Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Just want to point out that your signature should have a clause that excludes direct injected engines...

lmfao... you are absolutely correct
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by undercover Click here to enlarge
    Dynojets are only a standard here. Why. I don't know. More than likely its due to the leading n54/55 performance manufactures use them.

However just last week on 95 degree days with 80% humidity one of our Supras had a hard time keeping traction on our dyno. So we did a test.

Our Dyno= 798whp/560wtrq
    Mustang 500=749whp/596wtrq
    Dynojet=822whp/602wtrq

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dynos are tools not penis measuring sticks. If someone is really that curious as to how much whp their car makes. Scale it. Run it. Do the math. There are shops on this board that want to protect their "highest hp status". Personally we could care less. Were a little more along the lines of shut up, lets run. At the end of the day nothing else matters.

To this day I cannot understand the fascination of dyno results.

If car A made x hp/trq before modding or tuning, then was modded and or tuned and made x amount. The delta between the 2 is all that matters. Car "A" picked up 132 hp. YAY! We have progressed forward. Any dyno is going to show the percentage increase similarly.

The boards would be filled with much more useful data if everyone would please stop keyboard drag racing.

I am returning to my hole aka the dyno

See you guys next month or something

Garth
    Dynos are a very important part but people struggle with understanding variance and tend to treat them like they are written in stone. Several articles as of late have been on the topic of how easy it is to manipulate the numbers:

http://www.germanboost.com/content.p...r-Mustang-Dyno
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...le-at-the-dyno

That said accurate dyno numbers are an important part of the picture. I said part, as there are timeslips and numerous other measurements but all have pluses and minuses.

People SHOULD focus on the delta.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    People SHOULD focus on the delta.
    Says the guy with only a peak number in his sig Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Says the guy with only a peak number in his sig Click here to enlarge
    That isn't the 'peak' number Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dynojets are only a standard here. Why. I don't know. More than likely its due to the leading n54/55 performance manufactures use them.

However just last week on 95 degree days with 80% humidity one of our Supras had a hard time keeping traction on our dyno. So we did a test.

Our Dyno= 798whp/560wtrq
    Dynojet=822whp/602wtrq

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dynos are tools not penis measuring sticks. If someone is really that curious as to how much whp their car makes. Scale it. Run it. Do the math. There are shops on this board that want to protect their "highest hp status". Personally we could care less. Were a little more along the lines of shut up, lets run. At the end of the day nothing else matters.

If car A made x hp/trq before modding or tuning, then was modded and or tuned and made x amount. The delta between the 2 is all that matters. Car "A" picked up 132 hp. YAY! We have progressed forward. Any dyno is going to show the percentage increase similarly.

The boards would be filled with much more useful data if everyone would please stop keyboard drag racing.

Garth
    Listen to Garth people!!! The gains...it's the gains!
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    Why thank you , kind sir. (snobby voice)
    Click here to enlarge
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Our Dyno= 798whp/560wtrq
    Dynojet=822whp/602wtrq

Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garth
    Garth, I hate it as much as you do but the fact is this world is driven by numbers. Every email I get regarding turbos asks me about WHP WHP WHP. 24WHP / 42 WTQ difference between dyno's when people are so number conscience is actually worth noting. This would bring brens numbers back in line with where we all know they should be on stock turbos. Does it matter one tiny bit in the end. Hell no, but as I said this world is driven by numbers so having a constant device used to measure in my book is important to keep the playing field level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't tell if I'm brilliant compared to the average dyno number chaser or if they're just retarded. Regardless, the difference is there.

This is a tired old argument. Please. You can't tell me that we can figure out how to make a big single turbo work, that Vargas can make damn near 600 whp on ACN91, that we can ceramic coat various parts of the engine for increased thermal efficiency, understanding scavenging and exhaust gas velocity, yet still, in 2013, we (as customers/clients, not speaking to vendors here) don't automatically acknowledge that most dynos read differently, nevermind different dyno types.

We're supposed to not be stupid. That means, we automatically, when seeing a dyno that is generous, apply some factor in our heads to make it "make sense" with whatever we're used to. Likewise, if we see a dyno that's a heartbreaker, we automatically apply a little extra to make it in line with what we would see on whatever we use. We pay attention to deltas and take everything, ever, always, with a grain of salt, because even if it ruffles our feathers, dynos and power measurement are not a perfect science, and are highly dependent upon a massive amount of variables. This does mean that the burden of discernment is on our shoulders, rather than just looking at one number and deciding who is grand champion of the dyno extravaganza.

Below is an excerpt from my uncle, who did engine design for Roger Penske (Indy 500 cars, then Toyota Truck stuff), regarding comparisons:

Comparisons.....well yes, most are a sham, done under poorly controlled conditions and many uncontrolled variables. These challenges exist all the way up to professional, as the details become quite challenging for most companies smaller than GE, for an example. It takes a lot of capital to get the equipment needed.

For example...controlling inlet air temp & humidity during test. I spec'd out an open loop combustion air make-up system for the test cell at Penske. Pull in outside air, chill it (1000 CFM air conditioner), strip out the moisture (during the cooling, condenses out the moisture), inject steam to reach desired dewpoint, and reheat to desired air temp. This allowed us to control inlet temp and humidity to within 1 degree, crucial in an environment where you are looking for 0.5% performance increase. This test kit was a couple hundred thousand dollars (on top of the price of the test cell and equipment, which was about a million). Working over the a very narrow range of turbo boost, and variation in atmospheric pressure was taken care of by the turbo, so we lived with that error.

At Toyota, we installed the same. But then we went into the IRL which was naturally aspirated engines using an airbox and air scoop right above the drivers head. the shape and impact of the airbox was significant, and impacted the fueling across all 8 cylinders. So, we merely installed a 200mph combustion air system, flow rate = enormous, and aim it right in front of the inlet (car cowling and inlet scoop also became part of the dyno set up) to simulate track conditions. That worked well, but cost over $1MM. Just to find the last couple of hp.

I believe very little about reported performance increases due to aftermarket stuff. Not saying they don;t work, but correctly reporting the performance increase is tough.
    Last edited by SCGT; 07-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can we all just raceClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    I probably run as much boost as you do fuel pressure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^^ now we're talkin' Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    He's still banned, but we unfortunately never got the chance to run accurately (we did one run 3 wide, but he even said he couldn't hear me honked & jumped just a bit)...

As for the track, I'm placing an order for Conti DWS' to get off my OEM RFTs that have 52k and are desperately in need of being replaced. After they're gone, I'll try to get to Atco and share the results.

It's an E40 blend. The 1M also benefits from having two dimensional fueling tables, so you can further fine tune and juice out a few more ponies.
    Hey hey now, according to the video in did not jump Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Laloosh Click here to enlarge
    Hey hey now, according to the video in did not jump Click here to enlarge
    We need to get a quality run in soon, like in the next couple of weeks lol
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345