Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Tuning timing for cold motor and light throttle

All,

I know this might seem trivial compared to WOT tuning, but I've been trying to tune for no unexpected timing behavior at all, which is difficult because the ECU starts messing with timing anytime it wants to adjust anything it seems like.

One problem area using Cobb ATR seems to be that particularly when cold it's easy to get more boost/load than is being requested and timing starts getting pulled and usually not in a very smooth way. And even when that is pretty much gone there are still times when you go from the reduced timing that comes with having recently started a cold motor and sudden jumps up to full timing which also isn't smooth.

I've got an example of that here and wondered if anybody from Cobb or PTF or anywhere else would like to chime in on why we have a couple of samples of full timing mixed with the reduced timing. The motor has probably been running for less than a minute at this point and I'm just lightly heading down my street. I've heard rumors that there may be additional cold motor timing maps that aren't available in ATR that might explain this, but I have no idea if that's true.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you'll notice, the load requested jumps a bit at the same time even though the throttle is being smoothly applied...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nobody helping him? What's up?

@Jason@Cobb
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's super part throttle at baro... mostly I've only looked at lowish boost. If you are doing a lot of testing, I haves couple suggestions to try. I've been a little detached from flash tuning for awhile except in stack config... so little experience.
    1. Try "reducing" the torque/load map either globally slightly or in specific areas... 10 to 15%
    2. If its cold weather/engine over boost you can adjust some portion (maybe WG temp) of the WGDC through the boost factor tables (4 tables for ect and cat). I never did play with it though.

I am running a stacked map with slightly lower torque/load limit and haven't noticed any neg, but also the few intervention that I do get seems to still be there... mostly low boost onset, but I think this is more a manifold MAP and TMAP not meshing at very low boost (stacking thing). Haven't been logging much though... enjoying my car. Part throttle is one of my reasons to stack.

Always curious what you are up to in testing Carl... good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do mess with the things you are talking about quite a bit, and it has helped significantly once the motor is warm. But for the first minute or two it seems to be impossible to get the requested load and WGDC low enough to avoid this. I suspect there is some table that tries to control load using timing when the motor is cold that we don't have control over. This example was a small piece but I notice when you first start the car cold the timing is in the -20 to -30 range and over a couple of minutes slowly rises to the "normal" values in the timing map. This condition seems to occur during that transition as you're above 0 but still not all the way up to the normal map.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldn't the engine be in an open loop when cold? I am guessing that's what is happening, but am not a tuner - so this is just an educated guess.