Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turbo dynamics stage 1

Hi guys I'm trying to find info on turbo dynamics stage 1 but no luck so looking to see if anyone's got these done. I've seen a stage 2 by enrita but that's all I've found on the web. In the uk there's not many turbo upgrade options so going down this route next month (sending my turbos off for overhauling plus waste gate rattle). Anyone in US tried these out? How much bhp could I be potentially pushing after cp-e downpipe, FMIC, stage 1 TD, ER charge pipe with forge DV's and a retune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Are you in a rush? Why not order from Rob or Tony? I can't imagine the cost of shipping is worth more than knowing you are getting a quality product.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I've had a look at RB turbos but being international, I thought if I had any problems I could deal with TD a lot easier. Plus then I'd have to send my turbos to Rob. Anyone in uk with RB's?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

TDs are very reliable. at least thats the only thing that never broke in my car LOL. i would not consider stage 1 and stage 2 are VERY expensive so just get RBs or VTT stage 2 .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Hmmm if you want similar performance find out what wheels they are using in stage 1 and 2:

Click here to enlarge

If you can wait a month or so pick up the new Vargas stage 2s w/ all the options. They look like they should be the best option around for upgraded stock frame turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    TDs are very reliable. at least thats the only thing that never broke in my car LOL. i would not consider stage 1 and stage 2 are VERY expensive so just get RBs or VTT stage 2 .
    I respect how much effort time and money you must have put in to your car! Considered stage 2 but includes so much more work. Yes I know the output is a serious weapon of a car but don't want to go down that route. So the margin between stage 1 and 2 is quite vast? The car would need so much more time attention and money once you've got the stage 2. Some of the things that put me off. Plus I'm the type of person that would end up opening a never ending can of worms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Hmmm if you want similar performance find out what wheels they are using in stage 1 and 2:

Click here to enlarge

If you can wait a month or so pick up the new Vargas stage 2s w/ all the options. They look like they should be the best option around for upgraded stock frame turbos.
    Your right I have been eyeing the Vargas turbos up. Again it's just the international side that puts me off. I ordered cp-e down pipe but not much can go wrong. Turbos? If I get a problem I reckon it will be a lot harder to deal with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

stage 1 is a waste of money. either you upgrade the turbine or keep stock turbos...
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not much difference over stock turbos? Reason why I'm upgrading turbos is down to waste gate rattle. When I spoke to them over the phone the guy said there good for 500bhp with some tuning and bolt ons? So your advice is scrap stage 1 and just go all out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes and wg rattle is there as well but i dont care much as long as they last ( they upgrade the wgs )

go stage 2 or stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

If it makes you feel any better we have MANY international customers. While problems can occur, we have had none so far. If you did have any and the blame was the turbos, just ship them back and we will take care of you no questions asked. I mean the stage 1 TD turbos are 1600 Sterling with VAT for ONE turbo, thats $2500 dollars or $5000 for a full stage 1 upgrade, did they mention wastegate repairs are EXTRA. You can buy our stage 2's which will support a lot more HP and go FBO for that price. Or buy our stage 1's which have a better flowing compressor wheel and come with all brand new wastegate parts for less then one of their turbos, SHIPPED. Seems like a pretty easy choice considering we have plenty of international guys ordering with no real issues doing so. If you have any more questions go ahead and email me, Tony@vargasturbo.com. But spending that kind of money on a set of stage 1 turbos with no wastegate upgrade seems almost crazy with the other options available to you. Just my .02

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 123ersan Click here to enlarge
    Not much difference over stock turbos? Reason why I'm upgrading turbos is down to waste gate rattle. When I spoke to them over the phone the guy said there good for 500bhp with some tuning and bolt ons? So your advice is scrap stage 1 and just go all out?
    Also be advised this number they are giving you is crank HP not WHP which we all use. 500 BHP is about 430 WHP. You can get that out of stockers with proper tuning. All things to consider. Do not forget, these stage 1's they offer are using the TINY stock thrust parts which do not like the high levels of force they see at these levels. Which is why you see many stockers lasting thousands of miles on a stock or mild tune and going bad in 2-3000 miles once you really start to push them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'm in the UK with RB's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Rob or Tony for that matter. The tuning scene in the USA is far more advanced than here in the UK and prices and technology are far better even once you take into shipping and taxes.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Also be advised this number they are giving you is crank HP not WHP which we all use. 500 BHP is about 430 WHP. You can get that out of stockers with proper tuning. All things to consider. Do not forget, these stage 1's they offer are using the TINY stock thrust parts which do not like the high levels of force they see at these levels. Which is why you see many stockers lasting thousands of miles on a stock or mild tune and going bad in 2-3000 miles once you really start to push them.
    exactly , i bought the TDs because i could not wait for the RBs at that time, we are talking about 2 years ago. NOW i would get the VTT kit with smallest snails. unfortunately vargas is no giving me a good deal :-) (joking)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. Helped me make my mind up! Scrap TD il be going for Vargas me thinks. Taking time to post earns my respect and potential moneys. Could you email me prices for stage 1 and 2 please Tony? Idnan I'd love to see the car. Would you be at Gaydon bmw festival this year?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. Helped me make my mind up! Scrap TD il be going for Vargas me thinks. Taking time to post earns my respect and potential moneys. Could you email me prices for stage 1 and 2 please Tony? Idnan I'd love to see the car. Would you be at Gaydon bmw festival this year?
    No problem, glad I could help. What is your direct email. Feel free to pm it to me. I always like to transition off the forum for any direct contact with a customer.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 07-30-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

stock turbos are good for 500BHP though, so that's not a massive claim haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If it makes you feel any better we have MANY international customers. While problems can occur, we have had none so far. If you did have any and the blame was the turbos, just ship them back and we will take care of you no questions asked. I mean the stage 1 TD turbos are 1600 Sterling with VAT for ONE turbo, thats $2500 dollars or $5000 for a full stage 1 upgrade, did they mention wastegate repairs are EXTRA. You can buy our stage 2's which will support a lot more HP and go FBO for that price. Or buy our stage 1's which have a better flowing compressor wheel and come with all brand new wastegate parts for less then one of their turbos, SHIPPED. Seems like a pretty easy choice considering we have plenty of international guys ordering with no real issues doing so. If you have any more questions go ahead and email me, Tony@vargasturbo.com. But spending that kind of money on a set of stage 1 turbos with no wastegate upgrade seems almost crazy with the other options available to you. Just my .02
    or 750GBP+20% VAT to upgrade a turbo you already have.. which is a hassle :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I doubt my car will be ready before then, I have to fit the Aquamist meth kit and get it tuned still. Whereabouts in the UK are you from? I only live about 30mins from Gaydon so might pop down.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have been ordering stuff for my car from the US for 4 years now, and only very rarely had serious problems but those were mostly dealt with very quickly.

I also got the RBs without hassle, Rob is a great guy to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate doing the same with Vargas either.

As far as your first question is concerned, I do know someone who had the TD stage 1 turbos on his car (before he got the stage 2), that was E92Fan from over at e90post. He did say that the improvement over the stock turbos was not negligible at all, but that the stage 2 turbos were again in another league.

Today with all the options we have and the pricing of those, I would not consider going with Turbo Dynamics either as the value for money is simply very poor. Swapping turbos is the same work whether you get stage 1 or 2, and if you can get a stage 2 (RB or Vargas) for half the price of the TD stage 1 option, the choice is rather clear I think.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    I doubt my car will be ready before then, I have to fit the Aquamist meth kit and get it tuned still. Whereabouts in the UK are you from? I only live about 30mins from Gaydon so might pop down.
    I'm in Kent. Bit if a drive for me but always a good turn out. I'm away for Santa pod this year which I really wanted to do but there's always next time. I've opted for stage 1 Vargas in the end because of funds at the moe but can always change to stages 2's in the future. Tony's been good dealing with so far and has been helpful. Never seen a car run on meth before. You American guys are way ahead of tuning out thereClick here to enlarge