Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Please help me out! Looking at METH systems

Alright guys,

I have completed FBO on my e92 335i and have placed my deposit on the Vargas Stage 2 batch 2's turbos. I am currently running the Cobb AP. I plan on doing my homework and most likely receiving some help from PTF for the tuning, but want to take things a step further. There are two METH setups I am contemplating as follows...

I have meth systems narrowed down to either the Aquamist HFS-4 system, or the BMS 2.2g trunk kit and have it work along with the JB4. I have done some research, but some of it doesn't make sense to me since I'm not an expert, and would like to see some pros and cons from any of you experts out there.

What does the Aquamist system have the BMS doesn't? It seems it uses 3 nozzles, is that a big advantage?

Would I see any advanatages with the meth control of the JB4 over that of the aquamist?

And finally, is there anything to gain as far as datalogging on the JB4 or more tuning flexibility by adding it along with the Cobb? ( I don't want this to turn into a Cobb v JB4 thread as I already know many of the major differences, just really want to know what there would be to gain as far as meth is concerned, I know I would gain on the fly mapping, but I don't really care about that as this is only a weekend car and never sees the drive or eco tune/map anyway.

Thanks!
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Both kits are fine. They do basically the same thing.

The Aquamist is a universal kit with a special controller you'd wire in to the DME. That controller lets you manually map methanol flow on boost, IPW, etc. So with that setup the JB4 will not be controlling methanol flow. Only reading it. Which does not matter much unless you want to disable it on the fly. For example with the JB4 running methanol flow it can control when it flows and when it doesn't. If you want to disable meth just kick over to a non-meth map like 1, 2, or 5. If DTC kicks in or the throttle closes it can close the solenoid quickly. While the Aquamist is a universal kit our 2.2g kit is designed specifically for the car. It's much faster to install with minimal extra wiring.

On the nozzle front you can run as many as you want with our kit. It includes one. The dual nozzle kit is $25 extra and then nozzles are $35 each. It uses standard 1/8" NPT sizing which is what most charge pipes include for meth bungs.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The question I have is kind of a loaded question. But I would love to hear from anyone who has setup a Meth kit how reliable they are whether it be the BMS kit or the Aquamist kit. I see posts all the time of people talking about fitment issues, leak issues, vaccum sealed fitments, replacement pumps being needed.

I know the only thing stopping me from setting one up is the posts that pop up once every week or two with somebody saying they had to troubleshoot problem X.

Have their been revisions made to either kit or both kits that make this a true plug and play setup now where all we have to do is simply refill the meth and not have to worry about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Suii Click here to enlarge
    The question I have is kind of a loaded question. But I would love to hear from anyone who has setup a Meth kit how reliable they are whether it be the BMS kit or the Aquamist kit. I see posts all the time of people talking about fitment issues, leak issues, vaccum sealed fitments, replacement pumps being needed.

I know the only thing stopping me from setting one up is the posts that pop up once every week or two with somebody saying they had to troubleshoot problem X.

Have their been revisions made to either kit or both kits that make this a true plug and play setup now where all we have to do is simply refill the meth and not have to worry about it.
    My experience is Cobb tune with an Aquamist HFS-4 w/ the howerton Tank. Installed everything in a half day, and i have not had a single leak, hiccup, failure of any kind over the past year. That's the reason i payed $$ for the Aquamist parts - they are top of the line.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    My experience is Cobb tune with an Aquamist HFS-4 w/ the howerton Tank. Installed everything in a half day, and i have not had a single leak, hiccup, failure of any kind over the past year. That's the reason i payed $$ for the Aquamist parts - they are top of the line.
    How hard was it to setup the manual map for aquamist? I have several BMS parts on my car now and everything they make seems to be top notch, not worried about that, my main concern is control over the system and ease of making changes to it when I alter or use different maps or just want to turn it off completely. Other concern is failsafe, I know the Aquamist has a failsafe, but how does it work? If I run out of METH, do I need to pull over and change maps?

@Terry@BMS I did not know that you can run multiple nozzles with your kit, knowing what I'm going with, and keeping in mind that I do not have access to E85 (closest location is 90 miles away) and plan on relying on 93 octane and meth to give me best HP possible, is there much to gain from 3 nozzles? I have an ETS chargepipe (went ETS cause I liked the idea of everything from FMIC inlet to FMIC and chargeline being replaced) but it doesn't have a bung, I'd have to drill, how many nozzles do you recommend and what size and placement do you recommend?

I think I'm leaning leaning toward pulling the trigger on the JB4 and the BMS meth kit. Terry,hope you don't mind, I will need some help on getting everything tuned in and working together properly. I'd like to get a dyno in pre-Vargas turbos and then re-tune and see what kind of results the turbos yield running everything else the same.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have the BMS WW meth kit on a 2011 N55 and it runs fine for over a year.

The BMS kit went on fine and with few issues and I didn't have any leaks or priming problems ever. It really works well for what it's supposed to do.

I installed it myself without much trouble and made some minor customizations to clean up the wiring and cover the white meth tubing with black split loom so you could barely tell it was even installed except for the pump being mounted on the top of the engine bay (default location).

With the WW meth kit I ran 50/50 water/meth, and used about 2+ liters of W/M about every 5 days.

I ran the tank low once or twice and had no flow and didn't realize it and the JB4 handled it just fine. No issues. It's so seamless that unless you have a low-fluid alert or use the gauge hijacks for boost/meth flow you may not even know it's not flowing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    How hard was it to setup the manual map for aquamist? I have several BMS parts on my car now and everything they make seems to be top notch, not worried about that, my main concern is control over the system and ease of making changes to it when I alter or use different maps or just want to turn it off completely. Other concern is failsafe, I know the Aquamist has a failsafe, but how does it work? If I run out of METH, do I need to pull over and change maps?

@Terry@BMS I did not know that you can run multiple nozzles with your kit, knowing what I'm going with, and keeping in mind that I do not have access to E85 (closest location is 90 miles away) and plan on relying on 93 octane and meth to give me best HP possible, is there much to gain from 3 nozzles? I have an ETS chargepipe (went ETS cause I liked the idea of everything from FMIC inlet to FMIC and chargeline being replaced) but it doesn't have a bung, I'd have to drill, how many nozzles do you recommend and what size and placement do you recommend?

I think I'm leaning leaning toward pulling the trigger on the JB4 and the BMS meth kit. Terry,hope you don't mind, I will need some help on getting everything tuned in and working together properly. I'd like to get a dyno in pre-Vargas turbos and then re-tune and see what kind of results the turbos yield running everything else the same.
    Sure just email me for tuning support. For a VT2 setup I'd probably run a CM10 and a CM5 nozzle to start. Later if we decide you need more meth for some reason then that 5 can be swapped over to a 7 or 10 as well.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What type of nozzle and how many would you run for a pump gas setup on Crapifornia 91 octane with stock turbos and FBO for the BMS Meth kit I was looking at going with the 2.2G integrated trunk tank setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Sure just email me for tuning support. For a VT2 setup I'd probably run a CM10 and a CM5 nozzle to start. Later if we decide you need more meth for some reason then that 5 can be swapped over to a 7 or 10 as well.
    Sounds great! Thanks Terry. Click here to enlarge "Now I know I had an extra $1,000 bucks laying around somewhere for this stuff...just need to find it LOL

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Suii Click here to enlarge
    What type of nozzle and how many would you run for a pump gas setup on Crapifornia 91 octane with stock turbos and FBO for the BMS Meth kit I was looking at going with the 2.2G integrated trunk tank setup.
    For stock turbos a single CM10 or CM12 is fine. The 2.2g kit is my personal favorite, but we have the aquamist style 1 gallon container for those that prefer that sort of thing. What I like about the 2.2g is how easy it is to mount the pump in the tank and screw the entire thing down in the trunk. The lines then go right through the interior to the engine bay. The whole process takes maybe 20 min.

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    howerton Tank is still not perfect. I think the fittings should be altered because they are prone to leaking from my personal experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

OP, would not like to influence your decision either way. I can tell you that Aquamist HFS4 is a top shelf kit and the only one at this time capable of standalone operation with a flash tune such as Cobb, with the required failsafeties that we feel comfortable supporting. If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me at dzenno at protuningfreaks dot com any time to discuss. The topic has also been covered many times on this and other forums in case you have time to search. You can also find some additional info and install reviews here and on our blog at http://blog.protuningfreaks.com. Good luck Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hausofboost Click here to enlarge
    howerton Tank is still not perfect. I think the fittings should be altered because they are prone to leaking from my personal experience.
    Which fittings are leaking?
    I've been running the aquamist hsf4 kit with Howerton engineering tank setup for 25k miles now and not one problem..
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    exact same results, as well as knowing 25+ other people that have all felt the same way. I would not buy another meth system on the market today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

+1
    same here its a great kit ! I made the mistake of using my old tank from another kit thought its just a tank and ended up with over a gallon of meth in my trunk. I now have the howerton tank should have done it in the first place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    Which fittings are leaking?
    I've been running the aquamist hsf4 kit with Howerton engineering tank setup for 25k miles now and not one problem..
    directly from the bottom of the tanks. I think they should have used a metal fitting with AN style outlet put in through the tank. I think I am going to modify this kit to make it perfect and I will post pix. I think I drive my car harder then anyone else here though so maybe I have things come up from that abuse alone.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

This would be the first howerton tank ever I've heard of having a leak at the bottom. Nothing is impossible but in your case given it sounds like a very unique case I'd get in touch with Jeff Howerton and discuss with him directly to see what may have happened. I can get you in touch with him if you'd like, just PM me or email me. Those 2.2gal tanks are very sturdy and really solid construction everywhere fittings especially. Its my favourite as well by far.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    This would be the first howerton tank ever I've heard of having a leak at the bottom. Nothing is impossible but in your case given it sounds like a very unique case I'd get in touch with Jeff Howerton and discuss with him directly to see what may have happened. I can get you in touch with him if you'd like, just PM me or email me. Those 2.2gal tanks are very sturdy and really solid construction everywhere fittings especially. Its my favourite as well by far.
    PM sent