+1, no enthusiast with a m3 keeps the stock exhaust
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, this thread really went to $#@!. Stickys blind love of the S65 strikes again...
    What blind love is there? Yeah it's blind for me to say the S65 sounds better than this motor but someone saying a Maserati sounds better because it's a "Ferrari" motor and not even getting it right is not blind. Good point dude.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
    Maserati purchases the engines from Ferrari, who manufactures them as you point out. Nothing else comes from Ferrari. Most of the new cars put out by both companies are still designed by Pininfarina, an independent design company- and I think that confuses people as to the independent nature of the 2 companies.

As has been mentioned in this thread, there is soo much more to the sound than just the engine. I have both a QP and a Ferrari. Both V8 engines, obviously, are made by Ferrari. Trust me, they sound incredibly different.

Once there are a few aftermarket options available for these new models, you can usually make simple changes with profound effects on the exhaust note... so it's not the end of the world. What is preferred IS subjective... and I say that objectively Click here to enlarge
    Agree.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    There are VERY few turbo motors that sound "good" -- The Pagani Huayra, TT-Gallardos & the 2JZ (which I don't even think sounds that great, but it's certainly an iconic noise). BUT at the same, I don't think your M3 sounds good either, it's just a TON of noise (a lot like the GTRs). Honestly, a simple Eisenmann or Evolve sounds better IMO

Honestly this was kind of a dumb article, what sounds "good" is very subjective to each person. Some people love the droney hum of turbo motors while other people love to hear an N/A motor sing. BUT performance is an indisputable, an the F8x M3/M4 is going to be faster
    Sound quality of new M cars is a major point and not dumb at all. If they sounded 'good' BMW would not be revising the exhaust system and they would never have bothered with synthetic engine sounds.

There are turbo motors that sound good. The M838T sounds amazing, wonder if anyone can guess why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    The 911 turbo doesn't sound as good as a gt3rs 4.0. Should we complain about it? Everyday I see more information about the upcoming M3/4 and everyday sticky has to degrade it someway somehow. Everyday you comment how BMW sucks and every article you write states the same. Now you're entitled to your own opinion, but even Jeremy clarkson could say something nice about a 911 once in a while and his hate for them is twice as deep as yours for BMW.
    You don't need to complain with Porsche. They give you the choice between the two.

I say nice things about BMW when they are warranted. Sorry the M3 doesn't sound great, what do you want me to do? Lie? Pretend BMW is the best in the world still like other sites? Tote the company line and praise the i3? Pat them on the back for cheating in ALMS? Sorry, not happening.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
    As has been mentioned in this thread, there is soo much more to the sound than just the engine. I have both a QP and a Ferrari. Both V8 engines, obviously, are made by Ferrari. Trust me, they sound incredibly different.
    And there's a major reason why they sound incredibly different but let's not let facts muddy things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Where did I mention the N54?? So if the STOCK S65 exhaust is SO great, then show me just ONE enthusiast who didn't put an aftermarket exhaust on his M3. Just ONE.
    You can't think of a possible reason why even, um, let's say guys with Gallardos, F430's, Carrera GT's, etc., get aftermarket systems? This boggles your mind? Really?

And if you put an aftermarket system on a crap it's still crap. Once again, no exhaust is going to turn a four cylinder into a V8 and vice versa.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Yes it can sound great with an Akrapovic or other exhaust, but what's the point of comparing that to a stock/development stage F82 exhaust?
    It sounds great with an exhaust available from the factory. The point is showing how the new engine design simply won't hold a candle in a certain aspect to the past engine designs. There are pluses and negative. You can blindly praise M if you want.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    +1, no enthusiast with a m3 keeps the stock exhaust
    Because BMW isn't going to remove cats in an X-pipe or give you a muffler that sets off car alarms. This is your point? Really?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Because BMW isn't going to remove cats in an X-pipe or give you a muffler that sets off car alarms. This is your point? Really?
    Not my point but your the one that posted a car with a aftermarket exhaust so ....really, it's your point
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not my point but your the one that posted a car with a aftermarket exhaust so ....really, it's your point
    Um no I posted a compilation video and it isn't my fault one doesn't exist for the upcoming M3 since it isn't on the market. Go ahead, post one and balance it out.

Secondly, another video is posted of the M3 with the optional factory exhaust system. Let me guess, you're going to reach now and say the F80 would sound just as good if it got an optional system? How far you going to reach before it clicks nothing can be done, nothing, to change the design of the motor and the associated sound quality and potential due to the design?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just going to wait for a finished product before I start throwing stones....that's my point
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm just going to wait for a finished product before I start throwing stones....that's my point
    So you see it testing, you hear it testing, you heard a comparison video between the F10 M5 and the E60 M5 both with aftermarket exhausts, and you're sitting there essentially hoping for a miracle?

You really believe it will be anywhere near as good despite all evidence right in front of you pointing to the opposite?

Look, the car will be faster blah blah blah but there are some things it won't be better at. There will be pluses and minuses. What is so hard to accept?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the sound doesn't really matter all that much to me so I don't really care, if it sounds decent and is a lot faster than the e9x, I'm happy. Right now, without a supercharger, the m isn't fast enough for me, this new car will take care of that problem. If it sounds worse, so be it, that's a trade off of a tt 6 cylinder I'm willing to accept.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the sound doesn't really matter all that much to me so I don't really care, if it sounds decent and is a lot faster than the e9x, I'm happy. Right now, without a supercharger, the m isn't fast enough for me, this new car will take care of that problem. If it sounds worse, so be it, that's a trade off of a tt 6 cylinder I'm willing to accept.
    So what's the struggle in admitting it won't sound as good? Not even nearly as good?

How fast do you expect the new M to be exactly? The F10 M5 isn't fast enough for me and it will be faster than the new M3. So I mean, what is fast enough for you? And the M3 with bolt ons is plenty fast. Is your current car 'fast' enough?

Yes, there are tradeoffs. Sound, heat, weight distribution, weight of the motor itself, reliability, there's all kinds of things. It goes both ways. I don't understand the resistance to accepting that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sound quality of new M cars is a major point and not dumb at all.
    Sound Quality < Performance

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    If they sounded 'good' BMW would not be revising the exhaust system and they would never have bothered with synthetic engine sounds.
    The "synthetic engine sounds" you're talking about are authentic S63 Tu engine tones/sounds, but because it's so quiet the pump the engine noise back into the cabin. If you got an aftermarket exhaust, it'd be much more louder, noticeable & acoustically pleasing..... Just like an E9x m3

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    There are turbo motors that sound good. The M838T sounds amazing, wonder if anyone can guess why?
    It's a flat-plane, race inspired V8.... That probably cost as much as an M3. And just like the V12-TT in the Huayra, McLaren probably spent a TON of time and money on finding out how they could keep road legal emissions & offer an acoustically pleasing exhaust note because their customers are paying somewhere between $225k (McLaren) and $1.3 Million (Pagani)
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Go to 7:20 -- That's just how much work went into the exhaust; BMW will NEVER go to these lengths because they're not selling $1 million+ cars. The Koenigsegg Agera is another turbo'd car I'd say has a good sound exhaust note, but once again that's a $1 million+ car that's had some incredible, non-conventional technology being implemented in it.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is really the argument.. how much faster will it be, how much more backing will it have now from aftermarket. I still dont like any non V8+ bmw exhaust, or motor for that matter, but will the power achieved in 2014-2016 on the new M4 outweight what i have now.. I seriously doubt it as i dont even like the look of it yet. for me, it needs an easily achievable and reliable 600+ for me to swap at this point, there is nothing I dont love about my car as it sits now.. besides a few minor appearance personalizations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You enjoy your slow heavy car. If you wanted a faster and lighter plus higher revving car and enjoyed driving you would get the M3. Take a look at my sig. You were saying something about being slow? That would be what you currently drive. Which will never get close. Neither will a Maserati.
    Obviously I wasn't talking about an M3 with a blower on it like you have. I was talking about a stock M3 and they are slow. Just like the Maser, but the Maser sounds way better.

Point is I wouldn't want a slow V8 car without torque like the M3. Nor a slow V8 car where someone slammed on a blower to make it faster and which will disintegrate once I drive it for 15 minutes on the Autobahn.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what's the struggle in admitting it won't sound as good? Not even nearly as good?

How fast do you expect the new M to be exactly? The F10 M5 isn't fast enough for me and it will be faster than the new M3. So I mean, what is fast enough for you? And the M3 with bolt ons is plenty fast. Is your current car 'fast' enough?

Yes, there are tradeoffs. Sound, heat, weight distribution, weight of the motor itself, reliability, there's all kinds of things. It goes both ways. I don't understand the resistance to accepting that.
    It won't sound the same and maybe not as good, but I don't care.

My car isn't fast enough for me ATM, it was but I grew bored so I ordered vtt's.

I'm thinking the new m should be 3.9-4.0 0-60 and 11.9-12.2 1/4....stock, which IMO will be fast enough for BMW to compete.

You mentioned a FBO m3, I'm talking stock. Throw a tune on the new m and watch out.

I read a recent article where BMW said the new m2 will definitely be faster than the 1m, so naturally the new m3/m4 will be even quicker.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    This is really the argument.. how much faster will it be, how much more backing will it have now from aftermarket. I still dont like any non V8+ bmw exhaust, or motor for that matter, but will the power achieved in 2014-2016 on the new M4 outweight what i have now.. I seriously doubt it as i dont even like the look of it yet. for me, it needs an easily achievable and reliable 600+ for me to swap at this point, there is nothing I dont love about my car as it sits now.. besides a few minor appearance personalizations
    LM, I love your car,ill buy it from you when you move onto this Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Boy this is getting FUGLY!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It won't sound the same and maybe not as good, but I don't care.

My car isn't fast enough for me ATM, it was but I grew bored so I ordered vtt's.

I'm thinking the new m should be 3.9-4.0 0-60 and 11.9-12.2 1/4....stock, which IMO will be fast enough for BMW to compete.

You mentioned a FBO m3, I'm talking stock. Throw a tune on the new m and watch out.

I read a recent article where BMW said the new m2 will definitely be faster than the 1m, so naturally the new m3/m4 will be even quicker.
    That article said the M235 is going to be faster. The M2 (if made) is going to be badass and is going to be for BMW what the M3 used to be.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And my next car if true^
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK girls.

(all stock comparisons)

A V12 will sound better then a V10, a V10 will sound better than a V8 and a V8 will sound better than a I6. Its life.

The N54 / N55 sound is average. Nothing great, nothing bad

The E9x M3's have a great sound, but they're slow as dogs unless you dump crazy money into them.

E46 M3 sounded like a bunch of metal hitting each other, its awful. Only people that own them, or really try to push the BMW brand like it.

Stop bickering about your opinions. If you don't like the sound, don't buy the car.

Also @Sticky

This was a awful comparison. Wait until there is a proper sound capture and compare it stock for stock. If we want to use modded exhaust, a N54 with the HPF system sounds like a $#@!ing race car. But thats not stock

(personally) I don't give a $#@! what the car sounds like, as long as it is a great car, drives well, has good power, I can change the sound later with other exhaust if i want.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast