Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why choose JB4 or Cobb over Procede

benzy89 is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

I still don't understand the benefit to "on the fly" map switching?? I've never had the need or desire to instantly switch maps & in all hoensty, how many people with the JB4 have switched on the fly?

Regardless which way you go, eventually you're going to need a flash to adjust fueling, timing advance & VANOS tables. Without a doubt, the COBB AP is the most convenient, user friendly & sensible flash solution (allowing for multiple maps to be stored on the AP & easily flash/code read/code clear) available for the N54.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    420 WHP on 93 Octane | 460 WHP on E85
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Not really talking about "on-the-fly" ... just to be able to change maps a bit quicker than with Cobb AP. It's a stupid thing anyway for me, because I'm using Stage 1 Aggressive with no other mods. Guess I just want to have a new toy!
    2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 ST Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | BMS Thermostat | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
    1975 US Army (Retired)

munters is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 6 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by munters is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still don't understand the benefit to "on the fly" map switching?? I've never had the need or desire to instantly switch maps & in all hoensty, how many people with the JB4 have switched on the fly?

Regardless which way you go, eventually you're going to need a flash to adjust fueling, timing advance & VANOS tables. Without a doubt, the COBB AP is the most convenient, user friendly & sensible flash solution (allowing for multiple maps to be stored on the AP & easily flash/code read/code clear) available for the N54.
    I only use map switching to turn off meth nowadays.

Other things you might want a piggyback for:
    - meth integration (yes it is safer)
    - launch control/traction control
    - 2-step rev limiter (you can get this without a piggy)
    - overriding your gauges
    - flex fuel sensor (I know it's only on the procede and no one needs it, but I like the idea)

Flash tuning seems to be the way of the future. I've got high hopes for RombinHood to provide some flash tuning competition to move the platform forward. (and I don't mind paying a little bit for his hard work Click here to enlarge)
    6466 FFTEC Twin scroll 355i | Evo IX | Beat up 240sx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Vishnu see's a limited future for piggybacks. JB4/Procede offer a bunch of useful features for upgraded turbo's and meth, but a solid flash tune is the best starting point IMHO. I might take my JB4 out and move over to open source when it becomes available. Never felt the power has come on 100% smoothly with my ISO unit. Just want to see a few numbers and logs when the OTS OS maps are released. I'm pretty optimistic though.

Does anyone know if BMS is going to support the Open Source platform? It would be cool if there was a way to upload their flash without buying a Cobb.I still like the idea of direct boost control over load based biasing. Maybe if there was a way just to control boost through the JB4 and have the flash do everything else, i'd be a happy camper. Is that possible?

lulz_m3 is offline Full Throttle

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

For those that are putting stock in the future of the open source project, not trying to be a pessimist, but i wouldn't hold your breath. At best, the open source will reveal the locations of tables - but that's only a very small part of the global picture. Things like on the fly map changes, load scaling for larger turbos that support of 2.5 bar etc will probably take years, if not EVER to become available.

In terms of reality, the open source will hopefully create a more practical solution for piggy back users, that is more cost effective than buying a Cobb. Unless your blind and think Shiv is really trying to support the community in his efforts... He sees the future in terms of an at home flashing solution that doesn't involve Cobb.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Rent my BT cable, Click Here
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't want my question to get lost in the Shiv hate. Lol. Can you control boost independently with JB4 and have a flash tune do everything else?

lulz_m3 is offline Full Throttle

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SingDonald Click here to enlarge
    I don't want my question to get lost in the Shiv hate. Lol. Can you control boost independently with JB4 and have a flash tune do everything else?
    The short answer is Yes. The issue comes in terms of getting the JB4 and flash tune to work together, its a long discussion.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Rent my BT cable, Click Here
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks. I guess i'll email Terry when the time comes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Great Thread. Just signed into the site and this is the first thing I came across.
    I'm currently running Dinan stage 1 software but have been looking at all of these options for future, including Dinan stage 3...
    Glad to see all the different opinions without the petty drama. Glad I found this place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Robertthomas456 Click here to enlarge
    Great Thread. Just signed into the site and this is the first thing I came across.
    I'm currently running Dinan stage 1 software but have been looking at all of these options for future, including Dinan stage 3...
    Glad to see all the different opinions without the petty drama. Glad I found this place.
    I'd say maybe 2-3x per month we get JB4 customers who run it on top of the Dinan flash tuning. Works pretty well now with the JB4 G5 ISO. When/if you get bored some day and decide to throw a JB4 in the mix just drop me a note for how to enter the settings. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CaptainInsano Click here to enlarge
    I only use map switching to turn off meth nowadays.

Other things you might want a piggyback for:
    - meth integration (yes it is safer)
    - launch control/traction control
    - 2-step rev limiter (you can get this without a piggy)
    - overriding your gauges
    - flex fuel sensor (I know it's only on the procede and no one needs it, but I like the idea)

Flash tuning seems to be the way of the future. I've got high hopes for RombinHood to provide some flash tuning competition to move the platform forward. (and I don't mind paying a little bit for his hard work Click here to enlarge)
    Repped, well outlined. I might add ease of tuning with boost targets instead of load, and change flex fuel sensor to simply ease of integration with e85, for both camps. Flex fuel sensor may not be needed but hey if you have the cash it's one more toy and a good diagnostic tool. Glad someone understands that difference.

A few more days and hopefully much of the debate will be put to rest. I think that one thing that will come out of it with shiv so close to the project, is clear reasons to stack. Whether or not they are "needed" items or not, I have a feeling he's not going to undercut his own bread and butter. This translates well for jb4 users as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Terry.
    I just got the Dinan Stage 3 software installed and remembered this post.
    What can the JB4 G5 ISO get me in terms of performance?
    Does this fix the throttle lag issues as well?
    Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Well your best bet is to remove the Dinan software and run a JB4 with our free back end flash. But if you are stuck with Dinan you can use the JB4 on top of it along with map 2 to start. Similar torque but much better top end power. And all the JB4 features.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123