Close

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CannonFodder Click here to enlarge
    @Terry@BMS do you have a diagram of how the boost solenoid is originally set up from the factory.
    Here is a real oem diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I was thinking about boost control with DZ's thread and the 10psi, which likely has part throttle issues. What if the boost solenoid vent port was routed to the top of the WG diaphragm (helping the spring)? This way you could run a lower spring pressure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I was thinking about boost control with DZ's thread and the 10psi, which likely has part throttle issues. What if the boost solenoid vent port was routed to the top of the WG diaphragm (helping the spring)? This way you could run a lower spring pressure.
    Just curious, what would be the advantage of running a lower spring pressure?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    On partial throttle control it's an unknown at the moment. The plan for the JB4 is simply to have the JB4 report back boost as on target when PSI is below the wasteagate spring rating. So while boost will not be as "consistent" up to say 60% throttle input, at least the car won't get throttle closure, oscillation, or throw codes. If the wasteagate spring is 11psi then there is no practical way I know of to control less than 11psi using the OEM solenoids.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I could imagine seeing funny things at part throttle I guess but realistically speaking I'm not sure they will crop up. John's been driving his car daily, highway/street/part throttle/WOT/stop-go traffic since Saturday and no issues or codes have come up yet. We'll see though if anything comes up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Just curious, what would be the advantage of running a lower spring pressure?
    Many WGs have a top and bottom port i thought. The bottom to open the WG with manifold pressure based on spring pressure. The top can use manifold pressure to "add to" spring pressure thus you can use a lower pressure spring givng you more throttle control. I'm not sure what is being used now, but was commenting on Terry's OP stating to vent to atmosphere. Lower pressure spring gives more control with piggy or flash cause you have a larger range in boost control rather than on/off ish at 10ish psi (plus as mentioned some potential DME issues). I think the general rule is about 3x spring pressure with single port WG, but you can do like 4,5x with dual port.

Actually thinking a little more may have to run manifold pressure directly to WG bottom port and use solenoid inbetween WG top port so you can relieve pressure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Or use both solenoids, either:
    one for bottom and one for top WG ports, or
    One for bottom (as is currently) and other connected in series between vent to WG top port.
    One of these options should be able to use lower pressure spring, and retain high boost.
    Could add a restrictor to reduce pressure if needed for the top port depending on where your DC is.

anyway, not sure if any of these options are very viable, but seem like options to try for increasing usable psi range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Now that summer is pretty much over I found enough free time to put a wastegate on my car and give this a try. Works pretty much perfectly so far, I'm hoping to start doing some real tuning in October. Right now its' hitting about 14psi and holding solid.
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roy Cormier Click here to enlarge
    Now that summer is pretty much over I found enough free time to put a wastegate on my car and give this a try. Works pretty much perfectly so far, I'm hoping to start doing some real tuning in October. Right now its' hitting about 14psi and holding solid.
    how many psi can the stock boost solenoid handle?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say way more than most will ever need. Its' a pretty simple piece of hardware. I've never tried to look up the spec sheet for it, but I hit about 17psi today a few times and it held that steady without much fluctuation.

I really miss the power of the stock turbos down low, but the single turbo whine and wastegate dump sounds amazing, so I guess it kind of makes up for it.
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Glad to hear. I'm always interested in JB4 single turbo logs so be sure to post or email some in. The FFTEC is being installed on our E92 as we speak. I hope to join the 700whp club soon. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Glad to hear. I'm always interested in JB4 single turbo logs so be sure to post or email some in. The FFTEC is being installed on our E92 as we speak. I hope to join the 700whp club soon. Click here to enlarge
    don't forget to post vids and dyno sheet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

FFTEC 6466 kit is installed and tuning has started! So far its a lot of fun at 17psi. I'm going to tune it for ~20psi on a E40 mix just to get it stable for the upcoming NFZ event and then will take power up from there.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

NICE!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    80% dc already? OEM wg solenoid?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

OEM solenoid as shown in photo. I'll have to swap the wastegate spring later as this one cracks at only 9psi off the wastegate.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

look at boost drop out at the shift...easy to tell its a 6MT Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

700whp. beat my auto tranny to it Terry Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    700whp. beat my auto tranny to it Terry Click here to enlarge
    This one is the MT. The AT was dropped off at FFTEC today for top mount treatment. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

This one is the MT. The AT was dropped off at FFTEC today for top mount treatment. Click here to enlarge
    I know lol.. im saying that i challenge you and your MT to beat me and my AT to 700!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Haha well, I think I will, but short term I want to get a nice stable single turbo tune going for our customers. I'll probably dyno this one @ 18psi soon just to see where it stands in street mode.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Haha well, I think I will, but short term I want to get a nice stable single turbo tune going for our customers. I'll probably dyno this one @ 18psi soon just to see where it stands in street mode.
    yeah this is great stuff for sure. should see mid 5xx like that without meth and ur extra rpms... but the fun starts at 22-23psi plus !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I know it's not "apples to apples" since I have a much smaller turbo than you; but I currently have the JB4 running boost at 24 psi (~2 psi higher than my 570 whp dyno). I made a slight change to the way I had the boost solenoid connected and boost sticks to target like white on rice. Currently running 27.5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

so much fun stuff going on in the N54 world!!!!! congrats guys.
    2011 335is DCT, collecting parts....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

auto being built?
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast