Close

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 452
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,540
    Rep Points
    1,746.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    The dent has been a concern for equal meth delivery mainly from my understanding.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-...8bad38&vxp=mtr
    2nd image down in post shows the best image of the dent I could find quickly.



    There have been threads about a custom manifold to get rid of this. However the cost vs. performance benefit is high. If such a manifold also fixed the fueling issues then you would have a product that would sell like hot cakes. Issue is you would want to move the throttlebody if you are going to all the work of a custom IM. Which means a potentially very different charge pipe.

    Click here to enlarge


    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ntake-Manifold


    http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-and-335i-PICS
    Last edited by Torgus; 12-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

    Got Boost?

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,311
    Rep Points
    1,439.5
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    it's not a TERRIBLE mani though? much better than the standard forward facing plenums popular in japanese cars?

    I'd be concerned about flow to cylinder 6 too? Isn't it always the cylinder with the most carboned up valves? which to me isn't much of a good thing

    Flow optimising, etc... would be the last expense you'd need for these cars

    OEM replica maybe minus said indentation, with a port for injectors in each runner = major win. All that's really needed.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 12-10-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    boop

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,311
    Rep Points
    1,439.5
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Wow @ the size of the dent, it's crushed by around 40%, didn't have phone on my and was tired so didn't grab a clear pic.. surely they could have done a better job than that O_O.. even if you could cut it out and epoxy on a LITTLE bit more breathing room, it would be much improved. So much worse than i was expecting!

    i'll put pieces back together to see why what where tonight.. surely something can be done to improve it, that's no bueno at all.
    boop

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    it's not a TERRIBLE mani though? much better than the standard forward facing plenums popular in japanese cars?
    It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd say it's any better than a forward facing plenum. If they are designed right, with the runner lengths tuned, a taper to the plenum, angles optimized at least a little bit... you can actually do a pretty good job with them.

    Somebody should figure out a way to get a S54 intake onto our car with a nice twin inlet plenum over the ITB's. Mmm yeah buddy.

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,311
    Rep Points
    1,439.5
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd say it's any better than a forward facing plenum. If they are designed right, with the runner lengths tuned, a taper to the plenum, angles optimized at least a little bit... you can actually do a pretty good job with them.

    Somebody should figure out a way to get a S54 intake onto our car with a nice twin inlet plenum over the ITB's. Mmm yeah buddy.
    mmm in further reading+checking mine, true, there's a lot of room for improvement... i had no idea one of the runners was crushed, and the distribution was so bad :/.

    going by many of the reviews of RB series plenums, most of them are really poorly designed.. with a select few being worth the swap lol
    boop

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Lol. If you make a big looking aluminum intake manifold with skulls and flames and chrome and post a dyno with some gains RB people will throw money at you. Well they used to it seemed. This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

    I would love to see a set of ITB's on a N54. I don't think I will live to see that day though.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,311
    Rep Points
    1,439.5
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Lol. If you make a big looking aluminum intake manifold with skulls and flames and chrome and post a dyno with some gains RB people will throw money at you. Well they used to it seemed. This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

    I would love to see a set of ITB's on a N54. I don't think I will live to see that day though.
    EXACTLY! hahaha


    as for the ITB's, that'd have to be waaay down the list of bang for buck modifications... it's already a long enough wait for cams, let alone ITB's Click here to enlarge

    this thread's still good, just the other N54 manifold specific one isn't lol
    boop

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

    I would love to see a set of ITB's on a N54. I don't think I will live to see that day though.
    This thread is not about developing an intake manifold. It is about rebuilding my n54 including tons of other developing except intake manifold.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No

    Charge pipe on cold side

    We have charge pipe on the cold side. Still have to assembly our Forge DV on the charge pipe. We decided to use only one Forge DV instead of two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No

    Plates for the vacuum canisters

    This plate has multiply purposes, not just hold vacuum canisters.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    This thread is not about developing an intake manifold. It is about rebuilding my n54 including tons of other developing except intake manifold.
    Whoops sorry, somebody resurrected that intake thread I had just read then saw that image posted here and thought I was still reading that thread. Your build is epic and in no way shape or form dead!

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Okada Plasma Ground and Okada Coils

    We use Okada Coils (cannot seen on the picture) and Okada Plasma Ground, which we put on this plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No

    Additional hand-brake master cylinder with custom-made fitment

    Instead of the traditionaly hand-brake we use an additional master-brake cylinder on rear side ( both on left and on right side) which will be actuated by the hand-brake bowden. This master-brake cylinder will force the rear Brembo brakes.

    Will be anodized as well once we did the tests.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by csl335i; 12-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Piping on hot side and air filters

    Today we have started to develop the piping on the hot side. There are two pipes, which directly connects turbos to the intercooler hot side and there are two suction pipes which connects K&N Conical air filters to the turbos. This is our version nr.1, will see how we can move forward. Air filters are placed behind the front bumber, on turbos side, under the main lamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Points
    1,639.5
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't agree with a hydraulic parking/emergency brake at all. In my opinion, it must be mechanical if you want it to be reliable.
    In personal experience, master cylinders/slave cylinders and even "line-lock" systems that are DESIGNED to lock the brakes leak down.


    IMO, a small caliper like exotics have (Lamborghini/Ferrari/Porsche/etc) is the only way to go, like I had explained and described earlier.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    I don't agree with a hydraulic parking/emergency brake at all. In my opinion, it must be mechanical if you want it to be reliable.
    In personal experience, master cylinders/slave cylinders and even "line-lock" systems that are DESIGNED to lock the brakes leak down.


    IMO, a small caliper like exotics have (Lamborghini/Ferrari/Porsche/etc) is the only way to go, like I had explained and described earlier.
    Will see how it works. I have DCT, so parking with hand-brake in most of the cases
    are unnecessary. This is just a crazy idea, i gave it a shot.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    919
    Rep Points
    780.4
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    To provide more efficency, we put some "wings".
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.

    From Corky Bell's book, chapter 5 "Intercooling":

    Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #243
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,653
    Rep Points
    2,703.4
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Huh, cool post @vasillalov wish I could rep that.

    At first glance it seems counter-intuitive...but when thinking about maximizing flow to the core, it makes more sense. My meager technical knowledge of air flow continues to grow Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    221
    Rep Points
    344.4
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.

    From Corky Bell's book, chapter 5 "Intercooling":

    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...2010253A-1.png
    Thanks Vasillalow, I approciate your opinion. We belive the same as you refering. When we design our wings, we do it injoncution with the M3 front bridge. That is why we used the "Better" position instead of the "Best" position.
    Tuning a car is always a give and take, which means you do have some compromises.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,852
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Huh, cool post @vasillalov wish I could rep that.

    At first glance it seems counter-intuitive...but when thinking about maximizing flow to the core, it makes more sense. My meager technical knowledge of air flow continues to grow Click here to enlarge
    Repped, now u can rep

    I agree, you would think the op's design is best but that illustration makes sense
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  21. #246
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    510
    Rep Points
    311.2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.
    Sealing the radiators edges to prevent air from bypassing the cooling cores and back pressuring the engine compartment is more important than any wings in front of those cores.

    In fact the 3rd example from the top is just plain wrong in that not oly are the wings shrouding the core, the velocity will drop (look at the representative lines) immediately in from of the core. Just a real dumb idea.

    The lines on the 2nd illustration are just hilarious. I guarantee that there is no 180 turn in the incoming airflow direction anywhere in front of the core. The only thing of importance is the pressure difference between the front and backside of the core.

  22. #247
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    510
    Rep Points
    311.2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    ... there are two suction pipes which connects K&N Conical air filters to the turbos.
    Wow, putting K&N conical air filters on this build is like installing a JC Whitney toilet paper roll oil filter on it.

    Pay attention to where the highest air pressure area are in front of the car. There is a reason for where the inlets are located for most OEM CAI.

  23. #248
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Points
    1,639.5
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    17


    Yes Reputation No
    I still think you should have come up with a ratcheting system that just pressed the foot brake, if you were going to go hydraulic for an emergency/parking brake Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  24. #249
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Points
    2,896.3
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    29


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    Sealing the radiators edges to prevent air from bypassing the cooling cores and back pressuring the engine compartment is more important than any wings in front of those cores.

    In fact the 3rd example from the top is just plain wrong in that not oly are the wings shrouding the core, the velocity will drop (look at the representative lines) immediately in from of the core. Just a real dumb idea.

    The lines on the 2nd illustration are just hilarious. I guarantee that there is no 180 turn in the incoming airflow direction anywhere in front of the core. The only thing of importance is the pressure difference between the front and backside of the core.
    Werd! Whoever that corky bell guy is, he obviously has NO IDEA what he's talking about... /sarcasm
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  25. #250
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,311
    Rep Points
    1,439.5
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.

    From Corky Bell's book, chapter 5 "Intercooling":

    http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...2010253A-1.png

    my knowledge of flow/fluid dynamic stuff is a bit rusty.. but number '2' (better) with certain angles, rather than a flat 'wing' could be superior to 'best' no?

    otherwise mmm.. i can see a high pressure bubble being formed in the scoop, as you suggest..

    also, wouldn't 'best' not be even BETTER.. were the vanes not just straight forwards? as it is, it's slightly shrouded, which is entirely counter-intuitive?
    boop

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •