Close

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: HPF BOV Kit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Points
    2,759.5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    HPF BOV Kit

    "BOV kit is designed to work with all of the FMIC kitsThe kit is plug-n-play and works with both the factory intake as well as our new intake manifold that will come with stage 2. This kit utilizes the new Synapse blow off valve that uses a dual chamber design that allows very light throttle changes to release pressure but still flows enough for high horsepower engines with the larger chamber. It also doesn't utilize diaphrams so it is much more durable and it is designed so that the pressure it holds back helps keep it closed. Each blow of valve is tested to 100psi. This particular blow off valve won the SEMA award."
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Points
    768.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Hpf has top notch product and customer service.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Any pictures of this that are not renderings?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,265
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Not a fan of the Synapse blow off valve.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    Not a fan of the Synapse blow off valve.
    Why?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,265
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well,

    If you read over honda-tech, they were having some issues with that particular BOV @ high boost. Winning an award at SEMA doesn't mean $#@!, because they don't test the products in the real world. They just give an award to products that just look good.

    I also don't like how HPF uses a welded blow off valve flange.

    It would have been cool if HPF made it the consumers choice what BOV they use. Its not too hard to change a flange. They could just leave that space open and then weld a flange on depending on what the consumer picked. Think about all the blow off valves out there: TiAl, SSQV, Raptor, RFL, etc. It would have been cool to spend the 5 extra minutes and weld the flange on for the particular BOV.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    Well,

    If you read over honda-tech, they were having some issues with that particular BOV @ high boost. Winning an award at SEMA doesn't mean $#@!, because they don't test the products in the real world. They just give an award to products that just look good.

    I also don't like how HPF uses a welded blow off valve flange.

    It would have been cool if HPF made it the consumers choice what BOV they use. Its not too hard to change a flange. They could just leave that space open and then weld a flange on depending on what the consumer picked. Think about all the blow off valves out there: TiAl, SSQV, Raptor, RFL, etc. It would have been cool to spend the 5 extra minutes and weld the flange on for the particular BOV.
    Hmm, that is weird. From what I have seen, everyone using it with it hooked up properly is loving it. I know it isn't exactly the same as being on a car, but I remember seeing a video of it under 50psi or so sitting in a tank of water. I believe a Tial and a SSQV were also in there. The Synapse was literally leak free, while the other two had bubbles escaping.

    Or maybe that was their waste-gate..... I don't really remember. Either way, I think it is a quality product, and is the one I plan on running if I ever get rid of the stock bypass valves.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Points
    2,759.5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Any pictures of this that are not renderings?
    No pics, these are just a sneak peek. According to HPF production is still a few months out
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    30
    Rep Points
    29.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The design of the synapse is the easily the best IMO

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    743
    Rep Points
    1,050.8
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I am curious to know if they are going to make a complete CP and elbow setup that is tapped for bungs. I would like to be able to pickup this unit but will only do so if I can get it with dual bungs tapped at the elbow. Any HPF folks on the site yet Sticky to answers queries?

    EDIT: I am guessing it should since it is highly probably that one of their planned higher N54 stages will have a meth system.
    Last edited by Irishace; 09-04-2010 at 03:23 AM.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,093
    Rep Points
    31,291.0
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    313


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Any HPF folks on the site yet Sticky to answers queries?
    Chris@HPF is here as a guest. They not a vendor... yet Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    19
    Rep Points
    13.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    I am curious to know if they are going to make a complete CP and elbow setup that is tapped for bungs. I would like to be able to pickup this unit but will only do so if I can get it with dual bungs tapped at the elbow. Any HPF folks on the site yet Sticky to answers queries?

    EDIT: I am guessing it should since it is highly probably that one of their planned higher N54 stages will have a meth system.
    No meth bungs are in the BOV kit, HPF is placing them in the intake manifold to be used with their stage kits they are also developing.
    Click here to enlarge
    2010 135i coupe | Powered by Burger Tuning and Horsepower Freaks
    horsepowerfreaks.com
    MusicarNW.com

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    743
    Rep Points
    1,050.8
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks for the clarification Mineo, appreciate it.
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    | Stock for Now |

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    262
    Rep Points
    161.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Like unfor,
    I've heard that the Synapse may not be able to handle higher boost apps. I believe they are located near me, so I may be able find out more. I've been leaning towards the 50mm Tial BOV.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    Like unfor,
    I've heard that the Synapse may not be able to handle higher boost apps. I believe they are located near me, so I may be able find out more. I've been leaning towards the 50mm Tial BOV.
    To be higher it has to be relative to something. When you say higher boost do you mean 80psi on a diesel? Where do you hear that? If there are problems with them I would like to know because I was planning on purchasing a Synapse Synchronic in the future. Not saying you are lying, just curious.

    The Tial would be a good choice as well, just requires a bit more tweaking and could cause slight compressor surge if not setup correctly.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,265
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Slicktop,
    Theres been pretty uniform problems throughout message boards regarding that particular BOV.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    Slicktop,
    Theres been pretty uniform problems throughout message boards regarding that particular BOV.
    Can you provide links? The only problems I have been finding are people with MAF systems complaining that they are getting bad A/F and throttle surging at light throttle, because the Synchronic responds well in a light vacuum, staying open just how a Tial would with a light spring, and they aren't recirculating.........

    Doesn't sound like the BOV's fault to me.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,265
    Rep Points
    552.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I can do that later, too lazy now.
    But there was pretty apparent issues with that Unit. Even on the synapse message board, they were working on correcting the design. However, teh updated design has not been released yet.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
    Posts
    3,053
    Rep Points
    1,236.6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by unfor Click here to enlarge
    I can do that later, too lazy now.
    But there was pretty apparent issues with that Unit. Even on the synapse message board, they were working on correcting the design. However, teh updated design has not been released yet.
    They are working on a redesigned Anti-Stall kit for MAF cars, but the BOV itself seems to be a very solid, fast acting, no surge performer. The only change they are making to the BOV itself with the update (besides the bolts and port threads) is having the "C port" internally ported, instead of having a nipple on the outside for it. It was made for cars that needed to open on a pressure change pre/post intercooler, but they said that less than 1% use it, so they are eliminating it but leaving the other version for sale for those 1% that use it.

    Never knew this, but it has a 17 millisecond response time, pretty damn quick. It does not have any springs to change or plastic parts to wear out, and it uses boost to seat itself, so the more you run the harder it seals. It also is internally lubed and does not ever need to be re-lubricated.

    This BOV also has up to a 250psi WORKING pressure, pretty amazing, and it can be used realistically for 70+psi compound turbocharged setups.
    Last edited by fundahl; 09-07-2010 at 11:39 AM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    262
    Rep Points
    161.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I've been busy too. I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow hopefully and get some more information on it. Hopefully I can actually reach them (Synapse). I like it too for the same reasons you mentioned Slicktop. You are right also, I'm not sure what kind of boost it becomes limited too (if at all...). Just trying to pass on what I've heard someone say that actually sells and builds both units into their chargepipes.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Downey, Ca
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Points
    2,759.5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    I've been busy too. I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow hopefully and get some more information on it. Hopefully I can actually reach them (Synapse). I like it too for the same reasons you mentioned Slicktop. You are right also, I'm not sure what kind of boost it becomes limited too (if at all...). Just trying to pass on what I've heard someone say that actually sells and builds both units into their chargepipes.
    Any Info?
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    14
    Rep Points
    3.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    interested as well

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    262
    Rep Points
    161.8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I talked with the guys at Synapse earlier today. They believe that their BOV should work very well (just as well as the others) for boost in the low 20psi applications. I'm going to go with it it for no other good reason than being able to change it if I'm unsatisfied. Give them a call if you want to hear the details, I don't want to get carpel tunnel from posting my reasoning. Suffice it to say, I will post if it does not work as billed and switch to another setup without whimpering

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •