Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    DP Fix Bypass Switch

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    hell if i know.

    "they" say it screws with AFR, so may as well take it out.

    too bad it doesnt have a bypass switch or something
    Bill of Materials:


    1. Pins for Tyco MQS series - Tyco 2-963725-1
    2. Receptacles for Tyco MQS series - Tyco 963726-1
    3. Switch - McMaster 7347K82
    4. Boot - McMaster 70205K3
    5. Shrink Tube - McMaster 7856K131
    6. Wire - McMaster 69835K341


    Theory of Operation:


    With the switch in one position, the signals from the rear O2 sensors will be fed into the DME for normal driving. With the switch in the other position, the simulated signal from the DP Fix will be fed into the DME for inspection time.

    Schematic:

    DP_Fix_Bypass.pdf

    Procedure:



    1. Extract the wires from the DME connector as described in the DP Fix instructions. *Make a note of which yellow wire goes to pin 19.* You can wrap a tape "flag" around this wire temporarily.
    2. Figure out where you want your switch and drill a hole in the white box (1/4"). I mounted mine on the front side of the box, near the outside so I can reach it with the cowl cover in place.
    3. Cut off the two female terminals on the black wires of the DP fix. Leave equal lengths of wire on the DP Fix and the terminal ends. The two wires with the female terminals will connect to the center terminals of the switch and to the DME. The two ends of the black wires from the DP fix will connect to the bottom terminals of the switch. Add 12 inches to each of the wires (4) and cover the splices with shrink tubing.
    4. Cut a "window" in the insulation for the black wire with a male terminal on the DP Fix. Use your wire strippers to cut the insulation in two places about 1/4" apart. CAREFULLY use a sharp knife to slit the cut section of insulation so that it may be removed from the wire. Solder the end of 12 inches of wire to this window. Slide shrink tube over the splice.
    5. Solder one of the extra male terminals you bought to the end of 12 inches of black wire. Carefully use pliers to clamp down each side of the insulation barrel over the insulation of the wire.
    6. Place the DP Fix in the white box, and route all wires to allow for neat installation. Refer to the schematic for guidance. Run the wires that go to the switch through the 1/4" hole to judge how long they need to be. Once all wires are neat and in place, cut off the excess hanging outside the box through the hole.
    7. Solder the wires which attach to the DME pins 19 and 20 to the center terminals of the switch on each side. Ensure you place shrink tube over the wire BEFORE you solder it. Slide the shrink tube over the switch terminals and shrink it. *Make sure you know which side goes to pin 19.*
    8. Solder the black wires from the DP fix to the bottom terminal of the switch. Apply shrink tube as directed above.
    9. Solder the end of the black wire connected to the male terminal of the DP fix to the side of the switch which is connected the pin 19 on the DME. Apply shrink tubing.
    10. Solder the other black wire with the male terminal to the other side of the switch. Apply shrink tubing.
    11. Install the switch and boot in the hole.
    12. Slide shrink tube over the black wire of the DP fix with the male terminal. Insert the male terminal into the female terminal on the yellow wire which you removed from pin 19 on the DME connector. Shrink the tubing over the connection to secure and insulate it.
    13. Repeat step 12 for the other black wire with a male terminal and the other yellow wire which was removed from position 20.
    14. Insert the black wires with female terminals into the DME connector. Ensure the proper wire is inserted into position 19.
    15. Follow the DP fix instructions for the red wires.


    Notes:


    1. Practice makes perfect when heating shrink tubing with a lighter. Just get the flame close, it does not have to actually touch the tubing. You could use a heat gun if you prefer.
    2. The switch has six terminals. Holding the switch so that there are three terminals on the right, and three terminals on the left, each side is one circuit independent from the other. With the level in the up position, the center terminals on each side are connected to the bottom terminals on each side. With the lever down, the center terminals on each side are connected to the top terminals on each side. The terminals on the left are never connected to the terminals on the right.
    3. If a wire crosses another in the schematic and there is NO DOT, the wires are NOT CONNECTED. Dots indicate wire which are connected.
    4. You only really need one male terminal, but buy five or ten of each in case you need to correct a mistake.
    5. If at some point you connect the wrong O2 sensor to the wrong input on the DME, you will throw a code. Pay attention to which sensor connects to pin 19, and the other must connect to pin 20.


    The coffee was extra strong this morning so I may have overlooked something in my caffeine induced ADHD frenzy.
    Eppur si muove.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    204
    Rep Points
    269.3
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If I'm reading this correctly, these fit into the connectors for the ECU?

    1. Receptacles for Tyco MQS series - Tyco 963726-1


    Sorry if it is OT, but I'm fitting my Aquamist HFS-4 soon and if I can create an OEM-like harness that would be great.

    Rep added!
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    If I'm reading this correctly, these fit into the connectors for the ECU?

    1. Receptacles for Tyco MQS series - Tyco 963726-1


    Sorry if it is OT, but I'm fitting my Aquamist HFS-4 soon and if I can create an OEM-like harness that would be great.

    Rep added!
    Yes, those receptacles will mate with the small pins on the DME and other modules like the JBE.
    Eppur si muove.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    Posts
    204
    Rep Points
    269.3
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, those receptacles will mate with the small pins on the DME and other modules like the JBE.
    You sir are a legend, you've even provided a link to shop in the UK who sells them. I would rep you again if I could!
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    203
    Rep Points
    84.6
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    thank you thank you thank you <3
    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    203
    Rep Points
    84.6
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    this makes me want to build my own pnp harness out of the pinout one.

    would you be any chance know what the plastic connectors are called?
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    this makes me want to build my own pnp harness out of the pinout one.

    would you be any chance know what the plastic connectors are called?
    Those connectors are part of the Tyco Electronics Micro Quadlok System.

    ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/tyco/1307999_Micro-Quadlok.pdf

    It seems difficult to get the housings, though. I've read somewhere that they were only originally distributed to BMW. On some of the Tyco drawings there is a note that says the drawing cannot be changed without getting approval from BMW first.
    Eppur si muove.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Points
    71.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Why do this? Why not run with the DPfix always operable?

    As an aside to this, has anyone every tried just gapping the post cat O2 sensors? I've done this a few times on other cars and it works flawlessly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    58
    Rep Points
    48.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robertm Click here to enlarge
    Why do this? Why not run with the DPfix always operable?

    As an aside to this, has anyone every tried just gapping the post cat O2 sensors? I've done this a few times on other cars and it works flawlessly.
    Becuase it messes up the tune. IIRC it will read the AFR ratios incorrectly.

    I would pay for a plug n play solution. I like this switch idea since I don't want to mess with the DME.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    51
    Rep Points
    84.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I can't wait until we can just force readiness Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    21
    Rep Points
    71.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    So on a car with stock tune is it ok to run all the time? Or will it cause other issues eventually?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16



    Yes Reputation No
    The currently held theory is the DME uses the rear O2 sensors to calibrate the front wide band sensors. Constantly feeding the DME erroneous rear sensor data seems to cause AFR problems.

    It is recommend by BMS to not use the DP Fix all the time on any car. This bypass switch just enables you to flick a switch instead of tearing things apart to connect and disconnect the DP Fix.
    Eppur si muove.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    203
    Rep Points
    84.6
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Those connectors are part of the Tyco Electronics Micro Quadlok System.

    ftp://ftp.efo.ru/pub/tyco/1307999_Micro-Quadlok.pdf

    It seems difficult to get the housings, though. I've read somewhere that they were only originally distributed to BMW. On some of the Tyco drawings there is a note that says the drawing cannot be changed without getting approval from BMW first.
    ah looks like it'll be tough getting the plastic housings then.

    well thanks again Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,377
    Rep Points
    32,769.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Props man, well done post!
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    77
    Rep Points
    59.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I think you could simplify to a single DPST switch that shorts across the DPFix. What do you think?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16



    Yes Reputation No
    The goal is to allow you to switch between the rear O2 sensor signals going to the correct pins on the DME, or routing the simulated DP Fix signal to those two pins. Because you are dealing with two inputs on the DME, and two sources of the signal for each DME pin you need a double pole double throw switch. This is the most elegant way I could think to do it, but it surely is not the only way to solve the problem.
    Eppur si muove.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    77
    Rep Points
    59.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I realize what the goal is.

    I still think you might be able to get there with a simplified circuit. If you used a DPST to short the DPFix input to the output, that might be the same as cutting the DPFix out of the circuit (assuming the DPFix isn't a load meaningful load in that config).

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    77
    Rep Points
    59.7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    I spoke with Terry about it. Using DPST will load the circuit and could potentially cause issues.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Interesting. What kind of symptoms are people having from running the dpfix all the time? I've had mine in for a few months since I've been tuneless. I haven't really noticed anything, but I haven't been monitoring anything either.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    80
    Rep Points
    67.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    +1 I have had mine in over a month now and it runs great - actually seemed to run better/stronger with the DPFix than when it was throwing codes due to cat inefficiency.

    Wish @Terry@BMS would chime in!
    2008 E93 MHD, HPF IC, Injen Intake
    2016 X5 35i JB Stage 1
    2013 C63 Eurocharged V6

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16



    Yes Reputation No
    As I understand it, the way the car monitors catalyst operation is by comparing the pre and post catalyst sensor data. During cruising, the pre catalyst senor will fluctuate around and lambda of 1. Some times above, sometime below. The three way catalyst has the ability to store oxygen, so it acts as a buffer. What you see at the rear sensor is fluctuation, but only about 25 or 50% as often. It's the slower fluctuation of the rear sensor that the DME uses to gauge the functionality of the catalyst.

    With race downpipes, you remove the catalysts, thereby causing both the front and rear sensor to fluctuate at the same rate. What the DP Fix does is take the fluctuations of only one rear sensor and divides it, sending the resulting signal to both rear sensor inputs.

    Innovate is fairly clear on their site that factors like age and altitude can make the Bosch wideband sensors inaccurate. Their LC-1 wideband system uses free air calibration to periodically reset the sensor's calibration and keep it accurate despite changing conditions. Obviously BMW does not expect the owner or the service department to do periodic free air calibrations of the two wideband sensors. The work around is using data from the rear sensor to keep the front wideband in check.

    As noted above, the DP Fix takes the output of one sensor, divides it, and sends the signal to both sensor inputs on the DME. What happens is the DME never gets the proper rear sensor signal from one of the sensors. It gets the signal from the other banks's sensor. The fact that the signal has been divided is of no consequence because it is averaged over time. So what the DME does is apply corrections to Bank 2 wideband based on data from Bank 1 rear sensor. Obviously these corrections are erroneous.

    As you can image, acting on erroneous data the Bank 2 sensor can no longer give an accurate reading. So you may see a divergence in lambda between banks because the closed loop control of the second bank is functioning with an inaccurate sensor, as it has had the wrong calibration applied to it. Or maybe you won't see the divergence, because the sensor is reading one thing, but the actual lambda is something different.

    Of course this is somewhat of a theory because no one has the source code for the DME. However, BMS does not recommend the DP Fix be left on the car for precisely this reason. I believe it was @themyst that was having mixture problems originally and it was traced back to the DP Fix with Terry's help.

    It would be nice if @Terry@BMS would add his two cents.
    Eppur si muove.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,059
    Rep Points
    1,149.7
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the pin P/Ns. I can finally wire up a clean WOTBox install.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    80
    Rep Points
    67.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    As I understand it, the way the car monitors catalyst operation is by comparing the pre and post catalyst sensor data. During cruising, the pre catalyst senor will fluctuate around and lambda of 1. Some times above, sometime below. The three way catalyst has the ability to store oxygen, so it acts as a buffer. What you see at the rear sensor is fluctuation, but only about 25 or 50% as often. It's the slower fluctuation of the rear sensor that the DME uses to gauge the functionality of the catalyst.

    With race downpipes, you remove the catalysts, thereby causing both the front and rear sensor to fluctuate at the same rate. What the DP Fix does is take the fluctuations of only one rear sensor and divides it, sending the resulting signal to both rear sensor inputs.

    Innovate is fairly clear on their site that factors like age and altitude can make the Bosch wideband sensors inaccurate. Their LC-1 wideband system uses free air calibration to periodically reset the sensor's calibration and keep it accurate despite changing conditions. Obviously BMW does not expect the owner or the service department to do periodic free air calibrations of the two wideband sensors. The work around is using data from the rear sensor to keep the front wideband in check.

    As noted above, the DP Fix takes the output of one sensor, divides it, and sends the signal to both sensor inputs on the DME. What happens is the DME never gets the proper rear sensor signal from one of the sensors. It gets the signal from the other banks's sensor. The fact that the signal has been divided is of no consequence because it is averaged over time. So what the DME does is apply corrections to Bank 2 wideband based on data from Bank 1 rear sensor. Obviously these corrections are erroneous.

    As you can image, acting on erroneous data the Bank 2 sensor can no longer give an accurate reading. So you may see a divergence in lambda between banks because the closed loop control of the second bank is functioning with an inaccurate sensor, as it has had the wrong calibration applied to it. Or maybe you won't see the divergence, because the sensor is reading one thing, but the actual lambda is something different.

    Of course this is somewhat of a theory because no one has the source code for the DME. However, BMS does not recommend the DP Fix be left on the car for precisely this reason. I believe it was @themyst that was having mixture problems originally and it was traced back to the DP Fix with Terry's help.

    It would be nice if @Terry@BMS would add his two cents.

    Great explanation, would be nice to know for sure what is really going on in the code, but does sound like the safest thing to do is live with the CEL.

    I wish terry would make a super cheap JB that just did auto code clearing and gauge sweeps because I like my GIAC stage 2, but would like to not have to look at the CEL without the DPFix (and the gauge sweep is just cool!)

    ROb
    2008 E93 MHD, HPF IC, Injen Intake
    2016 X5 35i JB Stage 1
    2013 C63 Eurocharged V6

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    80
    Rep Points
    67.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roadkillrob Click here to enlarge
    Great explanation, would be nice to know for sure what is really going on in the code, but does sound like the safest thing to do is live with the CEL.

    I wish terry would make a super cheap JB that just did auto code clearing and gauge sweeps because I like my GIAC stage 2, but would like to not have to look at the CEL without the DPFix (and the gauge sweep is just cool!)

    ROb
    So Terry emailed me and they make their CANTool which is exactly what I need for under 200 bucks, will auto clear my codes and give me the gauge sweep (new a couple weeks ago) a shift light and some other gauge hijack stuff - basically all the JB4 can features without the tune since I am flashed and does it through the OBDII port, so you don't even have to wire it in.

    Ordered one and will be pulling the DPFix and only using it when I need it!
    2008 E93 MHD, HPF IC, Injen Intake
    2016 X5 35i JB Stage 1
    2013 C63 Eurocharged V6

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Points
    999.1
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    As I understand it, the way the car monitors catalyst operation is by comparing the pre and post catalyst sensor data. During cruising, the pre catalyst senor will fluctuate around and lambda of 1. Some times above, sometime below. The three way catalyst has the ability to store oxygen, so it acts as a buffer. What you see at the rear sensor is fluctuation, but only about 25 or 50% as often. It's the slower fluctuation of the rear sensor that the DME uses to gauge the functionality of the catalyst.

    With race downpipes, you remove the catalysts, thereby causing both the front and rear sensor to fluctuate at the same rate. What the DP Fix does is take the fluctuations of only one rear sensor and divides it, sending the resulting signal to both rear sensor inputs.

    Innovate is fairly clear on their site that factors like age and altitude can make the Bosch wideband sensors inaccurate. Their LC-1 wideband system uses free air calibration to periodically reset the sensor's calibration and keep it accurate despite changing conditions. Obviously BMW does not expect the owner or the service department to do periodic free air calibrations of the two wideband sensors. The work around is using data from the rear sensor to keep the front wideband in check.

    As noted above, the DP Fix takes the output of one sensor, divides it, and sends the signal to both sensor inputs on the DME. What happens is the DME never gets the proper rear sensor signal from one of the sensors. It gets the signal from the other banks's sensor. The fact that the signal has been divided is of no consequence because it is averaged over time. So what the DME does is apply corrections to Bank 2 wideband based on data from Bank 1 rear sensor. Obviously these corrections are erroneous.

    As you can image, acting on erroneous data the Bank 2 sensor can no longer give an accurate reading. So you may see a divergence in lambda between banks because the closed loop control of the second bank is functioning with an inaccurate sensor, as it has had the wrong calibration applied to it. Or maybe you won't see the divergence, because the sensor is reading one thing, but the actual lambda is something different.

    Of course this is somewhat of a theory because no one has the source code for the DME. However, BMS does not recommend the DP Fix be left on the car for precisely this reason. I believe it was @themyst that was having mixture problems originally and it was traced back to the DP Fix with Terry's help.

    It would be nice if @Terry@BMS would add his two cents.
    The DP fix caused AFR imbalances between banks when I was running Cobb, but the fuel mixture codes were attributed to a bum O2 sensor. Probably got fouled when I blew the seal in my RBs and they were spewing wet oil out my exhaust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •