Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Cobb Pro-tune help

Hey guys, I posted this on the other forum too. I dropped my car off at Cobb Plano last week to have my RBs installed and get a Pro Tune, and picked it up on Saturday. I didn't get to drive it much on Saturday, and it's been raining since then, so I still haven't driven it hard or done any logging of my own.

I was looking at the logs they provided though, and the timing and boost (in the logs) look a bit odd to me, can you guys take a look and let me know your thoughts? The car feels fine in daily driver mode, and felt great the few times I got on it a little on the way home.

Aside from the new RBs, N20 MAP Sensor, and CPE catted DPs, everything else remains as it was: Helix FMIC, Stett CP with Forge DVs, DCI, and stock Catback. I'm at 100k miles, so I swapped out the Coilpacks and VANOS solenoids, and threw in some NGKs gapped to .022 before taking it in to them.

The tune is 93 octane, no meth, and it was probably mid to high 90's out when they tuned it. I'm going back Thursday for the race map, but want to understand this log before I go back. They completely failed to do a map 0 run before removing my stock turbos, but I'm getting a map 0 run with the RBs when I go back.

The only other thing I'm a bit uneasy about is that I do have a siren noise (whoooOOOOOoooooo type deal) during low rpm, low load, operation. After reading on that for a few hours last night, I'm completely unsure as to whether it's an issue or not...seems to be plenty of dissenting opinions on the matter.

Stage_3_19psi 93_3.5bar_map_v7_130713114358.csv.txt

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see anything odd really. If you're looking at Timing Cyl 1 and thinking final timing looks odd, that's because you had some corrections in Cylinder 1. If you were logging a cylinder with no corrections (ie. Cyl 3-6), then the final timing would look more appropriate to the requests. That's why we like to give the option of individual cylinder timing and corrections.

As for the siren noise.... it could be lots of things.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i had the same noise. turned out the bank 2 turbo compressor inlet pipe was not installed correctly and was sucking in air.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    I don't see anything odd really. If you're looking at Timing Cyl 1 and thinking final timing looks odd, that's because you had some corrections in Cylinder 1. If you were logging a cylinder with no corrections (ie. Cyl 3-6), then the final timing would look more appropriate to the requests. That's why we like to give the option of individual cylinder timing and corrections.

As for the siren noise.... it could be lots of things.
    Got it; thanks, Josh. The final timing is what I was looking at, and the boost looked choppy to me too, but it didn't feel that way in the driving I've been able to do so far, so I was a bit confused.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    i had the same noise. turned out the bank 2 turbo compressor inlet pipe was not installed correctly and was sucking in air.
    Thanks, enrita; I'll check that tonight. I did take them one of the Vargas inlet brackets for the rear inlet though. My girl likes it, like the car's haunted by friendly ghosts or something...I'm just happy to be rid of the horrific wastegate rattle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks, enrita; I'll check that tonight. I did take them one of the Vargas inlet brackets for the rear inlet though. My girl likes it, like the car's haunted by friendly ghosts or something...I'm just happy to be rid of the horrific wastegate rattle.[/QUOTE]

I have the same "whoooo whoooo" siren sound at low rpm, low load and operation regardless of whether or not the car is warmed up. Please let me know if it indeed is the bank 2 turbo compressor inlet pipe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Siren isn't a cause for concern. I've beaten the topic to death, and replaced a turbo set because of it. Don't worry about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Siren isn't a cause for concern. I've beaten the topic to death, and replaced a turbo set because of it. Don't worry about it.
    But if it's a fixable issue, why not eliminate the noise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyeah Click here to enlarge
    But if it's a fixable issue, why not eliminate the noise.
    My old turbo set made an extremely loud siren. When the turbos were pulled, absolutely nothing was wrong with them. No oil loss, smoke, play, scoring on the bearings, etc. Intake tubes were solid tight. I, nor does anyone, know for sure where it's coming from. It's not an issue at all though because their are no side effects. I made a poll on the other forum, where more than half 75%+ had a siren noise of some sort. Even RB's I have heard have done it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    My old turbo set made an extremely loud siren. When the turbos were pulled, absolutely nothing was wrong with them. No oil loss, smoke, play, scoring on the bearings, etc. Intake tubes were solid tight. I, nor does anyone, know for sure where it's coming from. It's not an issue at all though because their are no side effects. I made a poll on the other forum, where more than half 75%+ had a siren noise of some sort. Even RB's I have heard have done it.
    My car with RB's are currently making that sound. I don't believe it did when I first had it installed. Obviously, turbos spooling generates noise. However, I'm interested in what may be the actual cause of the siren sound developing over time (something must have changed). It might not even be the turbo's are bad, but a bad/faulty/intermittent connection somewhere a long the path in which the air travels, since it occurs noticeably at low RPM and low loads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My car with RB's are currently making that sound. I don't believe it did when I first had it installed. Obviously, turbos spooling generates noise. However, I'm interested in what may be the actual cause of the siren sound developing over time (something must have changed). It might not even be the turbo's are bad, but a bad/faulty/intermittent connection somewhere a long the path in which the air travels, since it occurs noticeably at low RPM and low loads.
    Seems to be a pretty common noise.

My original stockers had it shortly after tuning and were replaced under warranty.....but nothing was wrong with them.

My replacement set developed the very same noise within weeks and I have been running them for 3 years now.

The meet and hold boost targets very precisely.

In the last year I have had more issues with the wastegates rattling and becoming worn than anything else.

If you keep worrying about this issue you will need to go on medication.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty normal and happens on everyones car. Trust me, @E90Company has spent a ton of time and effort into figuring out why it happens and hasn't been able to come up with anything. Nobody really has any idea on the cause, or how to fix it but it's not an issue. If the turbos still boost fine, no smoke, no oil loss, etc I would just forget about the noise.
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come