Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Chicago close to repealing concealed carry gun ban

This is somewhat amusing to me. Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the country yet the most gun violence. The solution to it isn't stricter gun control but allowing concealed carry. So combating gun violence isn't done by restricting guns for the law abiding but allowing them to protect themselves. As it should be, finally some common sense:

As Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn mulls whether to sign off on eliminating the country's last concealed carry ban, the question in Chicago is whether it will matter in the crime-weary city. Will a place that long had some of the nation's tightest restrictions on handguns be more at risk? Or will it be safer with a law that can only add to the number of guns already on the street?

Neighborhood leaders, anti-crime activists and police officials worry about additional mayhem in Chicago. But other residents, including some who live in Chicago's more violent areas, believe more guns will allow them to defend themselves better.

"We just had a weekend where something like 48 people were shot, seven died," said Otis McDonald, 79, one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that ended with the U.S. Supreme Court tossing out Chicago's strict gun ban three years ago. "Now law abiding citizens like myself ... can carry them when they want to and not carry them when they don't want to, and the people out there who will do us harm won't know when we got them and when we don't."

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-prepar...193704212.html

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I like the way Otis thinks.. The problem isn't guns though, the problem is people... If we got rid of people, we wouldn't have gun violence... I know I know, I'm talking genocide of the human race...

In all seriousness, if they would just simple kill anyone who's committed a crime using a gun, we would have less criminals getting back on the streets and committing the same crime all over again... Forget judge jury, life sentence in jail for murdering someone, just $#@!ing put them to death and be done with it... Eye for an Eye, you killed me, you deserve to die as well, simple... Now if you rob my store with a gun, cut one his hands off, if you do it again, cut the other...

Sometimes the most simplistic of punishments is the best, but no we have to have trials that span days, weeks or months, draining money and time over a simple matter as, you killed someone, you deserve to die, deal with it.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    I like the way Otis thinks.. The problem isn't guns though, the problem is people... If we got rid of people, we wouldn't have gun violence... I know I know, I'm talking genocide of the human race...

In all seriousness, if they would just simple kill anyone who's committed a crime using a gun, we would have less criminals getting back on the streets and committing the same crime all over again... Forget judge jury, life sentence in jail for murdering someone, just $#@!ing put them to death and be done with it... Eye for an Eye, you killed me, you deserve to die as well, simple... Now if you rob my store with a gun, cut one his hands off, if you do it again, cut the other...

Sometimes the most simplistic of punishments is the best, but no we have to have trials that span days, weeks or months, draining money and time over a simple matter as, you killed someone, you deserve to die, deal with it.
    This right here, never understood why people don't get this. Hate when people say "Who are we to judge who lives and dies" Wut...dude just shot 50 people, I'm pretty sure the answer is clear.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's about time.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Under what delusional scenario will a change in gun laws address the current situation in Chicago?

The whole city is not under siege. Obviously, Chicago powers that be have decided that tinkering around the edges of their failure to manage the city will placate the constituency that they barely serve.

Portions of Chicago's south-side has been a disaster for decades (the former Cabrini-Green housing project comes to mind). The only time Chicago government has addressed the south-side's issues in 50 years is when the amount of violence gets high enough to make a list or violence spills out of those neighborhoods to places where it "shouldn't happen here".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yage202 Click here to enlarge
    Under what delusional scenario will a change in gun laws address the current situation in Chicago?

The whole city is not under siege. Obviously, Chicago powers that be have decided that tinkering around the edges of their failure to manage the city will placate the constituency that they barely serve.

Portions of Chicago's south-side has been a disaster for decades (the former Cabrini-Green housing project comes to mind). The only time Chicago government has addressed the south-side's issues in 50 years is when the amount of violence gets high enough to make a list or violence spills out of those neighborhoods to places where it "shouldn't happen here".
    Maybe they should get at the root of the problem then...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem is with the "they".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I grew up around Chicago and lived in the city for awhile. Never felt "unsafe". It's all about the neighborhoods there. It's the same neighborhoods that have the problems there. Demolishing cabrini greens didn't do anything but spread the violence out into neighboring areas.

it really isn't rocket science, take away people's ability to defend themselves and take away the reason for someone not to attack/steal/or commit a crime against them.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what neighborhoods are safe?

Nothing can be done about the areas where the trash lives?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Demolishing cabrini greens didn't do anything
    Completely agree. At the time it seemed the powers that be thought razing buildings would lead to a better city. All those people went somewhere and were not moving away from their neighborhood. The "they" in this case would be the powers that be that failed to address their core problems form then until now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Completely agree. At the time it seemed the powers that be thought razing buildings would lead to a better city. All those people went somewhere and were not moving away from their neighborhood. The "they" in this case would be the powers that be that failed to address their core problems form then until now.

Rahm emmanuel is not a good mayor at all, he's doing nothing about the violence or homeless.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

Are you literally asking me what neighborhoods are safe? As far as within the city limits....

Pretty much anywhere downtown and north or east of downtown. South of north avenue and west of western get real bad quick. Still some nice areas on south side, but nothing like gold coast, Lincoln park, buck town, old town, Roscoe village, and those areas on the north.

Things can be done about where the poor live, and don't get me wrong it's not like a warzone really anywhere, but there are areas where if you're white or halfway successful looking, don't even stop your car. What needs to be done is taking away the reasons the poor commit crimes...they deal drugs and steal to get by or get what they want. Give someone a job and make them work for a roof over their head and it's amazing how they change. The "melting pot" really $#@!s things up. And liberal/social politics don't help. Funny how minorities always tend to vote for those who are responsible for doing nothing but keeping them "down". In a liberal nation it is incredibly hard for someone to escape poverty because the line between poverty and middle class is far away from each other.

Oh, and I refer to liberal politics at its worse in major cities like NYC and CHI even though it seems to be spreading beyond major metropolitan areas now.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Give someone a job and make them work for a roof over their head and it's amazing how they change.
    I work with a non profit JAG jobs for America's grads that catches kids as they are about to fail HS. What started to help 10-12 graders has evolved in 10 years to helping at the middle/junior high level. Most of these kids come from really bad situations and are trying to cope hence some.."they deal drugs and steal to get by or get what they want". I 'll add "sell their bodies" to the mix.

And liberal/social politics don't help.
    Here is usually where I get into trouble with threads. Whether liberal, conservative or otherwise labeled, politics just don't help.

Rahm emmanuel is not a good mayor at all, he's doing nothing about the violence or homeless.
    Agree with this 10,000%. One of my beliefs about Obama is he's was not an executive manager as elected, his management or lack thereof Rahm E is one of the reasons he was considered weak!

His stewardship of the city has failed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem with politics is both sides have turned into "listen to what we can do for you" Republicans have practiced their own beliefs, I mean hell GWB was almost as liberal as Obama the way he ran things, as was Clinton, amazes me how people to this day credit Clinton for success...success really? He managed to leave one of the fastest growing countries during one if the biggest technological booming eras in this country's history in a recession by the end of his second term...pathetic. Reagan, great politics economically, but didn't do much else, which is OK, that's why our we have presidential terms so the next guy can build on what was started by their predecessor, instead every president thinks we need to "rebuild" give me a break....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I work with a non profit JAG jobs for America's grads that catches kids as they are about to fail HS. What started to help 10-12 graders has evolved in 10 years to helping at the middle/junior high level. Most of these kids come from really bad situations and are trying to cope hence some.."they deal drugs and steal to get by or get what they want". I 'll add "sell their bodies" to the mix.

Here is usually where I get into trouble with threads. Whether liberal, conservative or otherwise labeled, politics just don't help.

Agree with this 10,000%. One of my beliefs about Obama is he's was not an executive manager as elected, his management or lack thereof Rahm E is one of the reasons he was considered weak!

His stewardship of the city has failed
    I'd rep ya if I could. Good point on politics too

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think Rahm is by FAR the worst (not sure how to stress this) mayor this city has had in a LONG time. He literally is not even a logical person - the things he says are an absolute joke.

Between this (guns/city crime stats/economy), the parking meter (not 100% him, but still), and the RedFlex speeding camera debacle? Hhow he is still in office is beyond me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chicago is core to my DNA of what a major urban city was all about. I love the city and the people in it!

It is very frustrating to talk to people only familiar with violence statistics and think that the city resembles a set on "Falling Skies" or the "Untouchables".

Those entrusted with keeping Chicago the "city that works" apparently don't know what to do. Works for some, not for others.

Rahm is a paper tiger with the same weakness Obama initially suffered. Performance not matching rhetoric leading to blame for failures.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Chicago is a normal city guys nothing really to be scared of, when I walk into my neighborhood I DON'T need a bullet proof vest or ak 47 assault rifle to protect me and my car. Simply walk, press lock button, be respectful and like every other city know a little kung fu.. lolz

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chicagoans aint even talking to each other.

http://www.wbez.org/news/education/u...lations-108159

If a governmental body can simply ignore the views of the people they claim to represent, the right to participate in governmental affairs is meaningless,” the letter states.
    pretty much says it al.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How many murders in Chicago are committed with legally owned firearms?

WHen are these idiots going to realize the animals shooting each other every day are using illegal firearms and conceal permits are only carried by law abiding citizens?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Chicagoans aint even talking to each other.

http://www.wbez.org/news/education/u...lations-108159

pretty much says it al.
    When government stops listening to the people isn't it peoples duty to remove said government? I believe that was justification for independence?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish things were different in NY... Before I left on this deployment I was all set on buying an AR-15, but now that they have this NY SAFE ACT crap, instead of what I wanted, I am left with this as an option:
    Click here to enlarge
    Looks like I need to move out of New "Draconian" York
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When government stops listening to the people isn't it peoples duty to remove said government? I believe that was justification for independence?
    Wise mentor once told me, a frustrated new engineer at the time, that it usually takes near death experiences for things to change. He has been right for thirty years and counting.

Apparently Chicagoans are not viewing what is going on in the south-side, as serious enough to change, yet.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    NY SAFE ACT
    Gratification denied or delayed?