Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    Well we all know what choice they won't be making. A new Z4M with a fixed roof and a proper motor would just make way too much sense for BMW these days. They'd rather compete in the SUV and city car segments than make a competitor to the Merc AMG roadsters...
    It's easy to claim you won in a segment when your only competition is golf carts.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    FIA does not regulate ALMS. FIA is the sanctioning body of the WEC, where BMW does not run the Z4 GTE. IMSA is governing body of ALMS. They have a partnership with ACO, but IMSA in round about way makes some rules adjustments in their series. Sometimes leaving teams to have to make changes to cars, in order for them to meet regulations for races like 24hr Le Mans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    FIA does not regulate ALMS. FIA is the sanctioning body of the WEC, where BMW does not run the Z4 GTE. IMSA is governing body of ALMS. They have a partnership with ACO, but IMSA in round about way makes some rules adjustments in their series. Sometimes leaving teams to have to make changes to cars, in order for them to meet regulations for races like 24hr Le Mans.
    So why is BMW allowed to race?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    When they lose, they'll pack it up and go home. I'm so sick of BMW acting like a teenage girl.
    I remember reading in articles that they already have plans to run the Z4 in 2014 as well. With the merger of Grand-AM/ALMS, rules and regulations are still kinda fuzzy right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I remember reading in articles that they already have plans to run the Z4 in 2014 as well. With the merger of Grand-AM/ALMS, rules and regulations are still kinda fuzzy right now.
    This a load of BS and has never been properly explained. I'm amazed nobody is asking questions.

Time to do a little investigative work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're right on point, Sticky.

What's ironic is that the X5M / X6M actually do sell. The E89 Z4 is quite an eye catch, and it'd be even more so with the M treatment. Finding a quality past gen Z4M coupe is actually difficult, so I also agree the BMW is holding out on their core demographic.

It would really be a shame if the E89 Z4M wasn't brought to market, but if BMW can do away with M3 coupes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This a load of BS and has never been properly explained. I'm amazed nobody is asking questions.

Time to do a little investigative work.
    It would be nice to hear a concrete answer.

What IMSA essentially did was allow BMW to tweak the FIA GT3 Z4 to meet ALMS regulations. Not giving any reason why they where allowed to do that in the first place. No other team in GTE paddock has done that.

Here is what makes it even more complicated. With the merger, the ALMS GTE and Grand Am GT classes are staying separate classes. They will be named GTLM and GTD. GTLM being an exact carry over of the ALMS GTE class. But here is where it gets interesting, the GTD class will also allow for FIA GT3 cars will minor modifications. All while BMW runs a tweaked Z4 GT3 in GTLM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Soon the S65 will go out of production. What will they do then?

Do they plan on dropping out of endurance racing?
    No, next year the rules for Le Mans change and you can basically run any engine you want. Each car has a certain amount of fuel (gas or diesel) per lap and as long as your car doesn't use more fuel than that, the engine regulations are totally open.

So here comes my theory, The E92 M3 is out of production and BMW didn't want to race with their old body style at a time when they're trying to get everyone excited about the 4 series. The F80 M3/M4 isn't ready yet and obviously they wouldn't want to reveal that race car before the street cars are shown, and the turbo motor in that car isn't legal to race this year. So BMW asks for a one year exemption and as long as they're getting special treatment, they decide to drop the S65 into the smaller Z4 chassis and that's how we end up where we are today.

I am almost 100% certain BMW will never build a road version of the Z4 with the S65, it really pains me to say that because I would be the first one in line to buy such a car but as someone said above, if they only race the car this year they aren't required to homologate it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    No, next year the rules for Le Mans change and you can basically run any engine you want. Each car has a certain amount of fuel (gas or diesel) per lap and as long as your car doesn't use more fuel than that, the engine regulations are totally open
    I am fully aware of the merger, as you can see by the post above yours. Is the full rules book for 2014 out yet? How do you know they can run any engine?

From everything I had heard the ALMS GTE class carries over exactly as it was and becomes the GTLM class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12