Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

x71 n54 into e90

I need a new motor, found a great deal on an x71 motor however my car is not AWD. I was wondering if anyone here can help me figure out if just swapping the oil pans is enough also info on the wiring harness? Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What happened to your motor? You can strip the n54 bare and put all the parts from your old motor on it that's what I did and it worked without much issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    previous owner didn't gut cats and it killed the rings. I think I found a motor hopefully. After I told this place I was going to buy their motor they then decided to tell me the valve cover and intake were cracked. Such a pain this is lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hausofboost Click here to enlarge
    previous owner didn't gut cats and it killed the rings. I think I found a motor hopefully. After I told this place I was going to buy their motor they then decided to tell me the valve cover and intake were cracked. Such a pain this is lol.
    Why would running stock downpipes (with the primary cats) damage the rings?

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ST with 24 psi melted the cats clogging the exhaust significantly and increasing the back pressure spiking EGT's
    Last edited by Hausofboost; 07-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ST with 24 psi melted the cats clogging the exhaust significantly and increasing the back pressure spiking EGT's
    Interesting...do you know if it was a Vishnu ST?
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Not familiar with Vishnu guess ill have to research but I don't believe so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh ok...Thanks for the quick response I was just curious...Not asking with intent to stir anything up

Best of luck on the swap and wish I had more info to help
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    Oh ok...Thanks for the quick response I was just curious...Not asking with intent to stir anything up

Best of luck on the swap and wish I had more info to help
    I think I found a straight swap for a good price hoping it pans out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vishnu is actually the FFTEC kit. I think its the only ST kit out that will do 24 psi.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 2300+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/
    Or the BX8 Enthusiast Group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/353105035077862/
    Cars: 2005 E46 330i - Sold | 2007 E90 335i - Crashed | 2009 E93 335i - Current | 1996 E36 328i Sedan

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sounds like you bought tmo's car. The guy that figured out you needed a single mass flywheel in order to not get high rpm misfires. Hopefully you can get a good deal on a new motor!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here's the post from shiv that led me to believe you may have purchased tmo's ST car:

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Tmo sold his car to his best friend who is turning it into a dedicated race car or sorts. The slow spool issue tmo had at ShiftSector turned out to be clogged stock secondary cats which has been resolved. Tmo decided it was best for him to focus on useless things like getting married and buying a house. Sounds odd if u ask me. Of course I orchestrated this whole thing with my bullying tactics and high level physical intimidation techniques. Now back to your regular programming...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What ST would it be then?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Here's the post from shiv that led me to believe you may have purchased tmo's ST car:

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Tmo sold his car to his best friend who is turning it into a dedicated race car or sorts. The slow spool issue tmo had at ShiftSector turned out to be clogged stock secondary cats which has been resolved. Tmo decided it was best for him to focus on useless things like getting married and buying a house. Sounds odd if u ask me. Of course I orchestrated this whole thing with my bullying tactics and high level physical intimidation techniques. Now back to your regular programming...
    That's some solid detective work right there.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You nerd to swap the oil pan, windage tray and oil pickup tube. They are all different. Get a new gasket as well and an oil pan bolt kit from bmw as they are aluminum and some are different lengths between the two.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    You nerd to swap the oil pan, windage tray and oil pickup tube. They are all different. Get a new gasket as well and an oil pan bolt kit from bmw as they are aluminum and some are different lengths between the two.
    Thanks for the info. I found out after I was going to buy the motor that there was damage to parts of the intake and valve cover with no warranty. I ended up finding a direct swap so I am trying to get it ready to put in now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tell us more about what is wrong with your current engine and how you know something is wrong. Also, how did you know it had a single turbo before?

This could be a good reference in the future.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge

lol @Sticky is right you are a detective, I think we have a match here..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Clogged secondary cats? Even that far downstream? Id say some excessive EGTs would cause them to melt (low timings) or there was leaded racegas put in the tank

Broken intake and valve cover? What did they do? Yank it out with a back hoe? Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whoever told you 24 psi would plug cats sold you a bill of goods. I would have that engine inspected before I bought it. If they melted pistons the block very well may be cracked meaning you just bought an expensive paperweight and its worth more as scrap. Boost has nothing to do with plugging cats, poor tuning and high EGTs on the other hand....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Overfueling is probably a lot more likely to melt a cat. Even if it's not huge amounts more fuel, if it's done long enough, it'll overheat the cat and eventually melt it.

I don't know if you could blade any one tuner if you're ST and running over 550whp and melt a stock cat. The fact that it is claimed a plugged cat destroyed piston rings from the exhaust backpressure seems like it could be a stretch too. Again, at those power levels, at lot of stuff could have caused ring damage.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Whoever told you 24 psi would plug cats sold you a bill of goods. I would have that engine inspected before I bought it. If they melted pistons the block very well may be cracked meaning you just bought an expensive paperweight and its worth more as scrap. Boost has nothing to do with plugging cats, poor tuning and high EGTs on the other hand....
    LOL well this is not my first car and I am a true pioneer in the Turbo bmw market. Anyways I have my own shop and its the cyl 1 rings that took a nose dive. Pistons and rods are fine. Im sure my top speed run didn't help things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so, you wont have that X5 oil pan?

I'm on the hunt for an X5 N54 oil pan, and a 335Xi oil pan, if you guys ever see one floating around Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL well this is not my first car and I am a true pioneer in the Turbo bmw market. Anyways I have my own shop and its the cyl 1 rings that took a nose dive. Pistons and rods are fine. Im sure my top speed run didn't help things.

I have stock pistons and rods/whatnot out of a few engines if you are interested.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    I have stock pistons and rods/whatnot out of a few engines if you are interested.
    Possibly. I won't have any of the AWD stuff since I found a perfect motor besides valves been dirty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast