Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need Help with Oil Specs/brands

Recently traded a Corvette for an 08 135i. It is my first ever experience with a BMW and Was the best trade I ever made. I never thought that a car can be that much fun to drive and perform that well. I want to change the oil even though the Volkswagon dealer said it was done a few weeks ago. Not sure what he put in. Some tell me to buy oil from BMW and that any other brand could be harmful. I always used Mobile1 in the Corvettes and thought of using it in the Bimmer. Please give me your opinions based on your experiences. Thanks in advance.

ncChris

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Use any LL-01 oil if you want to stick with what BMW recommends, but a lot have used other oils such as Rotella T-6 or Motul 300V or 8100 Xcess.

I spoke to some experienced guys at bimmerfest this past weekend, and they swear by Motul, 300V for the track and Xcess 8100 for the street. Use 5w-40 viscosity.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. Pretty good answers in the thread, you might want to take a look:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-0w40-Thoughts

I'm going to continue using OEM oil, Castrol 5w-30.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I ran Mobil 1 0w-40 exclusively for about 30k miles. I changed my oil at 7500 miles, even though I still had 9000 miles left on the oil life monitor. Right around 6500 miles, The car would say I was a quart low, so I would add one. the last time I changed the oil I went with Castrol /sytec/edge/whatever 5w-40, and I never had the issue with being a quart low between changes. I guess the thicker castrol does a better job at staying behind the turbos seals and valve guides and stuff. Inside of the engine looked great with both oils, no varnishing or anything like that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Use any LL-01 oil if you want to stick with what BMW recommends, but a lot have used other oils such as Rotella T-6 or Motul 300V or 8100 Xcess.

I spoke to some experienced guys at bimmerfest this past weekend, and they swear by Motul, 300V for the track and Xcess 8100 for the street. Use 5w-40 viscosity.

/thread

Spot on advice. Switched from OEM to 300v, and noticed a huge difference. Tried Rotella, but idle is much rougher and temp control isn't nearly as good. 8100 after that, and it is a good bridge between the 2.

Also, don't buy into the 3-5k interval for 300v is bunk. Changed it after 2 HPDE's and/or 7500 miles per RRT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for you inputs. I did phone Castrol and asked the rep there the same question. He told me that Castrol formulate san oil specifically for BMW and that I would have to go to BMW for it.. I then called the Mobil people and they said the Mobil! was excellent for my N54.

Chris