Thread: Tial Spring Help

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tial Spring Help

I have a tial q with a cpe charge pipe. I purchased it used it came with a hot pink spring (supercharger)Click here to enlarge. I measured the vac on my car at idle and it is around 18-20 with the a/c off around 15 with it on if I recall correctly. After doing research I purchased the yellow 11psi spring. It stays completely shut at idle unlike the stock diverters or my hyperboost diverters. Also there is a delay before it releases (almost a second) which is my main concern. Tial recommends 1/4" line but the nipple on the intake manifold is much smaller than. Not sure if I just need a softer spring or try to figure out a better vac source. Any input would be appreciated

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)

I have no idea on this but let's get you some help, bump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Have you called Cpe? I have the same charge pipe/ bov as you and have no problems at all. It's a expensive/high quality piece. Did you install it?
    Click here to enlarge
    Evolve Supercharged ///M3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I will give them a call tomorrow. Yeah I installed it first with the pink spring and it was wide open at idle and has such a large opening it really does not push air out like open diverters. It lagged with the soft spring. The 11psi spring is very slow to blow off so I removed it. I wish tial had a phone number but I will start with cpe. Thanks guys!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Is the blow off consistently slow, or sometimes fast sometimes slow? N54 is not exactly stellar at closing the throttle body immediately after letting off the gas...
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Make sure you have the shortest line possible to your vaccum source. My line was too long and cause a lot of delay in the letting off and sometimes it wouldn't even do it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It is constantly slow I did not ever go full throttle due to the delay. I'll try the shorter line when I get a chance to put it back on. I may also pick up some silicon hose I am using reg vac hose from the parts store.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is constantly slow I did not ever go full throttle due to the delay. I'll try the shorter line when I get a chance to put it back on. I may also pick up some silicon hose I am using reg vac hose from the parts store.
    Do it, get a better line. Maybe even a 6mm one make sure it's not kinked and has some room to flow. Mine is a 6mm from vaccuum then a filter then 4mm to the BOV. This is the inner diameter of the hose. 6 to 4 mm.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Is the blow off consistently slow, or sometimes fast sometimes slow? N54 is not exactly stellar at closing the throttle body immediately after letting off the gas...
    ^This.

I had the same concerns when I got my TiAL Q.... Put in a stiffer spring (pink) to see if that helped but went back to the one it shipped with (white I think?). Typically the blowoff is instant but when in the high RPMs close to redline, there will be a delay or no blow off at all between shifts. From my past research and experience, there is nothing to be concerned about.

I would double check the banjo bolt if I were you and make sure the holes line up. The design of the bolt allows for misalignment, but the clearest path of least resistance is always better Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I will have to check the banjo bolt. I know the delay at high revs. It is not that it is at lower rpms. I am waiting to here back from cpe. You can hear the revs fall some then it releases.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

A plain coloured spring might be worth trying. The one you have sounds like it might be just a hair too stiff.

Try a new vacuum source first, that's the easiest/cheapest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

CPE replied they said they use the 10psi spring. Tial allows you to change springs so I am going to send the in my hot pink spring for a 10psi unpainted spring. They also use 4mm hose so I am going to order some good silicon hose. Thanks guys I will update it when I get it put back on with the new spring

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

My 2c, I swapped out the unmarked spring I got with my Tial to a pink (11psi) spring. My vacuum at idle always hovers around 20-21 inches. I like my BOV closed at idle and cruise. If you look at the body of the engine bay on that side it has an opening/vent in the side. Having the BOV sit there and be open for any dirt to come in to me seemed bad. I may even go back to diverters. Cleaner...
    PTF TWIN DISK CLUTCH - GROUP BUY

Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah I may stick with my hyperboost diverters. The other issue with the tial open at idle is the opening is so large it really does no push much air out. With diverters you can feel them pushing out a lot of air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    My 2c, I swapped out the unmarked spring I got with my Tial to a pink (11psi) spring. My vacuum at idle always hovers around 20-21 inches. I like my BOV closed at idle and cruise. If you look at the body of the engine bay on that side it has an opening/vent in the side. Having the BOV sit there and be open for any dirt to come in to me seemed bad. I may even go back to diverters. Cleaner...
    I have the TIAL Q with clear stainless spring that came with it & can see at idle the Bov is open slightly.so going to next up stronger spring would keep closed at idle rite?but would take more psi now to open which is that bad?I'm running stock turbos fbo/meth.thx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by N54 TURBO Click here to enlarge
    I have the TIAL Q with clear stainless spring that came with it & can see at idle the Bov is open slightly.so going to next up stronger spring would keep closed at idle rite?but would take more psi now to open which is that bad?I'm running stock turbos fbo/meth.thx
    Vacuum from the intake manifold which is induced due to throttle closing is what opens the BOV and vents the charge out. On my car on throttle lift I get vacuum readings higher than 20" and the 11psi spring works fine in my case.
    PTF TWIN DISK CLUTCH - GROUP BUY

Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuninggroup.com
    www.protuningfreaks.com