it easier to pander to the crowd than stand up and say something critical of BMW.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •