Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Siren whistle sound = dead transmission (in this case, at least...)

Just thought I would post this in case anyone else experienced the same thing... a couple weeks ago, my car would make the sound that those old siren whistles some of us may have bought as kids did every time I pressed the gas (regardless of gear... even in park).

Also, it would seem to slip out of gear and go into limp mode (Yellow Gear warning light) occasionally... the weekend after last, it went into limp mode/wouldn't catch the gears 3-4 times in under a mile. I turned down a street I'd never gone down before and the only available parking lot to leave my car in just happened to be a place that fixes European cars... that was pretty wild.

Anyway, I had them check the diagnostics (I can't seem to get the damned cable connected between my laptop and car... honestly, I didn't try too hard, though) and here's what they saw:

4f89egs ratio monitoring gear shift 3-4
    4f85egs ratio clutch E
    4f81egs ratio clutch A

They saw a BMW Service Bulletin that said fixing 4f81egs ratio clutch A *might* fix everything... it was a $600 job and only is about a 50/50 chance that it will resolve all the issues.

That didn't work.

I had the car towed to BMW where they ran their diagnostic and came back with a couple other clutch pack codes. Quoted price for a new transmission: $8328. Eff that.

Here's a message I got in PM about my problem (paraphrased):

Just to give you some advice, the whirrling noise you heard with reving the engine was your transmission pump being starved because you had a transmission fluid leak. Now you ruined your clutch packs in your transmission. I had the exact same noise and outcome. It is hard to spot the leak because the fluid is light brown and looks like water on the floor. My advice is find a good transmission shop and get it rebuild it can range from 2-3k. A lot better then the 8k option.

I decided to get it rebuilt (it is in the shop presently) for $3-4k. $#@!ty thing is, I bought this car about 90 days ago... it had 86,000 miles on it and now is only at 88ish. Due to NYS Lemon Law, cars over 80k miles are only warrantied for 1,000 miles/1 month.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Always check the transmission fluid at the first sign of an issue.

Hope you are back on the road soon.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Wow that sucks, I'd be pissed
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Wow that sucks, I'd be pissed
    Yeah, I'm not super happy about it, and the seller (who was a dealer) wasn't much help. Oh well... this transmission rebuild comes with a 2yr/24k mi warranty.

Can't wait for it to be done... I'd really like to get that Alpina flash on there and play with the open source thing you guys are doing once it's done (assuming I can connect my car to my computer... Click here to enlarge )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Always check the transmission fluid at the first sign of an issue.
    Never heard that before... although I am, admittedly, not much of a "car guy" as far as being mechanically savvy. That said, I'm sure there are DIYs aplenty to check fluid levels and such. I will check around for those for next time (even as I hope there isn't a 'next time').

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Hope you are back on the road soon.
    Thanks! They are looking at possibly Tuesday or Wednesday next week...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

That won't OP if the previous owner ran it dry though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    That won't OP if the previous owner ran it dry though...
    It worked well for the first couple months and I really didn't get that sound until about 2-3 weeks ago. I love the 335, but after I learned how much transmission work costs, I kinda kicked myself for trading in my 02 330i that had no issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBall Click here to enlarge
    I love the 335, but after I learned how much transmission work costs, I kinda kicked myself for trading in my 02 330i that had no issues.
    Once the transmission is fixed and you start playing around with the 335 you will never think of the 330 ever again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

so there is no way to check the fluid electronically , via Inpa through obd port for example?
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The only sensor inside the transmission for the fluid is a temperature sensor.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Once the transmission is fixed and you start playing around with the 335 you will never think of the 330 ever again.
    Oh, before this thing took the ultimate poop, I was loving it. WAY faster than the 330 and WAY more fun to drive (this is without any flashes or anything, which I really want to do once I get it back). The only thing I miss about the 330 was the lack of $#@! breaking. Transmissions are expensive...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forgot to update, but the transmission I bought with 38k miles on it was put in and worked just fine... I'm driving again!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Forgot to update, but the transmission I bought with 38k miles on it was put in and worked just fine... I'm driving again!
    Excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Oh, before this thing took the ultimate poop, I was loving it. WAY faster than the 330 and WAY more fun to drive (this is without any flashes or anything, which I really want to do once I get it back). The only thing I miss about the 330 was the lack of $#@! breaking. Transmissions are expensive...
    given that your car is getting up there in miles as it stands, you may want to go over everything with a fine toothed comb. much cheaper to be proactive than reactive.