Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why choose JB4 or Cobb over Procede

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Why choose JB4 or Cobb over Procede

This should be fun for you guys. I am trying to convince my buddy who just bought a 335i NOT to buy a procede.

Can we make a list of reasons why a JB4 or Cobb or JB4 + Cobb are better solutions? I have searched a bit and found some reasons but not one large list which is accurate and up to date.

Other than features of the 3 tune options available I know Shiv used a fake fuel bladder with the subi guys and his original procede was just a haltech with a lil bit of custom code and his markup and name on the product. Also, he lied about using the meth for fueling on the ST and his LPFP upgrade is 3x over priced. Is there more?

Thanks guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)

If he needs convincing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Too many reasons... Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Procede sucks lol its a dead end , no support, no development.
    07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina B3 Flash

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Because RACECAR
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Above all, because no support.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Resale value is another reason. Have you seen what you can get Rev 3s for? I had a guy trying to sell me his Rev 3 for $300 and he was going to throw in a sport steering wheel. Those things are trash now.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)

Some guys do just dump them in the trash...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some guys do just dump them in the trash...
    I saw that thread Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Not getting into any of the tuner politics BS but I will say the two biggest issues with the PROcede is:

-The hit or miss(unless you put it on blast on e90) support
    - It's complete inability to fuel. I've seen where some FBO guys can't run more than 14psi-15psi on 93 without meth. O2 sensor biasing is just not a real fueling solution and we, as a community, have moved from that. In fact, as far as tuning goes, everything the PROcede uses(except isolated boost control) can be and is done better through DME flashing.

MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)

Convince him to get the procede and then just laugh at him later. Click here to enlarge

Seriously if more people don't start buying those things we may lose Shiv forever and honestly the forums are pretty dull without him.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Convince him to get the procede and then just laugh at him later. Click here to enlarge

Seriously if more people don't start buying those things we may lose Shiv forever and honestly the forums are pretty dull without him.
    Agreed, less bickering between vendors/members has made both forums kinda boring.

How's your transmission holding up? Decide what you want to do to it in preparation for Stage 3 or are you just going to throw the Stage 3 in the MT 335?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Agreed, less bickering between vendors/members has made both forums kinda boring.
    The atmosphere is the friendliest it's been in a while and the forums feels more focused and productive. We don't need pointless drama for entertainment we're bigger boys than that I hope.

Anyway, it's nice to just get back to enjoying car talk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge

How's your transmission holding up? Decide what you want to do to it in preparation for Stage 3 or are you just going to throw the Stage 3 in the MT 335?
    Not much has happened with my setup. The core engine is at LTBMW but they still have not had time to take it apart yet. I'm still running the OEM trans which now shifts fine at stock turbo power levels. At some point Tony will have those Stage3 turbos ready and I'll need to get to work on that stuff...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

vishnu hasnt provided a proper firmware update in months. which leads me to believe for the non flash guys its been abandoned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

No they are all out enjoying their cars I thought because it's so perfect? Actually rode in a proceed car the other day, it was just like I expected. Felt slow since I run E85 and he can't without some expensive mods, but ran just fine other than a minor miss (needed plugs?).

Reasons to not buy one are already stated:
    1) Price (for the box and for upgrades like meth/e85/DME flash)
    2) Support
    3) Resale

Reasons to buy one:
    1) To be unique?
    2) To keep forum drama alive?
    3) Because Shiv needs $$ for his vacation pics?

The JB4 does debatably everything the proceed does and (also debatably) more for cheaper with no vin lock. And plays nicely with Cobb, which is a true flash, without major effort. And will probably play nicely with the open source (if it's truly open source). And plays nicely with others on the forums, well the forums that matter. But it's not like evil or anything (or going to blow up the motor), although the marketing has been described as such.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Not much has happened with my setup. The core engine is at LTBMW but they still have not had time to take it apart yet. I'm still running the OEM trans which now shifts fine at stock turbo power levels. At some point Tony will have those Stage3 turbos ready and I'll need to get to work on that stuff...
    If you need a beta tester for Stage3 tuning via G5 ISO stuff sign me up Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Not getting into any of the tuner politics BS but I will say the two biggest issues with the PROcede is:

-The hit or miss(unless you put it on blast on e90) support
    - It's complete inability to fuel. I've seen where some FBO guys can't run more than 14psi-15psi on 93 without meth. O2 sensor biasing is just not a real fueling solution and we, as a community, have moved from that. In fact, as far as tuning goes, everything the PROcede uses(except isolated boost control) can be and is done better through DME flashing.
    Also add meth control, which the flashes can't do. I agree with most of the rest.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    The JB4 does debatably everything the proceed does and (also debatably) more for cheaper with no vin lock.
    Tue, but the Procede has fully user tunable 2Dmaps (fuel, ignition, boost) which Cobb has but not JB4.

In the end, the lack of support and inconsistent fueling I had in the end, caused me to buy a bunch of stuff from Terry (good support deserves my money!). I still have the Procede in my tool box just in case I need it (ST?). You can't sell it anymore.
    E92 - Enhanced by BMS, Cobb, Helix, Wavetrac, e85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    No they are all out enjoying their cars I thought because it's so perfect? Actually rode in a proceed car the other day, it was just like I expected. Felt slow since I run E85 and he can't without some expensive mods, but ran just fine other than a minor miss (needed plugs?).

Reasons to not buy one are already stated:
    1) Price (for the box and for upgrades like meth/e85/DME flash)
    2) Support
    3) Resale

Reasons to buy one:
    1) To be unique?
    2) To keep forum drama alive?
    3) Because Shiv needs $$ for his vacation pics?

The JB4 does debatably everything the proceed does and (also debatably) more for cheaper with no vin lock. And plays nicely with Cobb, which is a true flash, without major effort. And will probably play nicely with the open source (if it's truly open source). And plays nicely with others on the forums, well the forums that matter. But it's not like evil or anything (or going to blow up the motor), although the marketing has been described as such.
    but... but... j00 can advance CPS with the Procede!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    but... but... j00 can advance CPS with the Procede!
    You can with the JB4 too it's just not the proper way to mess with timing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Also add meth control, which the flashes can't do. I agree with most of the rest.
    True, you could also add NLS, two step and PROcede traction control. However, just IMO, those things are separate from the tuning side of things.

MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Oh crap, have to say something.
    Procede works very well if you know what you're doing and the fueling "issues" relate to knowing what you're doing. Truthfully not much need for any piggy if not running meth or not sensitive at part throttle. There are advantages relative to JB, but I understand the support is crucial for many though.

BTW: if anyone is interested in below for sale link and doesn't like Procede... consider it removed and meth rewired, tuned with Cobb only. No likey modded car people Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No tune is 100% perfect imo but at the end of the day, CUSTOMER SERVICE and product update is what a car owner should take into account the most.

Ask, search or google, BMS is in my mind the best of the bunch, Cobb is not far behind, I won't name the third one because when there are two good company for N54 plateform, why do you consider the third one?!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cause jb4 has a cooler name duh... But seriously though customer support for the jb4 is great and seems like its always updating and getting better. I haven't seen any thing new from procede is while
    E46 M3 Carbon Black on Cinn: bc racing coilovers; euro headers; tuned by brenton brown; afe filter; rogue el diablo muffler; mod bargains csl cf trunk; other cf csl bits and pieces...and a few other things

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast