Close

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    front mounted oil cooler?

it fits, i can show you a setup that was recently completed in australia with a MASSIVE FMIC as well.

May i ask you to post some pictures or pm to me? Thanks in advance!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    http://www.tidstyling.com/shop/step0...20120410032642

They have paddle shifters for Porsches, Audis, BMWS, Wolksvagen.

An my paddle shifter for my M6 steering wheel (on my F10 M5) is also in development, i attached some pictures regarding Fxx M5/M6 steering wheel paddle shifter.
    Very cool! Thanks.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This build is real serious!!! No cost savings seem to be spared lol. Cannot wait to see the final product! The interior looks terrific btw!!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    interference fit?
    You honestly don't know what inference fit is? To comment on someone's method of block stiffening without the knowledge of basic machining terms seems a little eh. Interference fit means they need to be pressed into place. From what I am seeing, those pressed into the corners as they are, will provide quite a bit of stiffening to the open deck design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    You honestly don't know what inference fit is? To comment on someone's method of block stiffening without the knowledge of basic machining terms seems a little eh. Interference fit means they need to be pressed into place. From what I am seeing, those pressed into the corners as they are, will provide quite a bit of stiffening to the open deck design.
    i didn't comment, i asked how it worked a couple of times, as in i have no idea. :/

it just looked visually that they were little discs sitting on top of the block, not wedged in deeper

just googled it, i know what 'press fit' means. sounds risky to install too?

i can't really learn without asking questions :/

i think i can comment a little on stiffening as i have a decent knowledge of the physics involved...? i come from a more theoretical/mathematical standpoint, and i'm having to learn how it works in practice in reality/real world methods of things...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interference fit basically means you're putting something that's bigger than the hole into the hole. It's not necessarily press fit, but that's probably most common. On submarines, we used to do interference fit dowel (locating) pins all the time, sized about 0.0010" over the hole diameter on say a 5/8" target diameter pin. The pins would be laid on dry ice (shrinks them) then dropped in. They also have interference fit threads, typically class 5, where you are deforming metal when you thread the two pieces together. This was most often used as a way to anchor a stud. If, over time, the stud comes loose, the hole would need to be re-tapped for a class 3 thread and lock-tite used, or you *could* weld buildup the hole and re-tap for a new class 5 stud.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    Interference fit basically means you're putting something that's bigger than the hole into the hole. It's not necessarily press fit, but that's probably most common. On submarines, we used to do interference fit dowel (locating) pins all the time, sized about 0.0010" over the hole diameter on say a 5/8" target diameter pin. The pins would be laid on dry ice (shrinks them) then dropped in. They also have interference fit threads, typically class 5, where you are deforming metal when you thread the two pieces together. This was most often used as a way to anchor a stud. If, over time, the stud comes loose, the hole would need to be re-tapped for a class 3 thread and lock-tite used, or you *could* weld buildup the hole and re-tap for a new class 5 stud.
    yeah makes sense... thanks!

cylinder expands, object 'interferes' with expansion... or object shrunk due to cold, cylinder interferes with expansion when hot/not cold.. good name haha.. how ferrari fits the valve seats from videos i've seen. etc.

working on a sub is a little cooler/more intense though lol.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No problem!

You're almost there. What you are describing is more just the metal reinforcing the cylinder wall (which does heat up, and expand, but that's beside the point for defining interference fit).

Interference fit means that dimensionally 2 pieces are put together that should not fit without metal moving. Like my stud example, no heating is required for it to be an interference fit, in fact, extreme temperature difference between the two pieces is required just to be able to put them together. Once they both are the same temp, the stud is inside a hole that was smaller than the stud. Hence, interference fit.
    Last edited by SCGT; 07-15-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarity

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    No problem!

You're almost there. What you are describing is more just the metal reinforcing the cylinder wall (which does heat up, and expand, but that's beside the point for defining interference fit).

Interference fit means that dimensionally 2 pieces are put together that should not fit without metal moving. Like my stud example, no heating is required for it to be an interference fit, in fact, extreme temperature difference between the two pieces is required just to be able to put them together. Once they both are the same temp, the stud is inside a hole that was smaller than the stud. Hence, interference fit.
    i think that's pretty much what i said (at least half haha)?

>object shrunk due to cold, cylinder interferes with expansion when hot/not cold..

ok i worded poorly.. and got the first half not 100% on the definition. but still.

so with stud at room temp, it wouldn't fit... but shrinks when cold, inserted, expands back to room temp tightly fitting by being 'too big' at that point.

cool cool
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now you got it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i think that's pretty much what i said (at least half haha)?

>object shrunk due to cold, cylinder interferes with expansion when hot/not cold..

ok i worded poorly.. and got the first half not 100% on the definition. but still.

so with stud at room temp, it wouldn't fit... but shrinks when cold, inserted, expands back to room temp tightly fitting by being 'too big' at that point.

cool cool
    I try to describe how we did the cakes:

- 10 pcs of cake were manufactured. The height of the cake is approx 20mm.
    - We CNCd 10 seat on the engine. The shape of the seats are the same as the cakes. Seats are located between the cylinder wall and engine wall, therefore we cut out some materials from the cylinder wall as well as from the engine wall. The seats has some shroud at the bottom.
    - The clearance between the seat and cake is 0.
    - We carefully pat the cakes into the seats, until they seat on the shroud.
    - At the end we have smoothed the top of the cylinders/engine wall/cakes

From the bottom, the cakes are hold by the shroud, fromt the top they are hold by the cylinder head. We consider the heat dilatation as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Fuel System Upgrade - LPFP side

As i mentioned earlier, my HP goal is approx 450 -530HP. I will not use any eXX fuel, nor any fuel mix, just the old-school eur spec 98-100 octane fuel. No meth as well.

At this moment I do not have any experiences regarding fuel system limitation as my car - in his earlier life - never reached that power level.
    I have read Terry's fuel pump related topics and others, but i still have some questions.

I would like to start with the LPFP side only at this moment. I have choosed Terry's "option2", but not with Walbro LPH 255, but with BOSCH 044 connected serial. Today the pump has arrived, location and fittings will be figured out later.

I am open your suggestions and if somebody can tell or PM me, how should i do the electronic cabling to the BOSCH 044 inline pump, i would be more than happy. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

DCT upgrade - stage0

My car has DualClutchTranny and i am hesitating how we should upgrade it (or othewise, do i need to upgrade at all to my HP/NM level).

In the past i have purchased SSP 700HP clutch package and alu oil pan, but none of them were used.

I have read some strange post regarding the clutch pack which resulted not to use them. SSP recently changed the 700HP clutch pack back to the new BMW 16 clutch pack for free. The new clutches seem to have not so agressive design/kevlar components compared to the old ones. I have Viton seals as well.

So the big question: should i use the new clucth packs or not? At this moment i do not have any capabilities to upgrade the TCU with modified software.

I have already purchased the alu oil pan, which is based on bad design concept, therefore we cannot use it. We know the reason, why Sticky's one leaked the oil.

During this week, we decided to design and machine our alu oil pan, so we have started to scan the factory oil pan.

Our alu oil pan will 100% compatible with the factory one and can be useable on e9x M3 platform as well as on Fxx M5/M6 platform.

I will gladly post some pictures, once we are ready with the new alu oil pan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What turbo specs are you running?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So the big question: should i use the new clucth packs or not? At this moment i do not have any capabilities to upgrade the TCU with modified software.
    Good luck with that man. I'm never touching anything made by SSP ever again.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Custom made differential cover

During this weekend we already started the draw our custom made differential cover to my 335i differential. Meanwhile i purchased an insideperformance display, which will have two sensors: one is for engine oil pressure and one is for differential oil temperature sensor. This means, we still have to draw a proper inlet for the differential oil temperature sensor.

I really hope we can put this into machining next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As i mentioned earlier, my HP goal is approx 450 -530HP. I will not use any eXX fuel, nor any fuel mix, just the old-school eur spec 98-100 octane fuel. No meth as well.

At this moment I do not have any experiences regarding fuel system limitation as my car - in his earlier life - never reached that power level.
    I have read Terry's fuel pump related topics and others, but i still have some questions.

I would like to start with the LPFP side only at this moment. I have choosed Terry's "option2", but not with Walbro LPH 255, but with BOSCH 044 connected serial. Today the pump has arrived, location and fittings will be figured out later.

I am open your suggestions and if somebody can tell or PM me, how should i do the electronic cabling to the BOSCH 044 inline pump, i would be more than happy. Thanks in advance.
    FWIW, I'm running the RBs with about 20psi on 98 octane fuel and havenot had any fuel related problems so far. Others who have used E85 did run into problems, though, but if you won't use it, I'm not sure you'll even need to upgrade at all.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux Click here to enlarge
    FWIW, I'm running the RBs with about 20psi on 98 octane fuel and havenot had any fuel related problems so far. Others who have used E85 did run into problems, though, but if you won't use it, I'm not sure you'll even need to upgrade at all.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Indeed, with all respect for your WHP target, no LPFP upgrade is required, neither an upgraded clutchpack. I would invest in trans cooling, biggest problem is your ATF might become overheated, useless and from there on harm your clutches.
    Yes your clutches will wear faster then untuned but I would calculate that as maintenance costs. LPFP and HPFP are just as they are... you might need to replace them now and then. Only high Exx fuels or ST/Stage 3 turbo upgrades might require LPFP upgraded as far as I can oversee the presented logs on the boards.

Till the TCU has been hacked with it's crazy encryption, upgraded clutches are a dangerous excercition on a 15k DCT trans. I have checked recently with ESS, but besides the M3 DCT they seem not have spend time on the N54 DCT TCU.

Maybe a good thing to know is that, based on my experiments on my former AT, we determined that the ATF is about 10-15 degrees celcius below the engine oil temps. So as soon as your engine reaches 90 degrees celcius your ATF is still below optimum operational temps! Take some time when warming up the car to extend the lifetime of your clutches! Both for DCT as AT...

Great projects guys!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward about your findings on differential temps. Will give us a hint if a cover which provides more cooling and more oil capacity is worth the investment.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Looking forward about your findings on differential temps. Will give us a hint if a cover which provides more cooling and more oil capacity is worth the investment.
    The differential cover's design based on an e9x m3 diff cover, so basically we intended no to overcool the differential oil. More oil capacity can be good.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The differential cover's design based on an e9x m3 diff cover, so basically we intended no to overcool the differential oil. More oil capacity can be good.
    would it not have been cheaper just to get an M3 diff?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you check out just buying the VAC differential cover?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Did you check out just buying the VAC differential cover?

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...e93-p2493.aspx
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    would it not have been cheaper just to get an M3 diff?
    If i go with m3 differential house - which is a good option - i have to change and modify the drive shaft.
    It seemed to be easier to put the e34 m5 diff internal into 335i diff house and machine a cover.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am overseas, so alltogether with shipping cost and high taxes, it's cheaper to develope a custom made diff cover. And we can produce and sell to other members this diff cover as well, if there is interest.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast