Close

Thread: VTT S2B2 Clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

VTT S2B2 Clutch

Since I decided we need another VTT B2S2 thread, I thought I'd pose this question to the community

Mods:

JB4 G5, BMS Backend, Meth, Catless DP, HPF FMIC, DCI

I doubt the stock clutch will last on the upgraded turbos (GTX Wheels, upgraded thrust as well)

Plus I like my ankles so the factory DMFW will be going as well.

I will not buy anything from ACT. I also do not want a lightened flywheel.

So, Spec Stage 2+ for clutch disc? Does Spec also have a regular flywheel?

Fuel is 94 PON. no E85. Ever.

Spanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I run the spec stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW with my VTT stage 2s and it holds the power without any complaints whatsoever. However, chatter is a lot louder and clutch engagement is choppier than stock but that's just how it goes...
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I had a spec stg 2+ that was designed to be used with the oem flywheel but I just returned it. I'm afraid of high rpm misfires and after talking to rader1 and defactom6 I decided to order the spec stg3+ and steel single mass flywheel. PTF has a sale on them right now.

It will have some chatter but there will also be tradeoffs when you double a cars hp/tq
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I run the spec stage 3 with the aluminum flywheel, i've had it for about 55k miles now with no issues at all. Like the others, chatter is annoying but i'm hoping it will soon be reduced a tad by raising idle RPM.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I loved my Spec Stage 3+. I had the aluminum flywheel though and the chatter was unbearable. i'd def try the steel flywheel.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

someone really needs to come out with a good twin disk clutch for this car. by far the best clutch i've ever driven on was an exedy twin disk.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

i'm waiting to hear back from Exedy now to see if they're going to offer multi disk clutches for the platform. MTF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    i'm waiting to hear back from Exedy now to see if they're going to offer multi disk clutches for the platform. MTF
    Yes please!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Sorry guys. Exedy said as of right now they have no plans to build clutches for this platform. They said they'd look into it though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Ive got a Spec S2+ with steel flywheel. It acts much like stock and is smooth. Pedal pressure is more than stock but still comfortable. There is flywheel chatter at idle but only with the A/C running. Overall this is a great clutch and has held all the power i can throw at it. Im sure it would be plenty for your application. Shiv has been running it on his 700+whp single turbo car.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    I run the spec stage 3 with the aluminum flywheel, i've had it for about 55k miles now with no issues at all. Like the others, chatter is annoying but i'm hoping it will soon be reduced a tad by raising idle RPM.
    How are you going to raise the idle,? INPA?
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2+ and 3+ are both great clutches for the N54 especially when mated to the steel flywheel. Both Jake's and my car run it and many many other N54s have gone the spec route with great success in the past few months. I can't speak for other stages so I can't recommend them. I'm going simply off of what's been put to the test quite a bit on all the cars I'm personally involved with. We do have them on sale as well as the steel and aluminum flywheels. There's definitely added chatter from the gear box, less so with the steel version of the single mass flywheel. Steel is perfectly drivable and dare I say almost as drivable as with the stock DMF due to the added weight as I don't need to rev the car to get going without stalling. With the aluminum single mass, as its significantly lighter at only 14lbs, some revving on take off helps get some energy in the rotating mass to get things moving. Here's a link for anyone interested:

Clutches and Flywheels we carry:
    http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...flywheels.html

SPEC 2+
    http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...535xi-n54.html

SPEC 3+
    http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...535xi-n54.html

One really nice thing about the SPEC kits is that they come with absolutely everything needed for the install as part of the price unlike most if not all other N54 clutch kits on the market that I know of.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

@dzenno@PTF I just ordered a spec stg 3+ and single mass steel flywheel from PTF! Good pricing, i'm getting ready for the VTT's!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    @dzenno@PTF I just ordered a spec stg 3+ and single mass steel flywheel from PTF! Good pricing, i'm getting ready for the VTT's!
    That should be a solid setup. Looking forward to your numbers/impressions. Going just pump gas? I don't recall you having meth?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    That should be a solid setup. Looking forward to your numbers/impressions. Going just pump gas? I don't recall you having meth?
    I'm debating but pretty sure i'm going with meth.... I have some time to research it and decide, the car won't have the turbo's till September or later...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Can't go wrong with it, really allows the twins to shine too .

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Got it, thank youClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

someone really needs to come out with a good twin disk clutch for this car. by far the best clutch i've ever driven on was an exedy twin disk.
    clutchmasters?

Sorry guys. Exedy said as of right now they have no plans to build clutches for this platform. They said they'd look into it though.
    i have no idea why, there's huge profits.. i'd buy an exedy over other brands in a heartbeat..
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

CM has a twin disk FX-850 for the N54. I drove it on a customer car and didn't like it. It grabbed way at the top and the aluminum flywheel made it feel too race clutchy to drive on the street and DD. At Bimmerfest East I spoke to the SPEC guys and they seem to be working on it as well. Paired with a steel flywheel it may be a good option for those pushing ridiculous power down the road.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    clutchmasters?

i have no idea why, there's huge profits.. i'd buy an exedy over other brands in a heartbeat..
    Being that you're in Australia, hit up Justin at Advan for their custom osgiken twin disc. Should be cheaper for locals Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Being that you're in Australia, hit up Justin at Advan for their custom osgiken twin disc. Should be cheaper for locals Click here to enlarge
    already asked, they have never even test fitted it, not for sale

also rated for torque figures that are less than what i'd like (though i'd assume you'd be able to ask for tougher materials)

also... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4... should be cheaper?... yeah, keyword, should!

a spec twin disc should be pretty awesome though? i don't want to have to go a $#@!ty grabby single Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

@dzenno@PTF

Couple questions
    1) How do I determine the build month of my BMW, I think I need that to know if it's 5 or 6 bolt. I bought mine used so I don't have the original build sheet.
    2) Are the bolts that connect the tranny to the bell housing single use aluminum ones? When you say the Spec clutch comes with everything, I assume you mean everything except these bolts?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    @dzenno@PTF

Couple questions
    1) How do I determine the build month of my BMW, I think I need that to know if it's 5 or 6 bolt. I bought mine used so I don't have the original build sheet.
    2) Are the bolts that connect the tranny to the bell housing single use aluminum ones? When you say the Spec clutch comes with everything, I assume you mean everything except these bolts?
    Basically anything before January 2009 is 8 bolt, after that they're 6 bolt. There's a funny transition period from Jan-Feb 2009 where there was seemingly a case of an 8 bolt but i think it may have been due to an engine swap in that car that the customer didn't know about as they bought the car used...lots of funny stuff out there..

The tranny housing bolts are one time, yes. The spec kit comes with everything required for the install. If in doubt at any time and you're ordering from us, just to make sure they haven't changed anything, shoot me a quick email over and I can get in touch with them to confirm.
    Click here to enlarge