Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Well, good luck seeing anything M powered again. The S65 is the last true "///M" engine produced. Everything from this forward will be based off production engines.

It sucks, and I hate it.
    (Coming from a guy who has an "s"52 lol)
    I know: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-in-production

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have said it before and I'll sayit again, the e30, e36, and e46 m3's all had engines based off regular production engines, they were vastly different, yes but they weren't totally unique like the s65 was.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I have said it before and I'll sayit again, the e30, e36, and e46 m3's all had engines based off regular production engines, they were vastly different, yes but they weren't totally unique like the s65 was.
    You're incorrect with the E30.

The S65 was based on the S85 but based off a unique design.

Ultimately, each one of those cars had a motor you could not get in a non-M. Can't say that with the 1M...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry but the e30 m3 s14 was based off the m10 block...

Wiki quote:The BMW S14 is a straight-4 DOHC piston engine which was used in the E30 M3. It is based on the M10 block and the M88 head with two cylinders removed.[1] The successor to the S14 is the S50 six cylinder engine (since it was used in the following M3).

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S14

I never mentioned the 1m

I'm so sick of people acting like all BMW m engines were unique, the s65 was the ONLY m3 to have a unique engine, all the others were based off existing engines... Just like they are doing with the s55

Do u want a m3 to cost the same as a Ferrari? Keep asking for unique engines. What makes the m3 so special is it's a factory modded, track oriented, touring car, based off the normal BMW people commute to working everyday. Let's hope they keep that formula in the new f30 m3
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry but the e30 m3 s14 was based off the m10 block...

Wiki quote:The BMW S14 is a straight-4 DOHC piston engine which was used in the E30 M3. It is based on the M10 block and the M88 head with two cylinders removed.[1] The successor to the S14 is the S50 six cylinder engine (since it was used in the following M3).

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S14
    Based on the M10 block but with an M88/S38 head design. It's a unique motor you can't get in anything else. You can get the M10 block, then what?

I'm so sick of people acting like all BMW m engines were unique, the s65 was the ONLY m3 to have a unique engine, all the others were based off existing engines... Just like they are doing with the s55
    They were significantly modified hardware wise. It wasn't just the same internals and some different software. Look at how the S63 and N63 are sharing internals now to keep costs down. You didn't have S54 pistons and rods in an M54 now did you?

Do u want a m3 to cost the same as a Ferrari? Keep asking for unique engines.
    Did mine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They aren't unique they are built off a production motor, JUST like the s55. I'll use ur logic, Will u get the s55 in another car? No, it will be unique.

People keep saying the BMW is going away from making unique m motors bc they are making the s55, but they aren't. Again, the s65 was the only m3 motor based off another m motor and it was unique to m cars, all the parts involved. Every other m3 had parts in the engine that came from non m engines...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They aren't unique they are built off a production motor, JUST like the s55. I'll use ur logic, Will u get the s55 in another car? No, it will be unique.
    Yes the S55 will be more unique than the 1M with the N54. But... we will never see another motor that is a ground up M design. That's the point isn't it?

People keep saying the BMW is going away from making unique m motors bc they are making the s55, but they aren't. Again, the s65 was the only m3 motor based off another m motor and it was unique to m cars, all the parts involved. Every other m3 had parts in the engine that came from non m engines...
    No the S14 was unique as pointed out. It's not an M10 it uses an M10 block which makes sense. It isn't based on the M10 unless nobody cares about the top half of the motor any longer?

What exactly is the S54 sharing with non-M motors?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Again I never mentioned the 1m

Like I've said a couple times, the engines in other m3's , besides the s65, were based off production model non m BMW motors.

S54- The S54 is the high performance version of the M50 and was used in the E46 M3, Z3 M Coupé / Roadster, and the E85 Z4 M Roadster / E86 M Coupe.
    The S54 is technically an evolution of the iron-block S50B32. It shares few major components with the S50 and differences include:[citation needed]
    Increased cylinder bore to 87*mm (from 86.1*mm) for a new total displacement of 3,246 cc (from 3,201 cc)
    Modified camshafts
    High pressure Double VANOS continuously variable valve timing system with faster operation at high rpm
    Increased compression to 11.5:1 (from 11.3:1)
    More advanced BMW/Siemens MSS 54 engine management control
    Finger-type rocker arms for reduced reciprocating mass and friction
    One-piece aluminum head casting for lighter weight
    Scavenging oil pump to maintain pressure during heavy cornering

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S54#S54
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes the S55 will be more unique than the 1M with the N54. But... we will never see another motor that is a ground up M design. That's the point isn't it?

No the S14 was unique as pointed out. It's not an M10 it uses an M10 block which makes sense. It isn't based on the M10 unless nobody cares about the top half of the motor any longer?

The s15 uses parts from a non m engine, and a very big one (block) as I'm sure others

Just like the s55 will use parts and components from the n55

BMW is doing what it has always done with the s55, making a m motor using a motor already running in the BMW lineup ...

How many more ways do I need to say it?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Again I never mentioned the 1m

Like I've said a couple times, the engines in other m3's , besides the s65, were based off production model non m BMW motors.

S54- The S54 is the high performance version of the M50 and was used in the E46 M3, Z3 M Coupé / Roadster, and the E85 Z4 M Roadster / E86 M Coupe.
    The S54 is technically an evolution of the iron-block S50B32. It shares few major components with the S50 and differences include:[citation needed]
    Increased cylinder bore to 87*mm (from 86.1*mm) for a new total displacement of 3,246 cc (from 3,201 cc)
    Modified camshafts
    High pressure Double VANOS continuously variable valve timing system with faster operation at high rpm
    Increased compression to 11.5:1 (from 11.3:1)
    More advanced BMW/Siemens MSS 54 engine management control
    Finger-type rocker arms for reduced reciprocating mass and friction
    One-piece aluminum head casting for lighter weight
    Scavenging oil pump to maintain pressure during heavy cornering

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S54#S54
    Yep sounds right to me. So what, is someone going to buy an M50 block and have an S54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The s15 uses parts from a non m engine, and a very big one (block) as I'm sure others

Just like the s55 will use parts and components from the n55

BMW is doing what it has always done with the s55, making a m motor using a motor already running in the BMW lineup ...

How many more ways do I need to say it?
    The S14 is not based on any other motor once again. Sharing a block makes equal motors? Nope.

I understand what you are saying and I'm not disagreeing what I'm saying is we will not get another unique M motor and BMW is now sharing parts between the motors on a whole new level in order to maximize profit. Their decision is to minimize costs at much as possible which hurts us as... we will never get a unique M motor again or anything like an S14 for that matter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep sounds right to me. So what, is someone going to buy an M50 block and have an S54?
    No, but BMW is taking a production engine and designing a m engine, *gasp* just like they are doing with the s55Click here to enlarge

The statement : " the days of unique m engines built from the ground up are over" is idiotic

That's the point I've been making the whole time....again the s65 was the only m3 motor made from the ground up by BMW m
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, but BMW is taking a production engine and designing a m engine, *gasp* just like they are doing with the s55Click here to enlarge

The statement : " the days of unique m engines built from the ground up are over" is idiotic

That's the point I've been making the whole time....again the s65 was the only m3 motor made from the ground up by BMW m
    I agree with them designing an S55 for an M car and disagree with dumping in a motor with no hardware changes that isn't an M motor into an M... my whole point.

The days of a unique M engine being over is not idiotic as that is what BMW themselves just stated recently. It's a fact, what's idiotic is we let them get away wit hit.

The S65 is not the only ground up motor the S14 was created specifically for the E30 M3. The precedent for the M3 is a ground up motor. The S65 is based on the S85 block btw. So definitely similar to your M10 block argument as in you understand it in one context but not the other.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The N54 is amazing, but it's not an S engine. (derp) Since I deal with this stuff every day, I look at S engines as being more 'fit' for circuit/rally/hillclimb/track etc use. I know of 2 N54 race cars and they seem to always be down. Not saying it's impossible to build one for race use, but none of the big boys have done it, for a reason.

Bimmerworld will be debuting their N20 race car very soon and turbo M3/M4 race cars will be happening sooner that we think. Exciting times!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with them designing an S55 for an M car and disagree with dumping in a motor with no hardware changes that isn't an M motor into an M... my whole point.

The days of a unique M engine being over is not idiotic as that is what BMW themselves just stated recently. It's a fact, what's idiotic is we let them get away wit hit.
    The S65 is not the only ground up motor the S14 was created specifically for the E30 M3. The
    precedent for the M3 is a ground up motor. The S65 is based on the S85 block btw. So definitely
    similar to your M10 block argument as in you understand it in one context but not the other.

I agree with you on the 1m, but the s55 will be more than software, it will be like the past....

The s65 is based off the s85(a m motor) while the s14 uses the m10 block (a non m motor), get it? The s65 is a "ground up m motor" while every other m3 motor is not, including the s14.

M10 was far from a m motor.... It was in the BMW 318

"M10 [edit]
    The 1.8*L (1766*cc/107*in3) M10 produced 98*hp (73*kW).
    Applications:
    1975 E21 318
    1976 E12 518"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M10
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brey335i Click here to enlarge
    As much as I love the N54... it's not an M motor. Just clearing that up.

Really? So the 1M doesn't exist?

Oh, and don't say people bye a 1M cause they can't afford an M6 for $120, most 1Ms you find now sell for similar price as an M3

It's a 1M instead of M1, well, because the M1 is a different F-ing car! If you don't know about the M1, you know, the car that started everything "M", then stfu and just read.

Anyway, this thread sucks and is now filled with idiots getting into a pissing match over things that don't really matter cause you can't answer the questions asked by me, the OP! If you're an admin you should either clean this up or just delete it altogether, not much useful info is coming of this, unless you didn't know the 1m has an N54, or why it's a 1M, and not M1...
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    The N54 is amazing, but it's not an S engine. (derp) Since I deal with this stuff every day, I look at S engines as being more 'fit' for circuit/rally/hillclimb/track etc use. I know of 2 N54 race cars and they seem to always be down. Not saying it's impossible to build one for race use, but none of the big boys have done it, for a reason.

Bimmerworld will be debuting their N20 race car very soon and turbo M3/M4 race cars will be happening sooner that we think. Exciting times!
    Mind elaborating on the N54, and why not to build it? Finally a post about the thread...thank you kind sir!
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with you on the 1m, but the s55 will be more than software, it will be like the past....
    As it should be right?

The s65 is based off the s85(a m motor) while the s14 uses the m10 block (a non m motor), get it? The s65 is a "ground up m motor" while every other m3 motor is not, including the s14.
    So to be an M-motor is has to be a ground up M block or rather more accurately to be a ground up M motor it needs to be designed as an M motor with a unique block? BMW applied "s" designations to motors that shared blocks so that's clearly not the definition. The fact and point is that we will never again see a unique ground up M motor more parts are going to be shared. Right?

M10 was far from a m motor.... It was in the BMW 318
    And it's not an M motor. The S14 is though. And it was built for DTM racing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    320 so yes, they may just leave it as an M235i. We don't know yet but the CLA45 AMG and the RS3 may pressure it.
    Yeah, that's true too

don't want audi/vw/merc to have ALL the smallish performance euro car market, which is obviously there.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys aren't tired of this conversation yet?....Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol....this is endless

Neither you or I @Sticky can explain how many parts/components were shared in other m3 engines with the engines they are based upon, however, we can agree that the s65 was and is the only engine built from "the ground up" by BMW m, sharing nothing but parts from another m motor (s85) right?

I'm not saying what rules apply to be a m motor or not, I'm saying the simple fact is, the s65 is the only motor designed by BMW m from the ground up, all other motors including the s55 will share parts with non m motors.... So again, I don't see where BMW is going away from something, if anything, with the s55 they are going back to how they used to design m motors.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

you're contradicting yourself within this post alone...

the S55 will be as much an M motor as any other M motor. it's based of a modifed production engine, just like every M engine before it (besides the S65, ish)

the S55 *IS* as much a ground up M design (new everything) just like the S54, S52, S14...

>The E46 M3 is powered by the S54 engine series, which is an evolution of the S50B32, itself being based on the M50. It still features an iron block as opposed to the aluminum M54.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    You guys aren't tired of this conversation yet?....Click here to enlarge
    Nope, I'm having a beer on a rainy night at the beach, it's boring here... Lol
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    holy $#@!, sticky, no one is saying that

you won't be able to take an N55 either, and make it an S55. it won't be possible (without replacing EVERYTHING to match)
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge

there's no reason it can't be built strong, it's even a cheaper base than any modern m-car.

the local 135i racecars build the block nice and strong, but keep the stock turbos (which obviously aren't up to the task of extended track abuse) and end up vomiting black smoke and oil halfway through an endurance race.

all they really need is to replace those turbos, and they'd be class winners without even breaking a sweat. instead, they cheap out and don't touch them then complain that the turbos broke.

it shouldn't be too long before building an N54 as a reliable track motor isn't a pipe-dream... i agree though, up until recently, it wasn't the smartest thing to attempt for anything other than time attack

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Mind elaborating on the N54, and why not to build it? Finally a post about the thread...thank you kind sir!
    well, you buy an S54, S65, and you wail on it all over a track all day, and it won't complain

N54.... well, it's obvious what happens when you track a stock N54, it goes into limp mode from oil temps (and water temps if 6AT) and blows turbos/wastegates

unless you're willing to completely strip the N54 and build it up addressing every shortcoming, you're gonna have a bad time.
    boop

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast