Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    Cobb is obligated to provide support for their customers, Shiv isn't. His product is marketed as "open" and "community driven". Once the boat sails, I have a feeling his customers won't hear much from him anymore. Of course he is playing nice guy for now to get sales.

At face value, yes, it's a cheaper cobb (assuming they make good on their promise for data logging). But you have to be a real schmuck to buy into the $#@! Shiv is shoveling. You can have your own reasons for buying it, but it is quite clear that he is marketing this toward fools, not tuners.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying here, and if I paid $300ish more for a competing product, I sure hope there would be some differentiator, and in this case it would be support, but I for one never really needed support when I owned my COBB, as it was pretty easy to use. When I see a lot of questions around support directly @COBB it's generally more related to car issues versus actual product issues.

Admittedly I am happy with my OpenFlash product and I am neither a tuner nor a fool. I am just a guy that installs a tune and enjoys the new found power and improved driveabilitly of my 335i.

I can't speak of Shiv "playing nice guy". He's generally responsive when I had questions, but there have been times when I needed to bug him a couple of times to get an answer, so he probably has some work to do in that department when compared to other tuners.

Also, my theory on why he doesn't respond into threads like this are because he probably knows it will become very unproductive quickly. You know how these Internet Forums can get with this type of stuff. just my .02.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by joec500 Click here to enlarge
    Also, my theory on why he doesn't respond into threads like this are because he probably knows it will become very unproductive quickly. You know how these Internet Forums can get with this type of stuff. just my .02.
    It has nothing to do with productive or unproductive as we have all seen him derail and ruin his fair share of threads. It has everything to do with the rules in place preventing it.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks like another rushed product to me Click here to enlarge from the other forum...i bet support for this will be stellar at this time

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F-16 CHIEF Click here to enlarge
    Extremely frustrated. Just spent 2 hours trying to get it to read my DME. Each time it completes and is sitting at the main menu. Then I go to upload it to openflash manager and it says nothing on it, plug it in to the car.

According to the directions there should be instructions after it reads. I'm getting nothing. Just back to the main menu. Any ideas?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He doesn't respond cause he only has 1 post per 24hr... which is understandable not being a paid vendor, but sure would be entertaining if he could.

Anyway the OpenFlash OTS mapping seems to be pretty good, cause Shiv's a better tuner than Cobb... guys at Cobb are more software engineers. Bashing him for tuning 18psi down low doesn't make much sense... you can't really do that with a piggy alone, but the agg maps come close and thus all the fuel issues. Now no worries.

There are some differences between the products:
    -OF takes the ROM, changes certain defined tables and reinstalls this ROM
    -Cobb takes the ROM, stores it somewhere safe and installs a new base ROM with similarly altered tables.

Everyone running a Cobb OTS is running the same mapping. OF on the other hand you are running your ROM with altered tables. There's no telling what could be different in the background. All ROMs with the same 5 character designation are NOT the same. There is some strange behavior with Cobb... maybe OF will do the same or not, I'm curious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, just read one of the threads on E90... Did Shiv really just say this?! "The difference between the OpenFlash tune and the other flash device tune isnt what you see (values in the tables) but rather in what you don't see. You'd have to map a DME with both devies (mapped identically), read them both out and do a hex comparisons to see for yourself." How the hell do people actually believe this $#@!?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, just read one of the threads on E90... Did Shiv really just say this?! "The difference between the OpenFlash tune and the other flash device tune isnt what you see (values in the tables) but rather in what you don't see. You'd have to map a DME with both devies (mapped identically), read them both out and do a hex comparisons to see for yourself." How the hell do people actually believe this $#@!?
    I replied but it got deleted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    I replied but it got deleted.
    LOL theres no point. Shiv is basically peddling a Cobb OTS map with his own version of throttle mapping and a few changes to the WGDC base, P,I & D tables. Not exactly ground breaking like everyone is making out to be, boils down to what others are saying - Cobb OTS maps are not as refined as they could be. Not sure if that was intentional to help leave market share for protuners, but it leaves some stuff to be desired. If anyone wants Shivs "OTS" flash in a Cobb file for I8AOS, let me know and i will port it over.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Anyway the OpenFlash OTS mapping seems to be pretty good, cause Shiv's a better tuner than Cobb...
    Costco sized Kool-aid box or what? Cobb has how many employees?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Right now, all the XDFs will be available on our website. Maybe we can get a forum on this sit specifically for OpenFlash/open source tuning?

Shiv
    Now he is calling it open source again?

I think shiv is getting nervous about the open source project going on here.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i mainly get a kick out of all the "ZOMG IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN COBB" reviews without a single data log or ounce of empirical data (and no, using a different dyno on a different car on a different day does not count...)
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Now he is calling it open source again?

he wants his own subsection on e90 so he can get ready to censor any talk about the real open source project once it is officially announced
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i mainly get a kick out of all the "ZOMG IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN COBB" reviews without a single data log or ounce of empirical data (and no, using a different dyno on a different car on a different day does not count...)
    I just saw a couple posts about how much better the boost control is... not sure how you can determine that without seeing actual vs requested boost.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep that's always fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    He should be. This may be over before it began as stated...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Took a look at some of the posts. Funny stuff. I saw one post where Shiv scolds Cobb for running too much boost down low. So I opened his map to compare and the load values were basically identical. But they are eating it up on e90post. Like most things Shiv gets involved with he generally over promises, under delivers, and then they eventually fade away in to obscurity. I hope all those people who have invested in this new tuning platform don't have the same experience as his previous tuning platforms. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is some dbag that started a thread reviewing the open flash. At some point he states how much better open flash is compared to cobb for the community. I wanted to reply so bad this....".if you think this is great and cheap...wait until you see the new open source tuning that only cost as much as the cable you buy" but I didn't....not my place to announce it.

On a side note....im pretty sure this dude is flirting with Shiv....its hillarious!
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    There is some dbag that started a thread reviewing the open flash. At some point he states how much better open flash is compared to cobb for the community. I wanted to reply so bad this....".if you think this is great and cheap...wait until you see the new open source tuning that only cost as much as the cable you buy" but I didn't....not my place to announce it.

On a side note....im pretty sure this dude is flirting with Shiv....its hillarious!
    Asswind will be jealous....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Took a look at some of the posts. Funny stuff. I saw one post where Shiv scolds Cobb for running too much boost down low. So I opened his map to compare and the load values were basically identical. But they are eating it up on e90post. Like most things Shiv gets involved with he generally over promises, under delivers, and then they eventually fade away in to obscurity. I hope all those people who have invested in this new tuning platform don't have the same experience as his previous tuning platforms. Click here to enlarge
    that may be true, but even you can't help but take pages from his book in regards to product development. Lets see:

-canbus integration
    -on the fly map switching
    -in dash boost gauges
    -code reading/cleclearing

these are all things the procede had back when the jb3 required you to use a BT cable to read codes, pull over, stop the engine, stomp on the gas pedal to change maps, restart the car, etc. I think the jb4 is an excellent example of IP from another vendor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bryce Click here to enlarge
    that may be true, but even you can't help but take pages from his book in regards to product development. Lets see:

-canbus integration
    -on the fly map switching
    -in dash boost gauges
    -code reading/cleclearing

these are all things the procede had back when the jb3 required you to use a BT cable to read codes, pull over, stop the engine, stomp on the gas pedal to change maps, restart the car, etc. I think the jb4 is an excellent example of IP from another vendor.
    CANbus on a piggyback device was a real innovation but it was not Shiv's innovation. It was Haltech's. Adrian under contact by Haltech had the foresight to include that on the Interceptor board before the procede existed and kudos to him for doing it. That $0.70 MCP2551 can transceiver has allowed in dash controls, gauges, code deleting, etc. Prior to that chip both systems used various hardwired options for map switching. The JB3 had a toggle switch for "on the fly". The gas pedal thing was just something we worked up back then to save the cost of the switch and allow it behind the wheel. And the procede had a garage door opener for its map switch.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

0 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    CANbus on a piggyback device was a real innovation but it was not Shiv's innovation. It was Haltech's. Adrian under contact by Haltech had the foresight to include that on the Interceptor board before the procede existed and kudos to him for doing it. That $0.70 MCP2551 can transceiver has allowed in dash controls, gauges, code deleting, etc. Prior to that chip both systems used various hardwired options for map switching. The JB3 had a toggle switch for "on the fly". The gas pedal thing was just something we worked up back then to save the cost of the switch and allow it behind the wheel. And the procede had a garage door opener for its map switch.
    So it's ok to copy the ideas, and product development, given all the facts you listed?

how about code reading/ clearing? How many BT cables did you sell when the jb3 probably should have done that by itself? Nvm though, not relevant to the openflash tablet discussion

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

0 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by adrian@vishnu is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    I have not posted here in a while. Last time I did, my posts were deleted.
    BULL $#@!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Am I the only one that just saw Vishnu admit to bad mouthing something then turn around and doing the same thing then justifying it because they said Terry did it first? That's what the last sentences look like to me.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have not posted here in a while. Last time I did, my posts were deleted. I wonder if this will be also?

Just so you know Terry, you have no idea of the relationship between Haltech, Shiv and I. It is nothing like what you claim. It is nobody's business what it is, and I won't be stating what it is. You would be closer if you swapped the roles played by Haltech and Shiv.

So your argument is that it is fine to plagiarise ideas from Vishnu because you assume (incorrectly) that their product is not theirs but is someone else's that they are using. But it is not OK for some company to use mapping designed by suppliers to BMW and reverse engineered by another company first because that company (who designed nothing to do with the mapping) happened to work it out first?

Everything the JB did for years was developing/improving on what the Procede was trying to do. Some of it had been done before in non-BMW markets, and some not, but you copied it into JB because Procede had it. Often you claimed how bad it was first before adding it later. Do you really feel justified to take the moral high ground and have a go at Vishnu here?
    FIXED Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have not posted here in a while. Last time I did, my posts were deleted. I wonder if this will be also?

Just so you know Terry, you have no idea of the relationship between Haltech, Shiv and I. It is nothing like what you claim. It is nobody's business what it is, and I won't be stating what it is. You would be closer if you swapped the roles played by Haltech and Shiv.

So your argument is that it is fine to plagiarise ideas from Vishnu because you assume (incorrectly) that their product is not theirs but is someone else's that they are using. But it is not OK for some company to use mapping designed by suppliers to BMW and reverse engineered by another company first because that company (who designed nothing to do with the mapping) happened to work it out first?

Everything the JB did for years was just copied from the Procede. Some of it had been done before in non-BMW markets, and some not, but you copied it into JB because Procede had it. Often you claimed how bad it was first before adding it later. Do you really feel justified to take the moral high ground and have a go at Vishnu here?

since you're here, can you please tell us where this VIN unlocking firmware is for all these Procede users that shiv has promised for months? Did shiv not pay you for that firmware release or something?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast