Thread: Lightening Flywheels - An Excercise in Rotational Dynamics

dzenno@PTF is offline Supporting Vendor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Post Lightening Flywheels - An Excercise in Rotational Dynamics

Just read a pretty cool article on lightweight flywheels and their effect on acceleration, pretty significant I must say...In case you're lazy and don't want to read through it basically it says that lightweight flywheels do not increase horsepower but majorly increase acceleration of the car as well as free up UP by making the engine rotate less mass...the only downside is the chatter on idle but with a touch higher idle RPM (say around 850rpm) the chatter on our cars goes away so that's a non-issue (Shiv, can't wait for this feature ) What struck me most is the equivalent theoretical mass you're removing off your car by reducing the rotational mass in the flywheel....we all know lighter wheels/tires help but this I didn't expect to be as dramatic....

A few days ago I got a single mass flywheel installed on the car along with a new clutch and I have to tell you there's definitely improvement in acceleration. Need to whip out my vbox and see what changed pretty soon..

here's a URL to the article:
    http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/FLYWHEEL.htm

2. #ADS

Sticky is offline Regular User

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

You got the clutchmasters flywheel, nice. How much does it run and who did you buy it from?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Clutchmasters makes great products!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Glad you like the mod and it's working well for you. Hopefully one day there will be a straight decision/answer on the harmonic side of things to set our minds at ease.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

Got it from STETT Performance a few months back but just got it installed along with their clutch..both were around $1300 group buy pricing which i think STETT will still honor..check e90post

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    heck e90post
    The point is to get all the information here, not redirect Click here to enlarge

Anyway, can the flywheel be purchased by itself?

Another thing, do you really feel the difference is that great? If we can see the difference in the Vbox numbers that will add some insight but I don't believe the impact will really be all that great.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The point is to get all the information here, not redirect
    Isnt that what you don n54tech all the time? Click here to enlarge

As soon as my diff issue is sorted out i'll try to do some runs and see impact...dont know what to expect in terms of numbers really as i also got my LSD installed so that's another major contributing factor...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

so its like dropping 100lbs in first, then 40lbs in second and so on? seems like a pretty practical mod.. wonder who is using them already and why they would leave them out of their mod list?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

snt that what you don n54tech all the time?
    Yep, to get the information here Click here to enlarge

As soon as my diff issue is sorted out i'll try to do some runs and see impact...dont know what to expect in terms of numbers really as i also got my LSD installed so that's another major contributing factor...
    No hurry, just want to see the difference. Still, there will probably be too many variables to get a clear picture (LSD, weather). Hopefully it shows positively.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so its like dropping 100lbs in first, then 40lbs in second and so on? seems like a pretty practical mod.. wonder who is using them already and why they would leave them out of their mod list?
    The chatter is one reason.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes, but i was referring to who has them and not openly admitting it when they post their mod list..

as in if i were to say "highest no N20 dyno record" and leave out the RB's in my mod list

just conjecture though, but interested to see the realworld results.. if its worth 1mph or more, its definatly worth it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

As far as i know not many ppl are running them as they arent cheap mods and they do make your car noticeably more "noisy at idle with the clutch disengaged" unless you can set your tune up so that it idles at 850rpm-900rpm and then noise is next to none (anxiously waiting for this feature in my tune)...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Thanks to an overwhelming volume of forum, online, phone and local orders Clutch Masters has authorized us to drop pricing and extend this for a little while longer. Get your orders in now, we're even adding in FREE GROUND SHIPPING in the Continental US!!

New Pricing:

FX100 (450 ft/lbs) - retail $729 - GB: $570
    FX300 (510 ft/lbs) - retail $845 - GB: $660
    FX400 (575 ft/lbs) - retail $845 - GB: $660
    TD850 “full street” (675 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399
    TD850 “street and race” (775 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399
    TD850 “race” (925 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399

2 Piece 16lb Billet Aluminum Flywheel
    (FX100, FX300 and FX400 only. Flywheel included with TD850) - retail $895 - GB: $655

PLUS:
    FREE GROUND SHIPPING - save an addtional $25

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A limited time offer brought to you EXCLUSIVELY by:

In conjunction with:

The leading company in clutch performance technology has exclusively selected STETT Performance to bring you this LIMITED TIME ONLY offer. We have put together a group buy deal on the widely acclaimed Clutch Masters’ 135i/335i line of performance clutches. From the entry level FX100 to the beastly 850 Twin Disc, there is a clutch application here for you.

WHAT MAKES CLUTCH MASTERS BETTER THAN THE REST?

- Greater clamping force with minimal pedal pressure: By re-engineering the leverage or fulcrum point on the pressure plate through their Hi-Leveragetm technique, Clutch Masters has increased clamping power, often without changing pedal pressure.

- Heat Treating: The diaphragm, or spring, is heat treated to increase spring tension for 10-40% more clamping force. This typically makes the diaphragm more brittle and more subject to premature failure. Many high performance clutch manufacturers use this procedure. Clutch Masters has perfected a more precise method of heat-treating its diaphragms to maintain consistent clamping force without compromising structural integrity.

- Double Diaphragm: The double diaphragm is a method of increasing clamping force by stacking two diaphragms on top of each other. Clutch Masters uses two separate heat treating processes, one for each diaphragm, to ensure perfect compatibility between the two diaphragms.

- Thicker Diaphragm: A thicker (than stock) diaphragm allows extra clamping force but is considered to be an on or off style clutch. Smooth engagement is severely compromised with the thick diaphragm due to the reduced elasticity of the thicker material. Clutch masters does not use this technique.

- Hi-Leverage Pressure Plate: By re-engineering the pressure plate leverage ring (moving it closer to the pivot point), Clutch Masters solves the clamping vs. pedal pressure problem.

- The Difference: Clutch Masters clutches are true High Performance Clutch Systems and are technologically superior to anything currently on the market. Clutch Masters uses Hi-Leverage technology in their pressure plates, which significantly increases clamping force with no unnecessary increase in pedal pressure. Discs are designed either with reduced Marcel or a solid hub design to take advantage of our Hi-Leverage pressure plate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

Taken from STETT Performance's group buy thread in case anyone is interested...you can see which items i went with in my sig:

==========================

Thanks to an overwhelming volume of forum, online, phone and local orders Clutch Masters has authorized us to drop pricing and extend this for a little while longer. Get your orders in now, we're even adding in FREE GROUND SHIPPING in the Continental US!!

New Pricing:

FX100 (450 ft/lbs) - retail $729 - GB: $570
    FX300 (510 ft/lbs) - retail $845 - GB: $660
    FX400 (575 ft/lbs) - retail $845 - GB: $660
    TD850 “full street” (675 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399
    TD850 “street and race” (775 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399
    TD850 “race” (925 ft/lbs) - retail $2900 - GB: $2399

2 Piece 16lb Billet Aluminum Flywheel
    (FX100, FX300 and FX400 only. Flywheel included with TD850) - retail $895 - GB: $655

PLUS:
    FREE GROUND SHIPPING - save an addtional $25

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A limited time offer brought to you EXCLUSIVELY by:

In conjunction with:

The leading company in clutch performance technology has exclusively selected STETT Performance to bring you this LIMITED TIME ONLY offer. We have put together a group buy deal on the widely acclaimed Clutch Masters’ 135i/335i line of performance clutches. From the entry level FX100 to the beastly 850 Twin Disc, there is a clutch application here for you.

WHAT MAKES CLUTCH MASTERS BETTER THAN THE REST?

- Greater clamping force with minimal pedal pressure: By re-engineering the leverage or fulcrum point on the pressure plate through their Hi-Leveragetm technique, Clutch Masters has increased clamping power, often without changing pedal pressure.

- Heat Treating: The diaphragm, or spring, is heat treated to increase spring tension for 10-40% more clamping force. This typically makes the diaphragm more brittle and more subject to premature failure. Many high performance clutch manufacturers use this procedure. Clutch Masters has perfected a more precise method of heat-treating its diaphragms to maintain consistent clamping force without compromising structural integrity.

- Double Diaphragm: The double diaphragm is a method of increasing clamping force by stacking two diaphragms on top of each other. Clutch Masters uses two separate heat treating processes, one for each diaphragm, to ensure perfect compatibility between the two diaphragms.

- Thicker Diaphragm: A thicker (than stock) diaphragm allows extra clamping force but is considered to be an on or off style clutch. Smooth engagement is severely compromised with the thick diaphragm due to the reduced elasticity of the thicker material. Clutch masters does not use this technique.

- Hi-Leverage Pressure Plate: By re-engineering the pressure plate leverage ring (moving it closer to the pivot point), Clutch Masters solves the clamping vs. pedal pressure problem.

- The Difference: Clutch Masters clutches are true High Performance Clutch Systems and are technologically superior to anything currently on the market. Clutch Masters uses Hi-Leverage technology in their pressure plates, which significantly increases clamping force with no unnecessary increase in pedal pressure. Discs are designed either with reduced Marcel or a solid hub design to take advantage of our Hi-Leverage pressure plate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

oh if only i bought a manual....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)

Enough info to merit moving this to the N54 section.