Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

How bad was my alignment?

During an exciting trip to north Jersey, i couldnt avoid some major potholes etc.. I knew the car was slightly pulling so i took it in today.

How bad was it, and can someone explain what Camber & Toe are and how they affect the car?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Toe is the angle your wheels face in relation to the longitudinal axis of the car. in basic terms, your tires point in or out. Negative is out, positive is in.

Toe works different on RWD and FWD but in your case some toe in gives you greater straightline stability. Toe out improves steering response.

Camber is the vertical angle. This will affect your contact patch. If you want an understanding of this, watch the video about the camber tires.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When you are looking from the back of the car camber is the angle in or out vertically. /---\
    Toe is the same idea only it's the in or out angle if you were looking down on the car.
    /---\
    | |
    /---\

Camber helps with handling (when done correctly) and is also part of the stance craze. Toe just eats tires as they are basically dragging across the ground if they are not straight.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Pretty much what they said. What I don't like is that he just has your specs setup as 'in the green'...and they aren't even side to side...they are just in spec and they could be better.

I'm anal about my numbers. They have to match or be only .01 off. We have the top of the line hunter machine, same one that bmw uses....its so sensitive that .01 difference in total toe in the front will make the car drift left or right. With your rear toe set off like that, it affects the way the front steers.

Now it might not drift a lot but I set cars up to how in would drive my own. It would drive me nuts that my car tracks off to one side. I have a flat road to verify it on (always floods when it rains cuse it has no incline) so I know for sure that it's straight.

I usually set my toe in the rear to .14 and the front to .10. For an aggressive alignment I set rear toe at .15-.18 and front toe at .08-0. You really want some handling I will set it 1/8th" toe out in the front...but the car will want to wander all over the place on the road.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Pretty much what they said. What I don't like is that he just has your specs setup as 'in the green'...and they aren't even side to side...they are just in spec and they could be better.

I'm anal about my numbers. They have to match or be only .01 off. We have the top of the line hunter machine, same one that bmw uses....its so sensitive that .01 difference in total toe in the front will make the car drift left or right. With your rear toe set off like that, it affects the way the front steers.

Now it might not drift a lot but I set cars up to how in would drive my own. It would drive me nuts that my car tracks off to one side. I have a flat road to verify it on (always floods when it rains cuse it has no incline) so I know for sure that it's straight.

I usually set my toe in the rear to .14 and the front to .10. For an aggressive alignment I set rear toe at .15-.18 and front toe at .08-0. You really want some handling I will set it 1/8th" toe out in the front...but the car will want to wander all over the place on the road.

yea, i was looking at that.. i may have to come up for a visit afterall..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i had -3 camber after i dropped my Acura on H&R sport springs. i needed to buy a camber kit for the rear
    and i had to drive really far to find a place with a Hunter on a Lift because of the clearance. PITA

i think my toe in is bad on my car but i have a lot of other stuff going on in my life now.