Close

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    First off, it was given to me free and in that condition. I dont know how it was hacked or even if it truly does work. I was told that you can scan each control module separatley but if you do a full scan it will lock up.

So before you get all bent out of shape about me being a hypocrite and being a cheapass myself, im not. Hell if i can even find where i put it ill give it away for all i care. all i wanted to do was see if it would even work in its given state and do a read/write/flash whatever you call it.

And even so, isnt this whole thread about bypassing tuners and just doing your own maps? Saves you the $ of having to buy a cobb flashloader, isnt that taking money out of their pocket?
    Taking money from the pockets of others by means of competition is one thing, and taking money out of someone's pocket by means of breaking the law is a bit different I think. Either way, I don't like to see any piracy, or stolen maps, stolen software, etc. No matter who it is, Alpina, Cobb, Dinan, etc.
    Last edited by klipseracer; 08-07-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

My feeling on a hacked BT cable is this, BT did not develop the cable for this purpose. This would be an innovation on their product, one that they had no part in developing or supporting should a DME get bricked by using their cable to flash. Their cable is for code reading and diagnostic purposes not for flashing purposes. If people simply want to flash a friends car with a tune, I do not see how this negatively affects BT at all. Maybe I do not understand what BT stands to lose here but in the end the people who want BT cables for logging, code reading and diagnostics will still buy one for themselves and those who want to co-op purchase a cable to flash their cars (plus a few other cars) can do so without somehow infringing on BT's profitability. IMO if they are unwilling to sell a cable with lesser capability that can still flash the cars then they are not being reasonable and deserve to have their VIN lock restrictions manually removed. Spending 250+ on a BT cable vs 400 on an ugly gps unit box, IMO neither are very attractive options when you consider the software is totally free to the end user. I mean 250 is better than 400 but it is still absurdly high for a simple coms cable.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Njz Click here to enlarge
    My feeling on a hacked BT cable is this, BT did not develop the cable for this purpose. This would be an innovation on their product, one that they had no part in developing or supporting should a DME get bricked by using their cable to flash. Their cable is for code reading and diagnostic purposes not for flashing purposes. If people simply want to flash a friends car with a tune, I do not see how this negatively affects BT at all. Maybe I do not understand what BT stands to lose here but in the end the people who want BT cables for logging, code reading and diagnostics will still buy one for themselves and those who want to co-op purchase a cable to flash their cars (plus a few other cars) can do so without somehow infringing on BT's profitability. IMO if they are unwilling to sell a cable with lesser capability that can still flash the cars then they are not being reasonable and deserve to have their VIN lock restrictions manually removed. Spending 250+ on a BT cable vs 400 on an ugly gps unit box, IMO neither are very attractive options when you consider the software is totally free to the end user. I mean 250 is better than 400 but it is still absurdly high for a simple coms cable.
    You've missed the boat and the dock. There is no reason to hack the BT cable for any purpose related to flashing. You can flash using a cable with zero available vins. Which brings the question, why would anyone hack the diagnostic software vin limit if they just wanted to flash? The vin limitation is on the diagnostic software. Additionally we are in talks with BT to reduce the price to $180.

Also tell me, have you actually used the BT software? You do realize they were first to market with all the code clearing and logging, right? Your talking about the value of a product which was priced six years ago when this platform had barely emerged in today's context and calling it a basic comma cable which frankly does a lot more than you might think.
    Last edited by klipseracer; 08-07-2013 at 03:35 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Ok, so based on that information I do not see a reason to include a hacking tutorial on this cable in this thread since the diagnostic feature set is not required to perform the flashing. Thanks for clearing that up Klip.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

We need to get this to work with a $30 INPA cable. Only then it can be called almost free.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This talk of hacking a BT cable may guarantee instead of $179 for a 1VIN version they told me they'd do they instead only sell the 3VIN version for $287. How about all references to hacking a BT cable are removed from this thread? lol
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-07-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    We need to get this to work with a $30 INPA cable. Only then it can be called almost free.
    You're welcome to have at it when the source is posted. It's a bit tricky but should be doable. Expect to brick your DME a few times during development though so setup a bench flash station first.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

To me personally it doesn't matter if a hacking tutorial was posted or not. It's not like i'm going to be using the cable on several cars. The only people this would benefit are those who plan on making a business out of road tuning.

I just didn't like the idea that he'd ban discussion of it based on "liability" when there are other discussions that take place on this forum that are more dangerous.

"They're a (potential) vendor and we don't want to step on their toes" would have been good enough for me. No BS and perfectly reasonable. Why beat around the bush?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Taking money from the pockets of others by means of competition is one thing, and taking money out of someone's pocket by means of breaking the law is a bit different I think. Either way, I don't like to see any piracy, or stolen maps, stolen software, etc. No matter who it is, Alpina, Cobb, Dinan, etc.
    that is fair and consistent. i agree with you on all points.

but i want to emphasize that consistency is key. you can't pick and choose which companies you want to protect without coming off as a hypocrite.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    "They're a (potential) vendor and we don't want to step on their toes" would have been good enough for me. No BS and perfectly reasonable. Why beat around the bush?
    That is where I'm at with it. BT has provided me with a lot of assistance over the years and it would be a shame to step on their toes. I'd feel the same way if someone posted how to hack a Cobb to flash unlimited cars.

Now if someone wants to hack Shiv's products, I'd probably hypocritically not say anything. We're all human right? Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    That is where I'm at with it. BT has provided me with a lot of assistance over the years and it would be a shame to step on their toes. I'd feel the same way if someone posted how to hack a Cobb to flash unlimited cars.

Now if someone wants to hack Shiv's products, I'd probably hypocritically not say anything. We're all human right? Click here to enlarge
    The difference is he is posting his maps and xdf files publicly. Once you put things in the public domain, you expect them to be public. Nor did I sign or agree to anything prior to downloading. The BT Software you are required to accept the terms and conditions.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hey Terry, I saw Mike mention "I expect at some point in the future the JB4 will be able to flash your DME directly so you get the best of both worlds with it."

Is this something we have to look forward to in the near future (two months or so) or did he misspeak?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

That is definitely something I plan to work on in the future. It's tricky business but we have the JB4 sitting on the CAN bus. And have the functions to flash the DME from the CAN bus. So it's just a matter of details and development time. But before we even begin to look at that we'll want to make sure the current free flash software using the BT cables is 100% stable and bulletproof. And make sure our flash tuning is also 100% stable and bullet proof. So I can't put a time frame on it but I think " at some point in the future" is a good way to put it.

I expect Shiv will do the same thing with the procede.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

thanks Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

That is definitely something I plan to work on in the future. It's tricky business but we have the JB4 sitting on the CAN bus. And have the functions to flash the DME from the CAN bus. So it's just a matter of details and development time. But before we even begin to look at that we'll want to make sure the current free flash software using the BT cables is 100% stable and bulletproof. And make sure our flash tuning is also 100% stable and bullet proof. So I can't put a time frame on it but I think " at some point in the future" is a good way to put it.

I expect Shiv will do the same thing with the procede.
    I seriously doubt that, then he can't charge $400 for his tablet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

To me personally it doesn't matter if a hacking tutorial was posted or not. It's not like i'm going to be using the cable on several cars. The only people this would benefit are those who plan on making a business out of road tuning.

I just didn't like the idea that he'd ban discussion of it based on "liability" when there are other discussions that take place on this forum that are more dangerous.

Because they aren't a potential vendor and that is not the reasoning why the reasoning was already explained to you. Whether you like it or not doesn't concern me in the least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

that is fair and consistent. i agree with you on all points.

but i want to emphasize that consistency is key. you can't pick and choose which companies you want to protect without coming off as a hypocrite.
    You can absolutely choose what to do situationally. To do otherwise means everything is black or white making one come off as naive and juvenile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    The difference is he is posting his maps and xdf files publicly. Once you put things in the public domain, you expect them to be public. Nor did I sign or agree to anything prior to downloading. The BT Software you are required to accept the terms and conditions.
    How about that...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I seriously doubt that, then he can't charge $400 for his tablet.
    I expect buzz around that will fizzle once the e90post crowd realizes they can load the same maps for free without the 1980s tablet. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I expect buzz around that will fizzle once the e90post crowd realizes they can load the same maps for free without the 1980s tablet. Click here to enlarge
    This is true, although if the proceed ever does offer the ability to flash the dme I'm sure shiv will figure a way out to charge money for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

0 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can absolutely choose what to do situationally. To do otherwise means everything is black or white making one come off as naive and juvenile.
    You can absolutely choose to do what ever you want. You could turn around and donate the forum to Vishnu if you wanted. That's your prerogative.

That's not what's in question. The point is how these decisions contradict other things you've said and done.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because they aren't a potential vendor and that is not the reasoning why the reasoning was already explained to you. Whether you like it or not doesn't concern me in the least.
    Yes you've clearly displayed how much you do not care. lol.

Let's just agree to disagree then. You think i'm a bratty juvenile jerk-off, and I think you're an inconsistent hypocrite. Fair enough?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

That's not what's in question. The point is how these decisions contradict other things you've said and done.
    There is no contradiction once again there is only one in your head. Your point is invalid and incorrect. There's a big difference between someone discussing Alpina software you can't buy and not hosted for download here and hacking a BT cable you can that is hardware being hacked. Hosting instructions for it would be like hosting the actual Alpina software, get it? I'm not sure what you don't understand and I'm not sure why you think these two things are the same thing.

Let's just agree to disagree then. You think i'm a bratty juvenile jerk-off, and I think you're an inconsistent hypocrite. Fair enough?
    No not fair enough as only the former part of the statement is accurate.

I'm such a huge hypocrite for saying go buy a BT cable and for helping the community have a real open flashing solution. I think you're simply an idiot whining and crying about nothing. There isn't even a hack posted anyway you're making an issue out of nothing and crying censorship over nothing like a bratty juvenile jerk-off. Yep.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Can someone explain the following please given i'm an open source supporter very involved on many open source projects in Java out there, Electrical Engineering background:

1) will the source for this be hosted in a public source repo (github, bitbucket, etc)?
    2) how will contributors/commiters be chosen, criteria?
    3) what open source license will be applied to it?

I sincerely hope this project will truly be open source as discussed and its not being driven behind the scenes like what seemingly Shiv did with Rombinhood.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

LOL... to be fair, the OLD AP was another 1980s device, albeit at double the price.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Can someone explain the following please given i'm an open source supporter very involved on many open source projects in Java out there, Electrical Engineering background:

1) will the source for this be hosted in a public source repo (github, bitbucket, etc)?
    2) how will contributors/commiters be chosen, criteria?
    3) what open source license will be applied to it?

I sincerely hope this project will truly be open source as discussed and its not being driven behind the scenes like what seemingly Shiv did with Rombinhood.
    The short answer is, it's up to sticky. Maybe 5 of us have the source so it's not like anyone can decide to charge for it suddenly. Everyone is committed to keeping it open. But on the other hand we don't want to see "e90post flash software" posted either. So there will be some selectivity or terms applied to those who receive the source. It's all up to sticky on how that works though.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast