Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    543
    Rep Points
    555.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    10 out of 10 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Brusk version of a plug and play JB4

    I like the functionality you can get out of the JB4 for the price but no offense to Terry but I hated that it comes looking like some spare parts that belong to a computer. I understand that Terry is typically more worried about function and costs than how it looks. After adding the 2 Step and the Meth FSB the DME case looked like a mess so I decided to change it. I took an old Honda ECU I had laying around and cut it to fit next to the DME, stuffed it with the JB4, 2Step Relay and the Meth FSB, Added a heat sink (old case warped in under 2 weeks), Converted the DB25 connector to a 32Pin ECU connector and converted the DB9 to a USB connector. If would be nice if the next JB product was completely integrated with these options into a single case with a true plug and play setup with options on the board or in the case for 2Step and Meth, maybe you buy and add a sub board later but all the wiring is already for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,969
    Rep Points
    2,916.2
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    30


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Haha well done!
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,212
    Rep Points
    9,337.7
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    Definitely pretty cool. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    48
    Rep Points
    59.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    looks sick

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    543
    Rep Points
    555.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Definitely pretty cool. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the High Def version of that Logo came out alot better, then printed on vinyl.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    263
    Rep Points
    978.1
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge slick setup, nice job!
    H O O N

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    ^ Used the smiley I was going to use Click here to enlarge
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,568
    Rep Points
    1,861.7
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    sick.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    102
    Rep Points
    182.2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Looks great.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Rep Points
    99.6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I like that modification a lot. Wonder what It would cost retail for a JB4 redesigned in this way.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    50
    Rep Points
    87.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snertz Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge slick setup, nice job!
    hahaha, very cool set up op
    Click here to enlarge
    | 2010 335i | BurgerTuning | Raceland | CX Racing | Cyba | Tein | Escort | Varrstoen | Evolution Racewerks | Amuse Trunk | M-Sport Rear | M3 Front | Lux |


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    309
    Rep Points
    382.8
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Wow well done
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,212
    Rep Points
    9,337.7
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    We had to remold the JB4 enclosures recently to use a higher quality plastic and decided to bump the size up on them. Hard to see in this bad photo but its maybe 1" thicker as well. So there is going to be a lot more room in there. The problem with adding the FSB, relay, etc, all in one PCB is then the price goes up. And at $150 for the board upgrade I think the pricing is competitive as is. Anything is possible given enough demand though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,282
    Rep Points
    6,859.8
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    69


    Yes Reputation No
    Despite how cool this case looks I wouldn"t care how the case of the jb4 looks while it rests inside the DME box.
    especially if it raises the price of the product.
    the inside of the DME box looks messy by design. Adding a jb4 doesn't add that much clutter.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    543
    Rep Points
    555.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Despite how cool this case looks I wouldn"t care how the case of the jb4 looks while it rests inside the DME box.
    especially if it raises the price of the product.
    the inside of the DME box looks messy by design. Adding a jb4 doesn't add that much clutter.
    You already paid $$$$$ for the car why not spend an extra 10-20 bucks for something that saves you a little more time and looks better if it were an option? Adding a JB4 doesn't add much cluster but once you add the FSB and the 2Step the wires start to become an issue.. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that would love to pay a little extra for a true plug and play JB product that had the internally optional parts to add such upgrades without tapping into extra wiring to add an FSB or a 2 Step. How nice would it be to plug in a module and have the 2 step or plug it in and have the instructions say to only run 2 wires for Meth. How many 2 Step/FSB threads have already been created by unsure installers? How many people have posted up pics of a JB install that had any real show, no offense to BMS but with no Logos that could easily be a DB9 to DB25 Magic Jack for a LPT1 Port. Ok how many people remember what a LPT1 port is?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    543
    Rep Points
    555.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We had to remold the JB4 enclosures recently to use a higher quality plastic and decided to bump the size up on them. Hard to see in this bad photo but its maybe 1" thicker as well. So there is going to be a lot more room in there. The problem with adding the FSB, relay, etc, all in one PCB is then the price goes up. And at $150 for the board upgrade I think the pricing is competitive as is. Anything is possible given enough demand though.
    Not to get into any kind of design argument but I still think that at this time when there is about to be an almost "free" type of perspective on N54 power (with the open source option) I would market the crap out of "upgraded" and "integrated" type of a solution with a true plug and play solution that can offer much more than the "flash only" upgrades. I like that the new one has a Logo but would love to see you guys ditch the plastic case and DB connectors for a more automotive style look with a true heat dispersing unit that the new design only seems to mask. I personally think that the 2STEP option should become a standard and have the FSB prewired into a plug and play harness with an option plug in board expansion unit if the customer wants to use Meth.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,212
    Rep Points
    9,337.7
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Not to get into any kind of design argument but I still think that at this time when there is about to be an almost "free" type of perspective on N54 power (with the open source option) I would market the crap out of "upgraded" and "integrated" type of a solution with a true plug and play solution that can offer much more than the "flash only" upgrades. I like that the new one has a Logo but would love to see you guys ditch the plastic case and DB connectors for a more automotive style look with a true heat dispersing unit that the new design only seems to mask. I personally think that the 2STEP option should become a standard and have the FSB prewired into a plug and play harness with an option plug in board expansion unit if the customer wants to use Meth.
    I respect your opinion on it but there are lots of factors for us to consider on it. What's governed the enclosure and connector design from the beginning has been the fact that it sits in a temperature controlled sealed DME compartment. The DB25 was a readily available, reliable, and inexpensive system. Now if I could go back in time we might have gone with something different if for no reason but to add more than 25 pins. But rolling out a new connector system at this point would be a total disaster. There are over 15,000 of these systems out in use. Customers expect to be able to upgrade inexpensively. It's the same reason we've not put the FTDI chipset on the board. The BMS USB cable works well and there are thousands of them out there already. The DB25 connector system has proven to be exceptionally reliable. But what the DB25 can't do is carry more than an amp or so per pin. Which is a big reason why the FSB and relay are not included on the board. The other issue is that as a percentage of sales maybe 2% of customers ultimately add on the 2STEP and maybe 8% of customers ultimately add on the FSB. So the numbers are not really there to justify the cost and headache of putting those features in the single enclosure. As was mentioned before the DME box is messy to start with so even doing all this doesn't really make it *that* much nicer looking in the end.

    On the G5 ISO specifically the enclosure we're using just isn't rated for a high enough temperature. The G5 ISO board can go up to 120c without issue and runs from 40-80c in the current enclosure but the enclosure itself can deform at around 70c. So it's just the wrong enclosure for the job. But since redesigning the enclosure took so long a few months ago we also changed a couple components on the board that were responsible for 80% of the heat generation and now it runs well under 70c all the time. So now the old enclosure is fine for new boards. But, we'll make the new enclosure available to anyone who wants one. The new one is made of resin and can sustain up to 130c IIRC. It fits the old board and can also accommodate a new board with 100%+ more surface area should we ever find the need for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Rep Points
    39.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Terry, how much are you charging for the new enclosure?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,212
    Rep Points
    9,337.7
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    It's free. You'll just have to pay $4-5 shipping. When they come in we'll do a post for it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cleveland TN
    Posts
    543
    Rep Points
    555.1
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I respect your opinion on it but there are lots of factors for us to consider on it. What's governed the enclosure and connector design from the beginning has been the fact that it sits in a temperature controlled sealed DME compartment. The DB25 was a readily available, reliable, and inexpensive system. Now if I could go back in time we might have gone with something different if for no reason but to add more than 25 pins. But rolling out a new connector system at this point would be a total disaster. There are over 15,000 of these systems out in use. Customers expect to be able to upgrade inexpensively. It's the same reason we've not put the FTDI chipset on the board. The BMS USB cable works well and there are thousands of them out there already. The DB25 connector system has proven to be exceptionally reliable. But what the DB25 can't do is carry more than an amp or so per pin. Which is a big reason why the FSB and relay are not included on the board. The other issue is that as a percentage of sales maybe 2% of customers ultimately add on the 2STEP and maybe 8% of customers ultimately add on the FSB. So the numbers are not really there to justify the cost and headache of putting those features in the single enclosure. As was mentioned before the DME box is messy to start with so even doing all this doesn't really make it *that* much nicer looking in the end.

    On the G5 ISO specifically the enclosure we're using just isn't rated for a high enough temperature. The G5 ISO board can go up to 120c without issue and runs from 40-80c in the current enclosure but the enclosure itself can deform at around 70c. So it's just the wrong enclosure for the job. But since redesigning the enclosure took so long a few months ago we also changed a couple components on the board that were responsible for 80% of the heat generation and now it runs well under 70c all the time. So now the old enclosure is fine for new boards. But, we'll make the new enclosure available to anyone who wants one. The new one is made of resin and can sustain up to 130c IIRC. It fits the old board and can also accommodate a new board with 100%+ more surface area should we ever find the need for it.
    I completely understand the numbers driving the cost of the design. I would hope that those percentages are for the JB4 product as its entire life span and that since the release of the "ISO" G5 release that they have gone up. I really think that anybody that has optioned for the JB4 G5 would be fool not to automatically include the 2STEP's low cost just for the NLS feature alone so the marketing side of me would definitely have that as a standard feature. The Meth I can see as personal choice given each scenario.

    That's nice that you quickly found working solution for the previous transistor and resistors. Is there any other benefit for the people that are running the previous G5 design setup of no resistors and a hotter than anticipated solution to add these new resistors and swap the transistor?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    13.7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Better design then previous IMO.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    85
    Rep Points
    147.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Hi terry,

    is this going to be sold in the new batch mid august? is there plan to add a heat sink????/

    i see that JB4s are on backorder......
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We had to remold the JB4 enclosures recently to use a higher quality plastic and decided to bump the size up on them. Hard to see in this bad photo but its maybe 1" thicker as well. So there is going to be a lot more room in there. The problem with adding the FSB, relay, etc, all in one PCB is then the price goes up. And at $150 for the board upgrade I think the pricing is competitive as is. Anything is possible given enough demand though.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,212
    Rep Points
    9,337.7
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    Yes Reputation No
    We're not releasing a set time frame for the new JB4 enclosures. Once they are in anyone who wants one can have one. No heat sink is required.

    PS. On the new MOSFET it runs much cooler because it's technically much more efficient but that does not translate over to any tuning advantages of anything like that. The old transistor and new MOSFET both serve the same purpose.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-12-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    26
    Rep Points
    27.1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Awesome!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,254
    Rep Points
    32,701.1
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We had to remold the JB4 enclosures recently to use a higher quality plastic and decided to bump the size up on them. Hard to see in this bad photo but its maybe 1" thicker as well. So there is going to be a lot more room in there. The problem with adding the FSB, relay, etc, all in one PCB is then the price goes up. And at $150 for the board upgrade I think the pricing is competitive as is. Anything is possible given enough demand though.
    Why bump the size?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •