Close

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    Oil pressure is built between the oil pump and oil inlet of the turbo. As oil feedback/return line: there is gravity, which should transit the oil to the oil sump, but we think that this gravity is not enough (even on harder corners) and some oil still stays in the turbo and will be smoked easily. And one additional and potential reason: the consistence of the oil before the turbo and after the turbo is not the same. After the turbo, the oil is a little bit spumy, and this kind of consistence is against optimized flow.
    exactly... if there's pressure pushing INTO the inlet.. it's also pushing it THROUGH the turbo, and out the outlet...? With gravity ON TOP of that? how could it possibly drop to zero pressure at the outlet?

by spumey you mean frothed up a bit? That would be because it's lubricating a bearing spinning at ridiculous speeds and incredible temperatures, more than any kind of sitting in the turbo? :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i think people should step back and let him do his thing.. he knows what he is doing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Honestly please please do not take my questions as total knocks, I am just from the school of, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Your build is beyond impressive. I'm truly curious to see it running. Keep up the the good work!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Electric oil pump between turbo feedback outlet and oil sump

Decided to go with TurboWerx Exa-pump.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

I'm running a RBturbo's gear driven pump.... Then again, my turbo right at oil line....
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

could you pot some picture or schema of your chambered muffler? curious to see how it is made inside

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I dont have any pictures, but try to take a pic from a similar one..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Water coolant piping

Seems like we have every bits of engine water cooling pipes in place...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Wiring

We have started to wire the engine. We have to wire the 850W BMW Performance radiator, Okada Plasma Ground, Awron display with egnine oil pressure sensor and differential oil temperature sensor, turbo speed sensors, EGT sensors, O2 sensors, JB4, BLUE16 anti theft system, etc. We are also optimizing some wiring due to space restrictions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Diverter valve and charged air recirculating

We will use only 1 Forge Diverter Valve which will be located on the left side (as our K&N Conical filter also located on the left side.) Charged air will be recirculated into the intercooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Additional oil pump for turbo return oil line feed

We have installed the WerxTurbo Exapump electric oil pump to provide optimized oil flow on the turbo return line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

very nice project
    I am very excited about the finished car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sprayed intake manifold

One of my favourate color, light brown (havanna brown) is used when we sprayed the intake manifold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

M3 Front underhood shield mated with 335i shield

:-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hand-brake slave cylinder fitted

still need some refinement and testing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Painted engine cover with painted intake manifold

Today we test fitted the engine cover. Due to extra wiring under the engine cover, we need some refinement as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Electric oil pump fitted

We modified the factory frame and extended it with a frame for the electric oil pump. After modification we have re-sprayed the factory frame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Gauges are installed

We have installed the gauges. 2 x Garrett Turbo RPM sensor (left and right), 1 x EGT sensor (middle).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Additional oil canester/tank to optimize oil flow

We have installed a small oil canester/tank between the turbo oil return line and electric oil pump. This canester is feeded by both of the turbo return line.

Reason for installing this: when you shut down the engine, the electric oil pump also stops working as becaming act as a "stopper/bung" so the oil stays between the turbo and electric oil pump and cannot flow back. Next time you start the engine, during the cold start up session, the oil, which stayed in the turbo (we are talking about 1.5dl between the el. oil pump and turbos return line) will be smoked.

With this canister after the engine shut down, the oil fills this canister and will not stay in the turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

@VargasTurboTech Is he doing this so the oil doesn't sit? Wouldn't a turbo timer or something work better? This is confusing me lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurboTech Is he doing this so the oil doesn't sit? Wouldn't a turbo timer or something work better? This is confusing me lol
    Honestly, you being confused is on par with most of us I think, this is just reinventing the wheel for nothing. I have said in this post over and over again. He is doing all these things just to do them. Adding the electric pump, not needed, now he has to add this tank because his electric pump idea made system overly complicated and now it wont drain after they shut the car off. My gauge is always, are dedicated race cars that people spend millions of dollars on doing things like this because a turbo will not drain. If the answer is no, and you do it anyways. You are doing it just to do it. This is a show car, plain and simple. Its the N54 version of a chromed out low rider you see at a car show. Is it cool, yes, its very cool. But at the end of the day, its a show car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

First drive around the garage

After 1.5 years of starting my rebulting session, we had a small trip around the garage. Not much, but we still have a few small things to do arund the engine, not to mention the bodyshop and painting as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Adding the electric pump, not needed
    In my setup it is needed. Period.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    now he has to add this tank because his electric pump idea made system overly complicated and now it wont drain after they shut the car off.
    It is physics. You shut down the egnine, electric pump stops draing, oil sits and will be smoked by the next engine start. We have learnt this. This is why we use an oil canister. Period.

You are doing it just to do it.
    Yes. As i mentioned in my first post, this rebuilt is not about huge HPs, but about my PATH, which i walk. However the entire design and rebuilting can work easily with higher HPs than we would like to achive. Period.

This is a show car, plain and simple. Its the N54 version of a chromed out low rider you see at a car show. Is it cool, yes, its very cool. But at the end of the day, its a show car.
    It is my hobby and will be my "overbuilt" and "overcomplicated" DD car. Period.

But at the end of the day, I am still happy with this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

LMAO okay good, at least I'm still on the right track. Well he did get the car running so that's a good thing. Can't wait to see how the tuning will turn out.

Honestly, you being confused is on par with most of us I think, this is just reinventing the wheel for nothing. I have said in this post over and over again. He is doing all these things just to do them. Adding the electric pump, not needed, now he has to add this tank because his electric pump idea made system overly complicated and now it wont drain after they shut the car off. My gauge is always, are dedicated race cars that people spend millions of dollars on doing things like this because a turbo will not drain. If the answer is no, and you do it anyways. You are doing it just to do it. This is a show car, plain and simple. Its the N54 version of a chromed out low rider you see at a car show. Is it cool, yes, its very cool. But at the end of the day, its a show car.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

To me, this build defines the word "hobby." It certainly doesn't make sense, but if you're having fun, I am happy for ya! And, it's an interesting read! Thanks for sharing this!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast