Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i dont have the bump you're referring to. i have an quaife LSD tho, are you referring to only wavetrac users? everyone has issues? if so thats a faulty product. ive had my quaife LSD for almost 2 years now, i have never heard a bump or noise from it, i have never broken a half shaft but have snapped camber links on road courses. the bump can be fixd, but you're looking in the wrong places, what you're doing is trying to mask the sound instead of resolving it. unfortunately i think the problem is with the LSD unit itself. i would consider selling and trying a new company.
    If your car auto or manual?

The thump does not mean it is defective.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    manual, but also 6speed sticky. hey im no stats major but if everyone is having issues with the wavetrac lsd except fbis, somethings up. because dzenno's statement just cannot work with all LSD manufacter's, for instance, i go against this statement.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Just as many ppl on the boards reported having any type of an LSD installed in their 335s, so far, I found only ONE that doesn't have the upshift thumps (former boosted)...
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just so we are all on the same page, FBIS has the Quaife LSD. Dzenno and him both have 6mt. Man, I really hope you get this straightened out Dzenno! Props for not quitting on it. FBIS mentioned to me that the wavetrac may have a design flaw, he didn't elaborate.

I'm going to try and get more info on this. Evolution Racewerks assured me that they had zero problems with this unit. I'm gonna put it on hold as far as my car goes. It is significantly less money than the quaife. Has anyone asked Mr. 5 if his makes noise? I know he posted a while back on e90 regarding the wavetrac on his 6mt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "Design flaw" is a pretty bold statement ... He definitely needs to elaborate..

Talking to the indy shop owner he's confident he can fix the issue, which he thinks is backlash related...should know more by end of this week hopefully Wednesday
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i also hope you can resolve this with as little money as possible. ill stay tuned and look forward to your news wednesday. did you read my couple posts here? not all LSD users (except fbis) have the bump/noise man.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just ordered my Wavetrac today. Once the car is back, Fred will install it. He has a stock differential in so I won't need a core deposit. I'll just show up and he'll bill for 3.5 hours - that portion of the install. Pretty good at $80 per hour. I'll let you know on the thump issue too. Kinda expecting a bit of it and willing to add it to the mix of AE, AR, intake and flywheel noises of non stock origin.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just got word from FBIS that he's got a thump in 2nd gear as well...he's got a Quaife...i should know more about my case tomorrow or Thursday depending on when the shop schedules me in...two things to address:

1) Upshift thump in low load conditions (e.g. easiest to reproduce: clutch disengaged moving shifter from 3rd to 4th back and forth without engaging the clutch, thump on upshift into 4th)
    2) Vibration in 3rd and 6th gears on deceleration (just foot off of throttle, no brakes used)...In 3rd it happens when foot is off throttle at 85km/h down to 65km/h and in 6th when foot off throttle at 140km/h down to 125km/h

Both of these are "hopefully" too much backlash...for me a success here would be to at least greatly minimize thumps if they can't be completely cured...

encinitas, good luck! let us know how it goes..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any luck Dzenno?
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Taking the car to another tranny shop tomorrow morning...they'll take down the diff and remeasure everything with me watching over their shoulder...hopefully this exercise will pin point where the issue or issues are...maybe there are none Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good luck man, I hope it gets sorted. Also mark October 1st on your calendar. Champion's track day has been moved to this date so hopefully you will be in full working condition to lay down some 11s!
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have wavetrac and no thump. But im AT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: Diff was fully inspected on the bench, backlash adjusted as per spec, 0.004", (was more than double that initially) using side shims on drive axle shafts, new snap rings and seals put on drive axle shafts, pinion wasn't pulled as it was never touched/removed by the original installer but pinion depth and gear pattern were checked with paint and its spot on so pinion depth is fine.

We reassembled everything back on the car replacing all bolts that are recommended to be replaced, along with a new insert nut, clip and seal. Everything torqued to spec as per Bentley Manual, driveshaft reinstalled as per bentley manual (fastening tranny side first then diff side then center bearing with the right preload (pushed 2-3mm towards the front of the car and torqued up).

After ALL this, the thump and vibration are STILL THERE Click here to enlarge F$&@"&&@@& Click here to enlarge

Car's going back in tomorrow morning, we'll run it on the lift with the wheels suspended and concentrate on the driveshaft. I'm glad we got the diff mystery out of the way at least now that I know 110% it's setup right. More to follow tomorrow...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to left you know the vibration in 3rd and 6th is considered normal. I have felt many an M3 and 335 with this...including my own...and my car was stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What you said you have an aftermarket flywheel???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i knew it wasnt the install job, dude it has to be the unit. it could just be a defective unit from wavetrac. but maybe not, maybe your car will forever make this noise, unless you go back to an open diff, lol, at this point who knows? all i know is i know of at least 10 members with perfectly fine working aftermarket lsd's on 335's without any noise or vibration caused by the diff (exhaust vibrations are a different thing Click here to enlarge ). a couple of them even have the wavetrac unit you have. i hope you at least feel a difference from all those bushings and what not you changed, is it a firmer ride? having your car not working 100% sucks man, i know, but you have to find the issue directly, and fix it the right way first, otherwise you end up in the situation you're in, buying parts and doing jobs/paying for labor that didnt need to be done.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After ALL this, the thump and vibration are STILL THERE F$&@"&&@@&
    I know it is driving you nuts, but you may want to try getting used to it. That, or we need CSI to take a crack at this thump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what else can be done with this issue. Car's back from the shop today, both thumps and vibration on decel are still there. I started another thread on e90post asking ppl to chime in whether any of them have/hear a thump from the rear and so far NONE said they can reproduce it on their cars. Some are stock some have a quaife, so far no wavetrac users chimed in. None of them either have a vibration which happens for me in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th gears (can't feel it in 1st or 5th) at different speeds all around 2500-3000rpm on decel...

I'm running out of ideas...

Here's something that we noticed at the shop that we don't know if its to be attributed to play inside the diff or bad driveshaft. With the final drive assembled on the car, driveshaft fully assembled, car in neutral, ebrake on, if you grab with your hand and twist the driveshaft you'll see the halfshafts move (like in the above clip, obviously not instantly but after minimal movement in the driveshaft i.e. backlash). If that's where the driveshaft stopped twisting it'd be fine BUT Once the halfshafts moved (as a result of us twisting on the driveshaft or the flange nut on the diff), halfshafts would stop turning but at that moment we could twist the driveshaft another 1/8"-1/16" further from where the halfshafts stopped moving. Shouldn't the flange nut that sits right on the pinion STOP moving as soon as the halfshafts stopped moving due to the ebrake being on and preventing their further movement? Why would the pinion twist further...this is with minimal force using just two fingers to grab at either the driveshaft or the flange nut..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    What you said you have an aftermarket flywheel???

Yes the ClutchMasters one. After this was installed, 2 weeks ago, the vibration appeared. Thump is there since the LSD was installed almost 1.5-2 months ago...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what else can be done with this issue. Car's back from the shop today, both thumps and vibration on decel are still there. I started another thread on e90post asking ppl to chime in whether any of them have/hear a thump from the rear and so far NONE said they can reproduce it on their cars. Some are stock some have a quaife, so far no wavetrac users chimed in. None of them either have a vibration which happens for me in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th gears (can't feel it in 1st or 5th) at different speeds all around 2500-3000rpm on decel...

I'm running out of ideas...

Here's something that we noticed at the shop that we don't know if its to be attributed to play inside the diff or bad driveshaft. With the final drive assembled on the car, driveshaft fully assembled, car in neutral, ebrake on, if you grab with your hand and twist the driveshaft you'll see the halfshafts move (like in the above clip, obviously not instantly but after minimal movement in the driveshaft i.e. backlash). If that's where the driveshaft stopped twisting it'd be fine BUT Once the halfshafts moved (as a result of us twisting on the driveshaft or the flange nut on the diff), halfshafts would stop turning but at that moment we could twist the driveshaft another 1/8"-1/16" further from where the halfshafts stopped moving. Shouldn't the flange nut that sits right on the pinion STOP moving as soon as the halfshafts stopped moving due to the ebrake being on and preventing their further movement? Why would the pinion twist further...this is with minimal force using just two fingers to grab at either the driveshaft or the flange nut..
    My thinking is that if it was the driveshaft that was bad you would have experienced noises earlier and it would be more of a constant, not just when you depress the clutch pedal a certain way. I had to replace the driveshaft on my SUV and you KNEW it was the driveshaft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes the ClutchMasters one. After this was installed, 2 weeks ago, the vibration appeared. Thump is there since the LSD was installed almost 1.5-2 months ago...
    I was about to say the flywheel is causing the problem...its so light weight that its not keeping the rotational mass inertia up and the transmission is playing catchup...causing it to clunk the rear end when you shift a gear.

I noticed a lot of e46 330xis with a 6 speed do the same $#@!...but its all stock..clunk in the rear a lot, especially at low speeds.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I was about to say the flywheel is causing the problem...its so light weight that its not keeping the rotational mass inertia up and the transmission is playing catchup...causing it to clunk the rear end when you shift a gear.

I noticed a lot of e46 330xis with a 6 speed do the same $#@!...but its all stock..clunk in the rear a lot, especially at low speeds.
    your thoughts make sense but i dont think it relates to the OP. when dzenno presses in the clutch all the way without moving the shifter, no noise. only when he moves the shifter back and forth between 3rd and 4th for instance (clutch still fully depressed) he gets the thump in the rear. it is very very strange.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're right oddjob..

Clutch/flywheel were installed just 2 weeks ago while I had the LSD done about 6-7 weeks ago when the thump started (right after the swap)...Vibration started happening after the clutch/flywheel install, thump started way before with the LSD swap
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: issue was related to damaged rear halfshafts and binding CV joints on them...after breaking one of them, got them remanufactured/upgraded by DSS and all vibrations/issues are GONE! Click here to enlarge glad its none of the issues I thought it was originally especially not my lightweight flywheel...i love that thing Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    UPDATE: issue was related to damaged rear halfshafts and binding CV joints on them...after breaking one of them, got them remanufactured/upgraded by DSS and all vibrations/issues are GONE! Click here to enlarge glad its none of the issues I thought it was originally especially not my lightweight flywheel...i love that thing Click here to enlarge
    Hahah, well there you go, awesome. Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12