Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Lets talk about METH

Started a similar thread on Terry's forum but because bimmerboost has one of the biggest and probably best communities I want to get as much ammunition as I can.

I want to get some more info on running Meth, primarily from a safety, reliability, functionality on a DD car.

I am not looking to get into a what kit is best thread, frankly I will go that route later down the line. I can say without a doubt I will keep my JB4 G5 iso so any kit that integrates with that will apply here. Also definitely will be going with a trunk mounted kit no doubt. Here are the issues and my situation. I have a wife who thinks that a meth setup is dangerous. From potential engine grenading to the possibility of a fire from meth, to lastly the idea that being rear-ended with a trunk setup and the potential for yet another explosion. Needless to say she is the highly paranoid type.

So lets start with this.

1. Obviously Meth setups are not legal for street use. Can't seem to find any information to the contrary. Any smart guys out there have a good sales pitch to circumvent this argument. Also does anyone know if there is anything that can happen if you get pulled over with a meth setup?

2. California specific question here for the other meth setup guys here, maybe skysurfer and socal535mang can help me out with this one. Where are you guys buying your meth at and what mixture are you both running. Seeing anyone who lives in Cali gets completely F'd by CARB I wondered about that.

3. What would be a good mixture ratio, my goal here is to get the most power possible but I do not want a liquid grenade in my trunk so if anyone has a good mixture rate that is not that flammable please share.

4. Has anyone with a trunk mounted kit ever been in an accident and did you have any issues? Anyone with a WW meth kit ever rear end somebody else and have any issues? I want to kind of have any idea or experience from somebody else that can help my paranoid wife not be such a pain.

I appreciate any time anyone spends responding to this post. I have a smarter then most when it comes to cars wife who makes buying upgrades like this extremely difficult because she will nitpick all angles. If I can have a sound argument then Click here to enlarge METH HERE I COME

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty sure water injection is legal... So I'm not sure why anyone would have any problems.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Water injection is legal, but I am asking more about a water/meth system with a ratio of 51/49 as the highest possible concentration level or something with more water for safety.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure on the legality of it -- but gotta stick to "if you don't get caught no one can say it's illegal"

maybe it's because I'm white, but I've never had a cop ask me to pop my hood or hatch (I'm engine bay mounted). Even still meth is clear. If a cop by chance starts to bust your balls -- just say it's water injection. I doubt they'll do a taste test.

As for accidents -- I highly doubt it'll "explode" I mean it is flammable and if it spills and ignites (more chance of this happening in engine as turbos are hot) you could have a fire on your hands. Best bet would be to carry an appropriate fire extinguisher.

As for purchasing, you can probably find a speed shop that sells vp fuels m1 methanol somewhere near you.

As for mixtures, I run a different car so I can't speak on it, but if I recall correctly I believe 40% and up meth mixture is flammable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Suii Click here to enlarge
    Started a similar thread on Terry's forum but because bimmerboost has one of the biggest and probably best communities I want to get as much ammunition as I can.
    Tears of joy.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    1:Is kind of a grey area. It is not taxed as a fuel so that automatically makes it illegal to run on the road... however most cops probably have no idea what the hell it is so just BS if the need ever arises.

2: M1 is sold at most speed shops and motorcycle shops. It's actually becoming more and more common because it is now very popular to use in the production of Biodiesel. However, I've been experimenting with denatured alcohol as an alternative and i'm VERY happy with the results I've gotten. It's cheaper and they sell it at all hardware stores so availability isn't an issue.

3: Methanol/Ethanol is flammable. Regardless of the mix. Running a weaker mixture makes it less likely to ignite but it will still ignite in the right circumstance. Most guys run 50/50 but I've been running 100% for a long time and no issues at all.

4: Never been in an accident. However, my recommendation is to use a fuel cell instead of just a plastic tank because they're much stronger and resist cracking/leaking much better.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    your gas tank is in the rear of the car, closer than your meth tank could be depending on location...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ill chime in.

Methanol injection is legal (from my knowledge in all states)
    Any hotrod/performance shop should be able to get you M1 (VP fuels)
    ( M1 60/40 Water ) is what most recommend.
    I have been in a accident with a meth system and the car did not blow up lol. Run your lines with the fuel line and you will have no issues.

WW setups will catch your car on fire.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Tears of joy.
    Celebration Click here to enlarge