Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Help - Car not making the power it should

I know i've made a lot of threads about the issues i've had but I figured a new one would be better and more organized. My issue was originally the car throwing misfire codes anytime I got into high boost but that issue has gone away completely and now all I have is one bizzare problem. The car is not performing like it should and something is wrong.

So basically i've been getting weird rear o2 codes that aren't from being catless. It originally started with system check and trimm control codes a few months ago. I replaced both rear O2's but now i'm still getting codes. The car drives fine and smooth, and pulls hard but it's not nearly as fast as it used to be. When I do pulls with friends i'm not beating them by as much as I used to, even though i'm running a much more E85 mix. On JB4 G5 ISO with BMS flash and 8 gallons of E85, the car is only making 340-350 whp on virtual dyno... Previously with just JB4 and 3 gallons of E85 I would make over 4, so clearly something is wrong.

Yesterday I decided to pull the JB4 out and try running just the cobb. Loaded up the stage 2+ Aggressive map and did some logs. Again car felt fine and pulled hard, but when I plugged the logs into virtual dyno it made 290-320whp. When I turned the car off then restarted it I had an SES light. I checked codes and got

"P0056 ho2s heater control circuit (bank 2 sensor 2)

P2c9f lambda probe heating eith catalyst 2, control"

When I did my latest logs with the 8 gallons of E85 and BMS flash Terry said that the car was running lean despite timing being perfect which is usually a sign of O2's. Below i've attached the latest logs from the JB4 with 8 gallons of E85, and also my cobb logs that I took over the last few days of Stage 2+ Aggressive. If anyone has any ideas please help. I just ordered some new rear o2's and are going to try those again. This time once its on the lift i'm going to take a look and see if the o2's are hitting anything that might be causing them to go out.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I needed to explain everything and I really have no idea what to do anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jb4 logs.zip cobb logs.zip
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bump
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you running a 02 simulator? Try getting ahold of INPA and resetting all Adaptations, i believe @Tzu knows about some individual fuel adaptations that could help in INPA.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey man,

I looked at your first log and I noticed that your trims differ from bank to bank. Then looked at your AFRs and saw the same discrepancy. AFRs are spot on for bank 1, but are rich on bank 2. Notice how across the board bank 2 is running richer.. I'm not sure what could be wrong with your O2 but this points at nothing else in my opinion.

on another note, your LPFP is severely below target I wouldn't go that high on Ethanol unless I get a fuel pump upgrade.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Resetting your adaptions would be the first thing you should before proceeding.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Are you running a 02 simulator? Try getting ahold of INPA and resetting all Adaptations, i believe @Tzu knows about some individual fuel adaptations that could help in INPA.
    Nope no o2 simulator. I've tried resetting adaptations in the past with just the JB4 and it didn't help much.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Hey man,

I looked at your first log and I noticed that your trims differ from bank to bank. Then looked at your AFRs and saw the same discrepancy. AFRs are spot on for bank 1, but are rich on bank 2. Notice how across the board bank 2 is running richer.. I'm not sure what could be wrong with your O2 but this points at nothing else in my opinion.

on another note, your LPFP is severely below target I wouldn't go that high on Ethanol unless I get a fuel pump upgrade.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    Resetting your adaptions would be the first thing you should before proceeding.
    Yea I agree something is up with the o2's. I already ordered new rear Bosch O2's which will go in next Tuesday. While it's there i'm going to take a look while its on the lift and see if anything is hitting the o2's that might be making them go out.

So here's my next thing... Do you think I should just do the rears since thats the only ones i've gotten codes for? My issue is from what i've read AFR is controlled primarily by the pre-cat o2's and the rears are just for emissions. If that's the case, why would my rear o2's be messing with AFR's? Shouldn't I replace the front's also?
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you still have mid/rear cats? Have you checked them to see if either might be clogged?

It doesn't seem like this would be the case, but as others pointed out, you seem to have a problem with just one turbo/O2/bank and not the other. It seems likely it's either a real 02 sensor or wiring problem or a physical problem. Not sure a melted cat obstruction would do that but who knows.

Last thought is to monitor the suspect O2 sensor(s) in real-time maybe, either with a gauge or datalogging of some kind that will show each O2's output.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Do you still have mid/rear cats? Have you checked them to see if either might be clogged?

It doesn't seem like this would be the case, but as others pointed out, you seem to have a problem with just one turbo/O2/bank and not the other. It seems likely it's either a real 02 sensor or wiring problem or a physical problem. Not sure a melted cat obstruction would do that but who knows.

Last thought is to monitor the suspect O2 sensor(s) in real-time maybe, either with a gauge or datalogging of some kind that will show each O2's output.
    Nope no cats at all in this exhaust. Catless downpipes with a full single pipe 3.5" VRSF exhaust. Can the cobb monitor each O2's output live?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    INPA can show you each probes adaptations, heating circuit efficiency, and voltage. Suggest reading those, resetting and reading again after a few hard pulls. If it’s still out of whack, then change the sensor. It’s better to replace both banks at the same time. Although, two codes pointing to the same component sounds pretty definitive to me, unless it’s just a poor connection.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    Nope no cats at all in this exhaust. Catless downpipes with a full single pipe 3.5" VRSF exhaust. Can the cobb monitor each O2's output live?
    I've never used a Cobb AP so I can't comment there but what Tzu said sounds promising (though I've never used INPA either).

After rereading your first post again, it looks like there's obviously a problem with the wiring (eg melted, frayed etc). My reasoning is this:
    1) You're getting codes without the Jb4
    2) The codes you are getting are saying an O2 sensor heating element has a problem
    3) Your problem affects only a single bank
    4) The way O2 sensors work AFAIK is that rich = voltage, lean = less or no voltage. If you don't heat the O2 sensor properly, it should show less voltage or none at all as they require high heat to operate. If your heating element is indeed damaged or not working at all, your O2 sensor will either not work at all or read lean.

One way to know for sure is a little work, but if you can get the harness pin numbers from someone like @Terry@BMS, you might be able to perform a resistance test (and continuity) of the O2 sensor circuits from the DME harness pins all the way down to the connectors at the O2 sensor harness end. If anything is out of spec, you'll know what it is and if it's not a bad connector, you can slowly trace up the harness until you likely find a melted or frayed connection etc.

Car will need to be jacked up or on ramps and you may need a second pair of hands to hold a voltmeter probe on one end while you test the other.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    to simplify things I would just run 93 for now... and text/change your o2s
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    to simplify things I would just run 93 for now... and text/change your o2s
    Yea i've been running 93 for the last few days. With the JB4 the SES light only came on occasionally with codes but with the COBB it's on all the time with those same 2 codes.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    I've never used a Cobb AP so I can't comment there but what Tzu said sounds promising (though I've never used INPA either).

After rereading your first post again, it looks like there's obviously a problem with the wiring (eg melted, frayed etc). My reasoning is this:
    1) You're getting codes without the Jb4
    2) The codes you are getting are saying an O2 sensor heating element has a problem
    3) Your problem affects only a single bank
    4) The way O2 sensors work AFAIK is that rich = voltage, lean = less or no voltage. If you don't heat the O2 sensor properly, it should show less voltage or none at all as they require high heat to operate. If your heating element is indeed damaged or not working at all, your O2 sensor will either not work at all or read lean.

One way to know for sure is a little work, but if you can get the harness pin numbers from someone like @Terry@BMS, you might be able to perform a resistance test (and continuity) of the O2 sensor circuits from the DME harness pins all the way down to the connectors at the O2 sensor harness end. If anything is out of spec, you'll know what it is and if it's not a bad connector, you can slowly trace up the harness until you likely find a melted or frayed connection etc.

Car will need to be jacked up or on ramps and you may need a second pair of hands to hold a voltmeter probe on one end while you test the other.
    Hmm I guess that's definitely possible. I have new rear o2's at my house now then plans to have them installed Tuesday. I think if that and resetting adaptations doesn't work, i'm going to take the car to autocouture and explain everything to them then have them fix it.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    INPA can show you each probes adaptations, heating circuit efficiency, and voltage. Suggest reading those, resetting and reading again after a few hard pulls. If it’s still out of whack, then change the sensor. It’s better to replace both banks at the same time. Although, two codes pointing to the same component sounds pretty definitive to me, unless it’s just a poor connection.
    Ok i'm going to see if I can get ahold of someone with INPA to help me out then. I already have bank 1 and 2 for the rear o2's coming. Should I do the front also or no since they're not throwing codes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Little update. Ran cobb only for a few days and constantly was getting those two o2 sensor codes. Car is now at MNC performance and will be there for two weeks while i'm away on vacation. They're going to start with doing the two rear o2's and go from there and try to get everything all fixed. Once that's done, just ordered a 2.2 gallon meth kit so that will go in and hopefully baseline dyno, map 2 dyno, and then meth possibly also E85+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got an update from MNC via Instagram today. Looks like I was leaking boost out where the charge pipe meets up with the throttle body. Link to the video on their Instagram is below.

http://statigr.am/p/522493249191381924_55976505