Close

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The dent has been a concern for equal meth delivery mainly from my understanding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-...8bad38&vxp=mtr
    2nd image down in post shows the best image of the dent I could find quickly.

There have been threads about a custom manifold to get rid of this. However the cost vs. performance benefit is high. If such a manifold also fixed the fueling issues then you would have a product that would sell like hot cakes. Issue is you would want to move the throttlebody if you are going to all the work of a custom IM. Which means a potentially very different charge pipe.

Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ntake-Manifold

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-and-335i-PICS
    Last edited by Torgus; 12-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it's not a TERRIBLE mani though? much better than the standard forward facing plenums popular in japanese cars?

I'd be concerned about flow to cylinder 6 too? Isn't it always the cylinder with the most carboned up valves? which to me isn't much of a good thing

Flow optimising, etc... would be the last expense you'd need for these cars

OEM replica maybe minus said indentation, with a port for injectors in each runner = major win. All that's really needed.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 12-10-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow @ the size of the dent, it's crushed by around 40%, didn't have phone on my and was tired so didn't grab a clear pic.. surely they could have done a better job than that O_O.. even if you could cut it out and epoxy on a LITTLE bit more breathing room, it would be much improved. So much worse than i was expecting!

i'll put pieces back together to see why what where tonight.. surely something can be done to improve it, that's no bueno at all.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    it's not a TERRIBLE mani though? much better than the standard forward facing plenums popular in japanese cars?
    It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd say it's any better than a forward facing plenum. If they are designed right, with the runner lengths tuned, a taper to the plenum, angles optimized at least a little bit... you can actually do a pretty good job with them.

Somebody should figure out a way to get a S54 intake onto our car with a nice twin inlet plenum over the ITB's. Mmm yeah buddy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    It's not terrible, but I don't know if I'd say it's any better than a forward facing plenum. If they are designed right, with the runner lengths tuned, a taper to the plenum, angles optimized at least a little bit... you can actually do a pretty good job with them.

Somebody should figure out a way to get a S54 intake onto our car with a nice twin inlet plenum over the ITB's. Mmm yeah buddy.
    mmm in further reading+checking mine, true, there's a lot of room for improvement... i had no idea one of the runners was crushed, and the distribution was so bad :/.

going by many of the reviews of RB series plenums, most of them are really poorly designed.. with a select few being worth the swap lol
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol. If you make a big looking aluminum intake manifold with skulls and flames and chrome and post a dyno with some gains RB people will throw money at you. Well they used to it seemed. This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

I would love to see a set of ITB's on a N54. I don't think I will live to see that day though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol. If you make a big looking aluminum intake manifold with skulls and flames and chrome and post a dyno with some gains RB people will throw money at you. Well they used to it seemed. This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

I would love to see a set of ITB's on a N54. I don't think I will live to see that day though.
    EXACTLY! hahaha

as for the ITB's, that'd have to be waaay down the list of bang for buck modifications... it's already a long enough wait for cams, let alone ITB's Click here to enlarge

this thread's still good, just the other N54 manifold specific one isn't lol
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thread had some nice potential until it died though.

This thread is not about developing an intake manifold. It is about rebuilding my n54 including tons of other developing except intake manifold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Charge pipe on cold side

We have charge pipe on the cold side. Still have to assembly our Forge DV on the charge pipe. We decided to use only one Forge DV instead of two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Plates for the vacuum canisters

This plate has multiply purposes, not just hold vacuum canisters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    This thread is not about developing an intake manifold. It is about rebuilding my n54 including tons of other developing except intake manifold.
    Whoops sorry, somebody resurrected that intake thread I had just read then saw that image posted here and thought I was still reading that thread. Your build is epic and in no way shape or form dead!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Okada Plasma Ground and Okada Coils

We use Okada Coils (cannot seen on the picture) and Okada Plasma Ground, which we put on this plate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Additional hand-brake master cylinder with custom-made fitment

Instead of the traditionaly hand-brake we use an additional master-brake cylinder on rear side ( both on left and on right side) which will be actuated by the hand-brake bowden. This master-brake cylinder will force the rear Brembo brakes.

Will be anodized as well once we did the tests.
    Last edited by csl335i; 12-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Piping on hot side and air filters

Today we have started to develop the piping on the hot side. There are two pipes, which directly connects turbos to the intercooler hot side and there are two suction pipes which connects K&N Conical air filters to the turbos. This is our version nr.1, will see how we can move forward. Air filters are placed behind the front bumber, on turbos side, under the main lamp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't agree with a hydraulic parking/emergency brake at all. In my opinion, it must be mechanical if you want it to be reliable.
    In personal experience, master cylinders/slave cylinders and even "line-lock" systems that are DESIGNED to lock the brakes leak down.

IMO, a small caliper like exotics have (Lamborghini/Ferrari/Porsche/etc) is the only way to go, like I had explained and described earlier.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    I don't agree with a hydraulic parking/emergency brake at all. In my opinion, it must be mechanical if you want it to be reliable.
    In personal experience, master cylinders/slave cylinders and even "line-lock" systems that are DESIGNED to lock the brakes leak down.

IMO, a small caliper like exotics have (Lamborghini/Ferrari/Porsche/etc) is the only way to go, like I had explained and described earlier.
    Will see how it works. I have DCT, so parking with hand-brake in most of the cases
    are unnecessary. This is just a crazy idea, i gave it a shot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    To provide more efficency, we put some "wings".
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.

From Corky Bell's book, chapter 5 "Intercooling":

Click here to enlarge
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Huh, cool post @vasillalov wish I could rep that.

At first glance it seems counter-intuitive...but when thinking about maximizing flow to the core, it makes more sense. My meager technical knowledge of air flow continues to grow Click here to enlarge
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to say but, you did the design of the intercooler wings wrong. When moving at speed, those wings that are angled outwards will create an air bubble infront of the intercooler and thus it will reduce the efficiency.

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...2010253A-1.png
    Thanks Vasillalow, I approciate your opinion. We belive the same as you refering. When we design our wings, we do it injoncution with the M3 front bridge. That is why we used the "Better" position instead of the "Best" position.
    Tuning a car is always a give and take, which means you do have some compromises.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Huh, cool post @vasillalov wish I could rep that.

At first glance it seems counter-intuitive...but when thinking about maximizing flow to the core, it makes more sense. My meager technical knowledge of air flow continues to grow Click here to enlarge
    Repped, now u can rep

I agree, you would think the op's design is best but that illustration makes sense
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sealing the radiators edges to prevent air from bypassing the cooling cores and back pressuring the engine compartment is more important than any wings in front of those cores.

In fact the 3rd example from the top is just plain wrong in that not oly are the wings shrouding the core, the velocity will drop (look at the representative lines) immediately in from of the core. Just a real dumb idea.

The lines on the 2nd illustration are just hilarious. I guarantee that there is no 180 turn in the incoming airflow direction anywhere in front of the core. The only thing of importance is the pressure difference between the front and backside of the core.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ... there are two suction pipes which connects K&N Conical air filters to the turbos.
    Wow, putting K&N conical air filters on this build is like installing a JC Whitney toilet paper roll oil filter on it.

Pay attention to where the highest air pressure area are in front of the car. There is a reason for where the inlets are located for most OEM CAI.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still think you should have come up with a ratcheting system that just pressed the foot brake, if you were going to go hydraulic for an emergency/parking brake Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    Sealing the radiators edges to prevent air from bypassing the cooling cores and back pressuring the engine compartment is more important than any wings in front of those cores.

In fact the 3rd example from the top is just plain wrong in that not oly are the wings shrouding the core, the velocity will drop (look at the representative lines) immediately in from of the core. Just a real dumb idea.

The lines on the 2nd illustration are just hilarious. I guarantee that there is no 180 turn in the incoming airflow direction anywhere in front of the core. The only thing of importance is the pressure difference between the front and backside of the core.
    Werd! Whoever that corky bell guy is, he obviously has NO IDEA what he's talking about... /sarcasm
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...2010253A-1.png

my knowledge of flow/fluid dynamic stuff is a bit rusty.. but number '2' (better) with certain angles, rather than a flat 'wing' could be superior to 'best' no?

otherwise mmm.. i can see a high pressure bubble being formed in the scoop, as you suggest..

also, wouldn't 'best' not be even BETTER.. were the vanes not just straight forwards? as it is, it's slightly shrouded, which is entirely counter-intuitive?
    boop

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast