Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Exhaust project

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Custom Exhaust project

Decided to do a custom exhaust as I can't find one I like the sound of. I was thinking of doing the Meisterscraft 1 & 2 (with resonators where secondary cats would be, instead of in the tail section like I currently have) which replaces the piping from Dps to stock muffler. I do not have the stock muffler and will be doing a muffler delete with this and will have to fab the pipe from section two to the tips.
    My current set up is fully ******* with muffler delete and dual vibrant resonators in the tail section. With the resonators being in the tail section of my current set up, I don't think that's helping with my rasp. I was seriously considering having four resonators. Two in the mid-pipes and two in the tail section. A member here also mentioned possibly resonated tips.
    For the tips, I was going to go with the burnt titanium. I'd prefer a slip-on but I'm having trouble finding any.
    I know the exhaust won't give me any more power, this is more just for sound and quality - my oem exhaust is just too cut up now. LOL
    Any opinions / advice appreciated and let me know if you agree with the placement of the resonators.

Meisterschaft 1 & 2:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-p-47721.html

Click here to enlarge

Vibrant #1792 Resonators in place of Secondary cats:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...fef028e5780ac3

Click here to enlarge

"ultra quite" Vibrant resonators #1141 in place of where mufflers where.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1033_1055

Click here to enlarge

Cyba Blue tips unless I can find a slip on in burnt Blue:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237510

Click here to enlarge

Currently placed resonators (Before I had any suspension work....looks so bare LOL!!)

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Motiv 750 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Got the "ultra Quite" resonators #1141 today:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Motiv 750 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Awesome! Post up a sound clip!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

If you do put resonators in, I've always wanted to put flanged/vbanded resonators or a test pipe rather than just welded on, where you could swap in cats for smog or otherwise.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 800+ Members Strong!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/112468002137607/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Sweet. I love how you've always got something going on and are willing to play around with different stuff. I'm planning on a custom exhaust setup my self but it's gonna be a little while the way things are looking.

Also, "you must spread rep..." I'll get you when I can Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sweet. I love how you've always got something going on and are willing to play around with different stuff. I'm planning on a custom exhaust setup my self but it's gonna be a little while the way things are looking.

Rep'd him for you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    If you do put resonators in, I've always wanted to put flanged/vbanded resonators or a test pipe rather than just welded on, where you could swap in cats for smog or otherwise.
    I think if you buy back in your primary cats you would pass sniff I am assuming....this is actually a great idea!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    I think if you buy back in your primary cats you would pass sniff I am assuming....this is actually a great idea!
    I have my midpipe cats sitting in the garage, I would sell them to you or someone for a very good deal wanting to jimmy rig some flanges on to them. Both mp cats have about 35k miles on them out of an 07. It wouldn't look pretty because the pipes would have strange bends in it due to the inlet/exit of the cats, but it would do the job. Unless you cut off the whole tapered part and made new ends that tapered down to the size of your midpipe exhaust. I've made several posts about this, and would be happy if someone finally made it. Worst case, its a couple flanges you make with a blank test pipe in it and you can make the cat part later, saves you from having to put in stock downpipes.

This way you could run cats while on the street, and take them out easily for dyno or track days.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I have my midpipe cats sitting in the garage, I would sell them to you or someone for a very good deal wanting to jimmy rig some flanges on to them. Both mp cats have about 35k miles on them out of an 07. It wouldn't look pretty because the pipes would have strange bends in it due to the inlet/exit of the cats, but it would do the job. Unless you cut off the whole tapered part and made new ends that tapered down to the size of your midpipe exhaust. I've made several posts about this, and would be happy if someone finally made it. Worst case, its a couple flanges you make with a blank test pipe in it and you can make the cat part later, saves you from having to put in stock downpipes.

This way you could run cats while on the street, and take them out easily for dyno or track days.
    would be easier just to wire in an actuated cutout before the cats, if that was your thing though?

unless you were running a fine line with noise regulations haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    would be easier just to wire in an actuated cutout before the cats, if that was your thing though?

unless you were running a fine line with noise regulations haha
    I dont think thats easier at all imo. Also more expensive
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I think I ask just going to keep my item exhaust with cats in...I can put OEM exhaust on in 45 mins...take the other off in about 30 mins. Easy job!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge

I appreciate that! What is "spreading rep?" Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

I dont think thats easier at all imo. Also more expensive
    you can get twin 2.5" cutout kits for as low as ~ $250?

weld that onto the end of a short cut-out pipe, wire into boost source (could probably easily rig up something in the cabin to do it)

it wouldn't come out much more expensive (if at all), and have more benefit (unless, again, you have noise restrictions).. if i'm thinking about it right haha

it's probably what i'll want to do in the end, though in a slightly more complex/half muffled setup like the akra 1m one.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

you can get twin 2.5" cutout kits for as low as ~ $250?

weld that onto the end of a short cut-out pipe, wire into boost source (could probably easily rig up something in the cabin to do it)

it wouldn't come out much more expensive (if at all), and have more benefit (unless, again, you have noise restrictions).. if i'm thinking about it right haha

it's probably what i'll want to do in the end, though in a slightly more complex/half muffled setup like the akra 1m one.
    Those e-cutouts are usually $#@!. I had one on my previous project car, leaked and eventually the electric motor took a $#@! with the dump wide open. Rolled around sounding like a diesel truck and smelled like raw exhaust. Click here to enlarge
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Those e-cutouts are usually $#@!. I had one on my previous project car, leaked and eventually the electric motor took a $#@! with the dump wide open. Rolled around sounding like a diesel truck and smelled like raw exhaust. Click here to enlarge
    yeah true the electronic ones suck pretty hard..

i guess boost/vac actuated ones are a touch more expensive?... basically just like an extra wastegate (or two) further down the exhaust haha
    Last edited by Flinchy; 06-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

yeah true the electronic ones suck pretty hard..

i guess boost/vac actuated ones are a touch more expensive?... basically just like an extra wastegate (or two) further down the exhaust haha
    Not sure on price, but ive heard that they all leak over time, and usually develop a rattle not unlike our superawesome N54 wastegates.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Cut outs suck in general from my experience. They work at 1st but over time have issues. Even the pure mechanical ones at least up here in the northeast end up rusting etc. They probably work well if you live in an area with no snow and not near the ocean. Which is very few states. Maybe the expensive cut outs work better and are less prone to failure? I kind of doubt it though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I think the problem with cutouts outside of their reliability is the fact that you lose your exhaust when running catless unless you do a complex dual route system that merges back into the main exhaust. Its either dump to atm or catless through your exhaust. It may be more convenient and the cutout is nifty and maybe even something I would do, but the novelty may wear off for me. I think the standard test pipe swap would be good enough and cheap enough that it wouldn't be really any more expensive if you already have your stock midpipes/cats.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Single exhaust, Single cutout.

/Thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dimisa also makes great exhaust tips in various sizes. I would give them a look too
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- for sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Cut outs suck in general from my experience. They work at 1st but over time have issues. Even the pure mechanical ones at least up here in the northeast end up rusting etc. They probably work well if you live in an area with no snow and not near the ocean. Which is very few states. Maybe the expensive cut outs work better and are less prone to failure? I kind of doubt it though...
    well some of them appear to be made from some pretty nice material, and cost a bomb

so yeah, maybe it's a bit expensive if you want it reliable haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Single exhaust, Single cutout.

/Thread
    can't argue with that...

except i want to route a pipe either side of the diff for quads

though i guess you could have a single 4" from the turbo/s back, then split it off at the diff.. hm!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

well some of them appear to be made from some pretty nice material, and cost a bomb

so yeah, maybe it's a bit expensive if you want it reliable haha

can't argue with that...

except i want to route a pipe either side of the diff for quads

though i guess you could have a single 4" from the turbo/s back, then split it off at the diff.. hm!
    Single huge cat?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Single huge cat?
    why not?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Here are the sound clips with pics, also posting pics for those who want to just see it.

sound clips:

pics:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1716 Post(s)

I'm curious does the pricing come out cheaper this way?
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast