Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Road and Track compares the 2008 E90 328i to the 2012 F30 328i - N20 versus N52 showdown

    This is not the first time this comparison has been done as the now defunct Insideline (integrated with Edmunds) did this same comparison over a year ago. People have short term memories so here is the same comparison yet again presented as if it is brand new content from Road and Track. So which is the better car? Well, the F30 being newer and sporting an underrated turbocharged four cylinder N20 motor definitely tips things in the F30's favor.

    Click here to enlarge

    Both vehicles are 6-speed manuals. Interestingly, the F30 is heavier with its 3412 pound curb weight than the E90 although just slightly by 26 pounds. The N20 four cylinder also affords the F30 with a little bit less weight on the nose as it's 49/51 front to rear weight distribution compared to the 50/50 for the E90 shows. The length of the N52 inline-6 in the E90 328i playing a factor.

    Performance wise the new 328i is simply faster. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds for the new car versus 6.0 for the E90 and the 1/4 mile coming in 14.3@100 for the F30 versus 14.7@96 for the E90. Definitely significant and the 0-100 number really tells the story as the N20 gets to 100 miles per hour a whole two seconds faster than the N52. Despite being rated only 10 horsepower higher at 240 the real world power difference is much larger than indicated by BMW.

    Additionally, the fuel economy figures show why BMW made the change. The N20 has more power and torque yet gets better mileage. 27 mpg in Road and Tracks testing versus 25 mpg for the N52 based E90. 2 miles per gallon plus better performance, difficult to argue with.

    Road and Track however does argue the E90 is the better car. Why? The steering feel is slightly more communicative. Also, the N52 is the better sounding motor in their opinion. Picking the E90 over the F30 based on the engine sound and steering feel? The steering feel point has merit but the performance gap simply is too large to ignore. Hard to agree with this decision and this statement:

    "In terms of real-world speed, the two cars are evenly matched, posting identical results on the 5-to-60-mph rolling-start test, where the naturally aspirated six's instant response beats the four's turbo lag. On the conventional 0–60 run, the more powerful four-banger is 0.4 second quicker—and as speeds increase, the new car pulls ever farther ahead."

    A two second difference in 0-100 times means in real world comparisons on the highway it really is no contest. From a stop, it's no contest as well. The only time the cars appear evenly matched is when the N20's turbo lag is used against it. This is a valid point but it is only a single situation that evens the cars as in all others the N20 offers superior performance and efficiency.

    A naturally aspirated BMW inline-6 will pretty much always sound better and be smoother than their turbo four-cylinders. But the E90 is not the better car and the N52 is not the better motor. The N52 is probably one of the weakest examples of a BMW naturally aspirated inline-6 that can be chosen. When one experiences the magic of an S54 high revving BMW inline-6 in an E46 M3 that is a whole different ballgame. In an example using base 3-Series cars where power, torque, and acceleration are all improved along with efficiency BMW's turbo decision makes complete sense. Road and Track's decision would make more sense if they were comparing a naturally aspirated previous generation M car to a new turbo M car. Efficiency is not at a premium in a performance model which should be a razor sharp responsive Ultimate Driving Machine.

    Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    974
    Rep Points
    442.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Not everyone buys cars for 0-100 times. And the N52 is not a "weak" motor. The F30 is a great car but there is nothing wrong with an E90 328.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,606
    Rep Points
    1,872.4
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Had a F30 328i m-sport loaner the other day. Worst 3-series I have ever driven. Add to that the interior is just awful to look at.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Not everyone buys cars for 0-100 times. And the N52 is not a "weak" motor. The F30 is a great car but there is nothing wrong with an E90 328.
    The N52 is weak and in the context of BMW inline-6's is one of the weakest examples. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a E90 328i it's a great car. The F30 328i is just better.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Had a F30 328i m-sport loaner the other day. Worst 3-series I have ever driven. Add to that the interior is just awful to look at.
    What was so bad about it? Everyone else is raving about their N20 loaners.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    369
    Rep Points
    442.3
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The N52 is weak and in the context of BMW inline-6's is one of the weakest examples. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a E90 328i it's a great car. The F30 328i is just better.
    God Sticky what you state as fact and information is just so pathetic. It's almost funny how you decorate your trailer trash method of doing "BMW" things into well written words you actually consider an 'article'. The lameness/hilarity kept me coming back, but it's just getting to the point where I have to stop and better my time. Your pretty words are nothing but information from a biased bafoon. A complete idiot bored with his time.

    I wonder who in the hell gave you a keyboard, and why they actually support you. Nasty women, rants, not following his own rules, bench racing, bashing. A true sign of a lonely home schooled trust fund baby beating his meat all day. GET A LIFE.

    Signed off until things improve.
    Alpha ///N - YouTube: 95CSL
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onurleft Click here to enlarge
    God Sticky what you state as fact and information is just so pathetic. It's almost funny how you decorate your trailer trash method of doing "BMW" things into well written words you actually consider an 'article'. The lameness/hilarity kept me coming back, but it's just getting to the point where I have to stop and better my time. Your pretty words are nothing but information from a biased bafoon. A complete idiot bored with his time.

    I wonder who in the hell gave you a keyboard, and why they actually support you. Nasty women, rants, not following his own rules, bench racing, bashing. A true sign of a lonely home schooled trust fund baby beating his meat all day. GET A LIFE.

    Signed off until things improve.
    So your rebuttal to me saying the N52 is a weak example of a naturally aspirated BMW inline-6, which it is, is a pointless string of insults? Good idea, sign off.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    298
    Rep Points
    272.3
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I have a feeling that the new 328i feels slower around town compared to the old 328i due to the turbo lag. And I would hate this. I spent weeks tuning my car for better low-end, which is priceless in crowded cities. I may be wrong though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I have a feeling that the new 328i feels slower around town compared to the old 328i due to the turbo lag. And I would hate this. I spent weeks tuning my car for better low-end, which is priceless in crowded cities. I may be wrong though.
    Well then why do people use the argument that the N54 has more low end than the S65?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    298
    Rep Points
    272.3
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well then why do people use the argument that the N54 has more low end than the S65?
    Well, the weeks I have spent to re-gain the low-end were because I installed RB turbos...Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    557
    Rep Points
    785.8
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I think the N20 will feel more peppy around town than the N52. More torque down low rather than having to work for it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    I think the N20 will feel more peppy around town than the N52. More torque down low rather than having to work for it.
    And here's the other side of the coin...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    39
    Rep Points
    24.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    F30 vs E90 vs RX8 :)

    I have read countless (as I'm sure most of you also have) articles comparing the demerits of the F30 vs past 3 series. I have driven several of those cars, as well as every model porsche and audi make due to a past life working at a dealership. My personal daily driver used to be a modified RX8 making 300+whp. I still own the 8, but the F30 is my favorite, particulary the 328i. I mention the 8 because neither the bmw nor most of the aforementioned audis and porsches could subjectively beat it when it comes to handling, steering, braking, or general road feel.

    I didn't buy the 3 to replace the 8, or because I felt that it should be as sporting. I bought it because it was an amazing combination of comfort, luxury, economy, and good-enough performance for most "passing" situations. I have taken several corners faster than I prefer just to push the limits on the street and my luxury line run flat laden car handled them with no issues.

    I can understand those that are frustrated due to the 3 no longer being as "edgy" as previous generations, but I closely shopped several E90s and didn't pull the trigger because the lack of comfort and economy combined with sportiness that couldn't match my 8 didn't seem worth it for a 40k+ vehicle.

    To summarize, I still love the 8, but at the advanced age of 30+ my daily driver priorities have slightly changed and the F30 is the perfect car for that.

    P.S. I love cruising at 35+mpg and having enough juice to put the car where I want when I want.
    Last edited by morkusyambo; 08-16-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammar

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,223
    Rep Points
    31,320.2
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by morkusyambo Click here to enlarge
    I have read countless (as I'm sure most of you also have) articles comparing the demerits of the F30 vs past 3 series. I have driven several of those cars, as well as every model porsche and audi make due to a past life working at a dealership. My personal daily driver used to be a modified RX8 making 300+whp. I still own the 8, but the F30 is my favorite, particulary the 328i. I mention the 8 because neither the bmw nor most of the aforementioned audis and porsches could subjectively beat it when it comes to handling, steering, braking, or general road feel.

    I didn't buy the 3 to replace the 8, or because I felt that it should be as sporting. I bought it because it was an amazing combination of comfort, luxury, economy, and good-enough performance for most "passing" situations. I have taken several corners faster than I prefer just to push the limits on the street and my luxury line run flat laden car handled them with no issues.

    I can understand those that are frustrated due to the 3 no longer being as "edgy" as previous generations, but I closely shopped several E90s and didn't pull the trigger because the lack of comfort and economy combined with sportiness that couldn't match my 8 didn't seem worth it for a 40k+ vehicle.

    To summarize, I still love the 8, but at the advanced age of 30+ my daily driver priorities have slightly changed and the F30 is the perfect car for that.

    P.S. I love cruising at 35+mpg and having enough juice to put the car where I want when I want.
    Your perspective is appreciated.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •