Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Arrow Considering this 2008 E92 (carfax within)

New guy here.

I have been looking at getting into a 135i for quite some time now and with the prices hovering at about $25,000 & availability in my area at almost zero, I have found myself looking into the 3 series.

The sedan has always looked a bit better to me, but the want for a 2 door has struck. I have my eye on a couple in the area, but with 1 in particular.

It seems to be very reasonably priced and would like to know what you guys think about the carfax. (Click on things to get more details)

CARFAX REPORT

As expected, the first 40k miles have been well documented.
    What scares me a bit is the constant transfer of ownership later in it's life.

It shows that it has had 4 owners. To me that seems like alot.

Although I have yet to see it in person, from the pictures, the interior and exterior look clean with no highway rock chips on the bumper.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

What are your thoughts and suggestions?
    Would you recommend having it inspected at a BMW dealership or an independent garage that specializes in German vehicles?

Does anyone know of a decent German garage to get it inspected in Atlanta GA?

As for the vin, can someone point me to a working VIN decoder to see what this vehicle has for options?

I know it has leatherette which I truly would rather have on a vehicle of this age. I have read that it wears a bit better than the leather.

The brakes appear to be painted red. I am not sure if they are that way from the factory (BMW Performance) or if someone sprayed them quickly -_-

Click here to enlarge

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I personally don't see any red flags in the report. I did see the DME was reprogrammed...the dealership should be able to give you a report from BMW on everything in detail that any BMW dealership has done to it. You didn't really list any info on it. 66k miles? according to carfax? what options does it have? pictures of interior? AT or MT? Price? Location? ATL? That can factor in price quite a bit.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got the following info from e90:

"Hmm definitely has aftermarket brakes, which worries me a bit, I would expect it has been driven harder than normal. I ran the vin on the Russian vin decoder and it has the sport package, m sport suspension, walnut trim, alarm, satellite radio and that's about it. Looks like a barebones 335i with m sport... But it doesn't look like it to me, I'd have to see the rear.

I would be worried about it having aftermarket brakes, usually means driven hard or maybe tracked."

It has just shy of 67k, it is a manual, interior has the walnut trim which is hideous and will be wrapped anyway along with steering wheel and door pulls. They are asking $21,500 and the dealer is in the Atlanta GA area.

I am hoping to get all of the service records from BMW sometime this week after speaking more with the salespeople at the dealership (non BMW btw)

Would you @mjmarovi recommend a BMW dealership inspection?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's worth it I suppose, to what extent are the brakes "aftermarket" whole system? Just rotors? I mean, brakes don't last that long on performance cars (for good reason), so at 67k, that may not be a bad thing. What do you plan on doing to the car once you buy it? My personal concern at 67k miles would be the condition of the turbos, and especially tuned, probably won't last much longer. Exterior looks good, hard to say though if not seen in person. You need to go drive it and inspect it yourself. Pay attention to alignment, listen for rattles, etc. If it already has waste gate rattle then plan on replacing turbos. I think it's a great price though.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I did see the DME was reprogrammed...
    Sign car was tuned?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Sign car was tuned?
    That was my thought. Or maybe just updated? Would be nice to get a full report from BMW detailing work, assuming all work was done by BMW as listed in report.

It also failed emissions a couple times, cat less downpipes maybe? I would just assume that someone had at least some performance mods done. As long as car checks out and drives as it should....nearly perfect without rattles, no slip in tranny, etc. Expect maybe new turbos in future?
    Last edited by mjmarovi; 07-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It also failed emissions a couple times, cat less downpipes maybe?
    That would be my conclusion.

I would just assume that someone had at least some performance mods done.
    Evidence sure points to it.

Expect maybe new turbos in future?
    This.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just get it inspected privately by a reputable BMW Indy shop. Aftermarket brakes could also mean a enthusiast took special care of the car, not everyone beats the $#@! out of their cars, I sure dont
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm 90% sure those are stock slide pin calipers that have been painted red. Not aftermarket brakes.

Turbos would also be my primary concern. Look for oil consumption, or exhaust that smells like burning oil after a hard drive. You can also inspect the outside of the turbos. Turbos that leak oil into the exhaust will end up oily on the outside, between the CHRA and the turbine housing. You may want to drive it a little hard before inspecting the turbos.

I bought my car and it consumed a quart in 1500-1800 miles. Was told this was "normal". I buy a Cobb and catalyst free downpipes, and the thing smokes immediately. I have confirmed that the turbos leak oil into the exhaust, and I have replacements ready to put in.

However, even with a stock tune, if I don't drive it hard, it really doesn't consume much oil. So it really depends on what you want to do with the car. If I didn't want to tune mine, I would just stick with the stock turbos, even though they leak oil under certain conditions.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My plans are to do FBO and in the near future RB turbos.
    I can always use the "old turbos" to my advantage while negotiating a better price.

As for not passing emissions, it looked a little funky because it went through emissions on such close dates.

Hopefully I will be able to get full reports from the BMW dealers and they will contain more info.

As for the brakes, they do look stock + paint. I think the poster on the e90 forum that I quoted was speaking about the slotted and drilled rotors being non OEM.

I went ahead and ordered DBA's for my Subaru when it came time to replace them. I don't drive it any harder than I did before. I simply wanted better brakes, and I don't track it.

Would viewing the records from BMW indicate a tune by looking at the reason for a DME reflash? Or do they not put those types of notes in? How big of a deal is it to need a DME reprogram?

I am most likely headed out to look at it this weekend and will surely drive it hard and keep an eye on the turbos for oil.

IF the turbos indicate any faults wether it's waste gate rattle or otherwise, would you recommend walking away? I am unsure how much an RB kit would be installed but if I had a $ amount, I could take half that amount or so off their asking price....

Anyone care to PM me the price of 2 RB turbos with all new oil lines & fittings & also a ballpark labor charge from an independent shop?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Count on around $5000-$5500 installed. I would walk away if you feel tranny slip, if you hear waste gate rattle just get it cheaper, not a big deal if you're replacing

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by .blackgt. Click here to enlarge
    I can always use the "old turbos" to my advantage while negotiating a better price.
    Not a bad idea. I would.

Anyone care to PM me the price of 2 RB turbos with all new oil lines & fittings & also a ballpark labor charge from an independent shop?
    Might want to talk to @VargasTurboTech and go with his turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I spoke with yet another salesman at the dealership and requested they contact the two previous BMW dealerships and somehow come up with the detailed service records. I was and still am curious as to the DME reprogram.

The salesman said he couldn't do that....

I inquired about the turbos & inspecting them. If they were deemed to be faulty whether through consumption or wastegate rattle, what were my options. He stated they would replace them if needed and wouldn't lower the price of the car.

This brings me to the warranty extension on the wastegate rattle issues. If they do rattle, I guess I can have the dealership get them properly replaced at the local BMW dealer...

I know I have many questions and possible answers, but it comes down to me going there and checking the car out.

The only thing that I would like is for the BMW records to be released to me. Isn't that standard practice? Would I be able to call the dealerships and get the records?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the waste gate warranty is good for another 16k miles on that car, so if you do get it, you could drive it for a while un-modded to make sure nothing is wrong before you modify it, have problems, then have to take everything back off. Some say you can take a modded car to the dealer but I wouldn't.

A DME reprogram doesn't necessarily mean the car was tuned. It just means it went to a BMW dealership, and they noticed the DME software was old and upgraded it to the newest version. This is standard I'm pretty sure. It could also have to do with the HPFP problem. There was a software update that primed the high pressure pump with the low pressure pump before the car was started.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wouldn't buy a used car that was modded before and put back to stock but that is me. You will probably be fine but it is more risky vs. a never modded car. For instance there is a good chance he removed some of the life from the turbos.

You can find one for the same features and for the same price and you will know it has not been beaten on or abused.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I said, I would be most concerned with tranny slipping during test drive, and just cosmetics overall. I think it's a good price, crazy cheap compared to Florida prices lol. Oh, and just call your local BMW and give them the Vin, unless against rules for some reason, can't imagine why, they should send you the report. If you really need to PM me, a friend is a BMW service advisor, and I can ask a favor.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I said, I would be most concerned with tranny slipping during test drive, and just cosmetics overall. I think it's a good price, crazy cheap compared to Florida prices lol. Oh, and just call your local BMW and give them the Vin, unless against rules for some reason, can't imagine why, they should send you the report. If you really need to PM me, a friend is a BMW service advisor, and I can ask a favor.
    This is a 6MT, so I would assume no driveline issues other than maybe clutch?

I did not realize I was able to contact any dealership. If that is the case, I have gone in to Tom Bush BMW in Jacksonville and have a decent relationship with one of the salesman there. If it's as easy as calling him with the VIN, I should be okay. If not, I will send you a PM.

@Torgus Feel free to find me one with the same features at the same pricepoint, and I will shake your hand and buy you at least a 6-pack.
    West coast cars don't count unless you want to factor in shipping it over to the east.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    6MT? All the more reason to pay attention to the trans and clutch, honestly though, pics look good, and it's a nice car, chances are it was taken care of. 4 owners? Maybe couldn't afford it, decided they didn't want a stick, who knows. Just drive it. I mean, I did fly to Charlotte from Tampa to buy mine. Only had 37k though, so a bit less worried, but still, it's a leap of faith to travel. In my case it worked out, hope it does for you too.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If your going with rb's who cares what the condition of the stock turbos are....I agree, use it to negotiate lower. He won't replace them, if he does, sell those and buy rb's.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Torgus Feel free to find me one with the same features at the same pricepoint, and I will shake your hand and buy you at least a 6-pack.
    West coast cars don't count unless you want to factor in shipping it over to the east.

3 months ago I bought my 07 335xi with nav 6mt 75k miles for 17k. I could have gotten it for 16k but the dealership decided to put $$$ into it(new brakes, two new tires, oil change, etc.).

They go for 15-22k around here in the northeast often. They do get snatched up quickly when below 20k.

If you want the car buy it. Just understand it likely has more wear and tear on it than an unmodded one would have given the miles. It is very likely it was tuned and the turbos were pushed for X number of miles.

edit: I wouldn't travel for a car unless it was 100% perfect. Once you show up if there are issues you just lost out on time and money getting there. Those factors will probably push you to buy the car even if you found a small issue because you have 'already come so far'. That has always been my fear at buying something far away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    3 months ago I bought my 07 335xi with nav 6mt 75k miles for 17k. I could have gotten it for 16k but the dealership decided to put $$$ into it(new brakes, two new tires, oil change, etc.).
    Was it an e90 or e92? That plays a large part in prices. I have seen quite a few e90's in the 15-20k range and yes I have been tempted to settle for a 4 door. There was a 2007 e92 335i with 55k miles and they were asking $17500. It was being offered by offleaseonly.com and has since been sold, so I do know they are out there.

I totally agree with traveling for a car. I had done that with my current car and yes, it was a shady car dealership, the salesman did lie, but I purchased the car anyway. It turned out to be just fine, but I did learn a lesson and I will surely have no problem walking away on this deal if a few things aren't up to my standards.

I live in southwest GA and will be traveling to ATL, so it doesn't seem too far, but its actually about the same distance to West Palm Beach FL.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    edit: I wouldn't travel for a car unless it was 100% perfect. Once you show up if there are issues you just lost out on time and money getting there. Those factors will probably push you to buy the car even if you found a small issue because you have 'already come so far'. That has always been my fear at buying something far away.
    I completely value my time as well as gas money getting where I need to go, but from past experiences, I have come to realize that if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. Some people may feel the same about a couple hundred dollars for a PPI.

There is no way for me to verify if this car is 100% perfect without actually inspecting it myself & having a proper inspection done, so with that in mind, i'm keeping my options open and definitely not making a rush to sign papers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I say buy it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    A DME reprogram doesn't necessarily mean the car was tuned. It just means it went to a BMW dealership, and they noticed the DME software was old and upgraded it to the newest version. This is standard I'm pretty sure. It could also have to do with the HPFP problem. There was a software update that primed the high pressure pump with the low pressure pump before the car was started.
    ^^^ This. DME reprogramming is standard procedure.

I think this is a good deal for a car. So long as you state your specific concerns in the wastegates, the turbos, the HPFP, and the waterpump and they either come off the price or guarentee working order with a small warranty, I see no reason not to bite.

I bought my 07 E92 two years ago with 40k miles for $23.5k after taxes and felt I got a good deal considering the condition of the car (mint). My car had the same options as this one except no M-sport obviously.