Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Talking Vishnu engine failures, blown motors?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    There you go being deceitful again. Please tell me about these engine failures. I know of one failure (maxboost) from 2 years ago where a car was running a 15psi map, overheated and got a leaky head gasket. And I know of another (edo) who's timing belt skipped teeth and the pistons took out all the valves. Not exactly on the same playing field as what happened here. If you know of any more that are actually tuning related, fill me in.

Shiv

way late but funny how time distorts the memory.. from a recent discussion with "maxboost" brother
    Click here to enlarge

headgasket/piston.. its all the same though i guess Click here to enlarge

**edit, cant get bigger.. link here http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...98d97891-1.jpg
    Last edited by LostMarine; 09-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    **edit, cant get bigger.. link here
    If you click the pic it expands...

So what is this about? Shiv blew a motor?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

hes showing the discrepancy in what shiv stated, its not really a big deal imo though, he stated max boost and edo blew motors.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    hes showing the discrepancy in what shiv stated, its not really a big deal imo though, he stated max boost and edo blew motors.

we all knew it happened, just pointin out that WHAT caused it, and what ACTUALLY broke must have been forgotten, i mean, with so many blown motors through his tuning career who can keep track right Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

we all knew it happened, just pointin out that WHAT caused it, and what ACTUALLY broke must have been forgotten, i mean, with so many blown motors through his tuning career who can keep track right Click here to enlarge
    What did cause it? It also says that the gearbox was blown and list of other things. I think you should drop the fan club attitude as this thread is not related to tuners blowing motors or what someones tuning solution didn't prevent from happening.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

no but this one is Click here to enlarge

just stating facts here.. find the EVo's and Subi's he's blown up.. im sure their owners that asked to push the limits blamed themselves, not the tuner......well, depending on who you ask that is

not hard to find, just google it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

just stating facts here.. find the EVo's and Subi's he's blown up.. im sure their owners that asked to push the limits blamed themselves, not the tuner......well, depending on who you ask that is

not hard to find, just google it
    Well, I don't understand. If motors have been blown in the past in the Subi/Evo world when pushing the platform why jump all over Terry when Shiv has made tuning mistakes, unforeseen or otherwise?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, I don't understand. If motors have been blown in the past in the Subi/Evo world when pushing the platform why jump all over Terry when Shiv has made tuning mistakes, unforeseen or otherwise?

because thats what used car salesman would do? i dunno.. and its not as though he didnt do in a few N54's as well..

i find it intriguing that I can run 21psi, and kissed 22psi more thn a few occasions and i havent suffered any failures yet.. makes ya think it was something else, like any # of issues brought up, mostly the lack of octane, or injector failure, as opposed to tune as some would have you think..

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Blowing up other platforms is easier then blowing up this platform. As for you kissing 22psi, so what. Actually psi rarly blows a motor if everything is kept in check, but eventually it will fail. With upgraded snails I am willing to bet you are safer at 21 psi vs some1 pushing 20psi with stockers on these glory runs/dynos. With a bigger turbine, comes more pressure, but less heat. As you know heat leads to detonation. If a pump doesnt fail, the injectors work, and the octane is there, its hard to blame terry/shiv/cpe/giac/whoever for blowing up motors.

Try running 400wtq on a sti.....good luck, cause it because a time bomb. Do you remember what happened to awdgotu from n54 tech? Blew the evo SKY HIGH racing qmax. Funny thing is that I told him he would blow up soon after I saw his "tune". So is the tune to blame if he requested to do something stupid, or is he to blame?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Actually psi rarly blows a motor if everything is kept in check, but eventually it will fail.
    Huh? Eventually it will fail, well then it isn't rare. Too much boost does in its fair share of motors, the statement contradicts itself as you admit to it.

So is the tune to blame if he requested to do something stupid, or is he to blame?
    Some responsibility on both?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Blowing up other platforms is easier then blowing up this platform. As for you kissing 22psi, so what. Actually psi rarly blows a motor if everything is kept in check, but eventually it will fail. With upgraded snails I am willing to bet you are safer at 21 psi vs some1 pushing 20psi with stockers on these glory runs/dynos. With a bigger turbine, comes more pressure, but less heat. As you know heat leads to detonation. If a pump doesnt fail, the injectors work, and the octane is there, its hard to blame terry/shiv/cpe/giac/whoever for blowing up motors.

Try running 400wtq on a sti.....good luck, cause it because a time bomb. Do you remember what happened to awdgotu from n54 tech? Blew the evo SKY HIGH racing qmax. Funny thing is that I told him he would blow up soon after I saw his "tune". So is the tune to blame if he requested to do something stupid, or is he to blame?

right, I think we are saying the same thing. 2 events talked about in the same sentences.

1, Enrita's motor. 22 psi, low octane- and other running issues before-hand, so who is to blame?
    2. MAXBOOST's N54. 15 psi race map, ms109 racefuel and cracked piston-what failed-so who is to blame?

all i was trying to bring back to light was that failures have happend , but under VERY different circumstances

if the simple fact that 21/22psi blows motors, then why am i still spooling? see my point? now im not saying i run everyday at 21/22, but i have and will some more. just waiting on more breakthroughs already being discussed in other threads here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    In fairness MaxBoost and VK, two of the N54 guys who blew up publicly with Shiv's tuning, were both using his v2 system. That thing was a total disaster. It would show 15psi on the interface and then run 22psi on a mechanical gauge. I witnessed it several times with my own eyes.

On Entrita we both know what happened and both take plenty of blame. It was avoidable. All we can do from that experience is learn to pay better attention to details and move on. I've blown up a few camaro/corvette motors as well. Fortunately only testing cars I owned. When you've been pushing the boundaries for ~15 years it comes with the territory. Very happy to report never a N54 stock turbo motor damaged by a JB tune. That is saying something with almost 10,000 out there when you add up all the various models (JB1, JB2, JBX, JB+, JB3) sold over the past three years. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 09-07-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Not to jump on anyones bandwagon but I remember when I first started on e90. I had come across the procede and told my dsm friends about it. They promptly told me that if I put one of his systems on my car they would ban me.

I asked them why so serious about it? They proceeded to show me a bunch of links to other forums about peoples cars blowing up after switching to his tune. I thought it would be different on the BMW platform but some people are just so ignorant because 'well I drive a BMW and they made it better so it won't blow up like an evo or sti would'...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Its strange how everyone on the internet is a forensic investigator that can prove what causes failures. Once the car is out of the tuners hands it is also out of his responsibility. In most cases people decide to scratch around themselves and that's when catastrophic failures occur especially on cars such as the Subaru which has serious failures in stock form.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    If the n54 dme wasn't as quick as it is you would have people blaming the jb3 daily. However that's not the case. Put a progressive boost controller that offset fueling (jb3. On an evolution or still or ms3 ect and those cars will blow sky high in a matter of weeks. Luckily as we know the n54 is rather idiot proof to a point and very forgiving.