Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Who cares, community is working on bigger and better things. Let's just open this thing up and watch what happens.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

It's funny how Shiv can take something positive and turn so many people against it. He'd make a great WWF villain. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's funny how Shiv can take something positive and turn so many people against it. He'd make a great WWF villain. Click here to enlarge
    So assuming those units cost $200 each at wholesale, does this mean Shiv gets a $100, and Rombinhood gets a $100? Click here to enlarge

And when I think Shiv, I think The Undertaker.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

All I know is this open source ECU and programming talk is making my head hurt. It's amazing how well some people know this stuff it's like another language.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    All I know is this open source ECU and programming talk is making my heard. It's amazing how well some people know this stuff it's like another language.

...It is another language.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    ...It is another language.
    Well yeah that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I know this is going to take some time for this open sourcing stuff to get worked out, but how will all of this work out? Will we have a specific thread to dload the program and maps?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I know this is going to take some time for this open sourcing stuff to get worked out, but how will all of this work out? Will we have a specific thread to dload the program and maps?
    It will all be figured out in time. I'm thinking something cool would be a file exchange system right here in the forum (not like attachments, better) where you guys can all exchange maps. Ideally, this would be for more motors than just the N54.

Screw the OEM's, let's take back what's ours.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It will all be figured it out in time. I'm thinking something cool would be a file exchange system right here in the forum (not like attachments, better) where you guys can all exchange maps. Ideally, this would be for more motors than just the N54.

Screw the OEM's, let's take back what's ours.
    I like the sound of that Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I like the sound of that Click here to enlarge
    Something like this, but better, and organized per motor:

Click here to enlarge

Man am I having fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Something like this, but better, and organized per motor:

http://ultraimg.com/images/EFBkZ.png

Man am I having fun.
    I feel like when you guys get this to work and word gets out, this is going to put bimmerboost on another level. I'm sure there would be a bunch of people joining this forum to check it out for themselves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I feel like when you guys get this to work and word gets out, this is going to put bimmerboost on another level. I'm sure there would be a bunch of people joining this forum to check it out for themselves.
    We're already on another level but I get your point. Unlike "others" we aren't bending over and patting those reaming us on the back we're fighting for what's right. Deleting all those posts constantly probably takes more time than actually getting this accomplished anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

This is awesome. If an oscilloscope with the ability to decode the CAN bus would help (like this) let me know and I might be able to get a loaner for a short period of time.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Lets just say, what is going on in the sub forum right now is sex. I've just learned a ton.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I'm barely even processing it but it's awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what language are you guys going to write this in? i think once you get one or two spare dme, we can set up a dev environment where devs can login and fire up/test their reader/writer. this way we won't need many spare dme.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335okc Click here to enlarge
    what language are you guys going to write this in? i think once you get one or two spare dme, we can set up a dev environment where devs can login and fire up/test their reader/writer. this way we won't need many spare dme.
    I believe its going to start in C#. I'm traditionally a C++ coder though so we'll see what happens and when it begins to fork.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Ya seems C# is the popular choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Lets just say, what is going on in the sub forum right now is sex. I've just learned a ton.
    Definitely on the right path here... Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    This is awesome. If an oscilloscope with the ability to decode the CAN bus would help (like this) let me know and I might be able to get a loaner for a short period of time.

-Rich
    Those scopes are awesome. I have an MSO-X 3054A sitting on my bench at work.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

What is this sub forum? Sorry guys, have had limited time for forums lately, was moving and doing some major service work in the car on my last free day. Have some more time now and would like to help if I can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I may not have an n54, but any chance i could get in on this for the learning experience and figuring out how to apply this to older stuff like the m52tu and m56 (which is what i have)? Id certainly help as much as i could with the n54 too. I have inpa and the correct cables already, so id love to be able to tune my own car and put this supercharger i have sitting at my house to good use

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Glad to see this going in the right direction!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Also, I thought of the same thing, to have a networked DME, but the truth is, with so much room for error and bricking a DME, I highly doubt this would make sense, not to mention multiple people trying to use it at the same time. There are also physical limitations, some responses to the DME have to be done within less than 5ms, and for that, you'd at least have to be on a LAN which essentially makes it colocation and pointless. This doesn't include the processing time to generate that response, which gets added to the latency of sending the response.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I haven't read through all of this yet (I just got busy again at work), but I just want to post to say I am totally in. I'm a somewhat experienced programmer and computer engineer, so hopefully I can bring something to this. When I first saw the "open source" project, I had high hopes for the first while. Then the story changed, and I legitimately got a little mad and thought "this can't be so complicated that the community couldn't figure it out". It's not rocket science and it's not bleeding edge technology -- we just need to do some reversing and figure out what's what. I think people would be amazed at the pace of progress if even 4 or 5 dedicated folks pooled their resources together. It would be so nice to send a big "$#@! you" to the people that keep trying to bleed us dry over what is at this point an old ish car/motor.

Thank you for starting this! It was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm still pretty agitated about the whole "open source" bull$#@!.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast