Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Picture of my rear turbo. Whats going on here?

Need some help. Why do you think my turbos are leaking oil? Also, i get a ton of somke out of the tailpipe when the car is started and after i drive for a few miles, but it goes away when it warms up. I have no codes and after putting my stock downpipes on it doesnt smoke that much. Do you think this would be enough to get them replaced under warranty?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    09 135i. Auto. BMS intake. CPE catless downpipes. HPF intercooler. BMS ww meth kit. BMS JB4/G5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome to the leaky stock turbos club. Have you ever ran more than stock boost on your car?

This is a really common problem but I don't know if the warranty covers this, or if it is only good for waste gate related issues. How much oil does your engine consume?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how'd you get the close up shots? a boroscope? Click here to enlarge Ask around with your local peeps and find a reputable dealer and you should get them replaced
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ya i guess i have been boosting them too high. I run map3 with a 70add. I consume about 1qt every 1000 miles.
    09 135i. Auto. BMS intake. CPE catless downpipes. HPF intercooler. BMS ww meth kit. BMS JB4/G5.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any clear signs of shaft play? How's the other turbo look?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Lower the boost to stock and watch the oil consumption drop. Then buy Vargas Stage 1s (or 2s if you have a manual) with the alloy thrust bearings. If you just get stock turbos you are going to ruin them again. Same thing happened to me. I was using about 1 qt every 1800 miles when I bought the car. Bought a Cobb AP, downpipes and an intercooler. At the most I was using a quart every 250 miles.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well Im no turbo expert, but i tried to move the exhaust wheel back and forth and I didnt feel any play in the shaft. Also the front turbo looks great, no signs of defect. Well thanks for the replys. I am leaning towards a vargas turbo upgrade.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since your here in Texas, I hope to see of soon!
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I had the same exact symptoms you are describing. smoke at start up, 1qt every 1K miles, and turbo looked just like yours. Luckily they got replaced under waste gate warranty.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

my RBs had those exact same symptoms. blown seal in rear turbo. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    This is a really common problem but I don't know if the warranty covers this
    Why wouldn't the warranty cover it?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why wouldn't the warranty cover it?
    Because it is caused by people running more than factory boost. You are using the turbo in a manor inconsistent with its intended purpose. Usually when you make modifications to a product, most manufacturers are unwilling to honor warranties.

I was under the impression the warranty only covered waste gates, and it is common to have the whole turbo replaced because the problem can be play in the hole in the turbine housing for the waste gate. It seems it really depends on which dealer you go to though, and how they make a case to BMWNA.

I hope it is covered for the OPs sake, but it will likely just happen again given the OP is using the JB4. Granted not everyone with a tune has leaky turbos, but driving style plays a huge role. Not saying the OP can't drive, but people drive differently, and the OPs style might of be best for the life of the turbos. Thus the upgraded thrust parts in the Vargas upgrades seem like a good choice in this situation.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Because it is caused by people running more than factory boost. You are using the turbo in a manor inconsistent with its intended purpose. Usually when you make modifications to a product, most manufacturers are unwilling to honor warranties.
    I thought people experienced this even with stock cars?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought people experienced this even with stock cars?
    They do. Driving style plays a huge role in this but they will eveltually start to leak even stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    They do. Driving style plays a huge role in this but they will eveltually start to leak even stock.
    Then it should be replaced under warranty no problem I would think. Well, the problem of course being the dealer trying to get out of honoring it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Then it should be replaced under warranty no problem I would think. Well, the problem of course being the dealer trying to get out of honoring it.
    I agree. They do all the time. If he goes in stock, and explains the issue he should get it covered no problem. (Not using wastegate warranty as that won't cover this issue)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was unaware even people with stock cars are having leaking this bad. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with people running around saying it is "normal" for an N54 to consume oil. I know I had to add three quarts between 7500 mile oil change intervals when I got the car @ 55k mi.

I completely agree, if he can return the car to stock, a warranty claim might be worth it. I still think he would be better suited to use one of the alloy thrust upgraded turbos Vargas sells, but I guess it comes down to cost in the end.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some dealers are very cool. I took my car in stock for a service and looking for a little help on the rough idle. They replaced a bank of injectors, walnut blasted, and made the case to BMWNA for turbos because of the amount of oil they saw in the charge pipe. BMWNA said no and I didnt push it. At the time I had only ran the car 5K miles FBO and the blow by oil was the same amount modded vs. stock.

~Nate

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

These turbos are plagued with this issue. Its actually not just these turbos its an issue for many turbos. The piston ring on the turbine side that not oil keeps oil in, it also keeps exhaust out of the CHRA. With extra boost comes extra heat and on these a LOT of extra heat because of the back pressure. The piston ring loses its spring and before you know it oil is passing through it. What also contributes to this problem is axial play which is in and out as the thrust wears, this starts to wear the piston ring groove down and the oil starts to escape past the outside of the ring as well. There is a piston ring on the compressor side which can also lose oil, but in that case oil is sucked pasted it by the suction the compressor wheel produces pulling air into the housing. We have addressed all of these areas as well as have taken some proprietary measures dealing with oil control in our CHRA's. We tested some of these during our beta testing and found exactly the right combination to help keep the oiling to a minimum. There is a bad side, no matter what we do we are only slowing this process down. At these boost, heat, and back pressure levels these turbos last a long while but not forever. Using your brain and running reasonable consistent boost levels while daily driving and saving the higher boost levels for times when it is needed will help them last that much longer. If you find the right dealer they should take care of this for you. Just complain that your wastegates are rattling too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP, did you get a burning oil smell in your car after driving then coming to a stop? I am seeing the smoking at start-up and higher oil consumption.