Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Magnetic Dimple's oil drain plug worth it?

Anybody have the Dimple magnetic drain plug on their car? Is it even worth it? I just want to do everything possible on preventive care... Your thought? Click here to enlarge
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Can't hurt but it isn't needed. Just a waste of $$$.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

I run one http://www.goldplug.com/

Its not "needed," but it can provide an early indication of failure, and prevents whatever has been caught from circulating through the system.

Cheap insurance.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I would say it can't hurt.

When I rebuilt my differential and installed the Wavetrac. I stuck a 1/2 x 1/2" cylindrical neodymium magnet on the end of the fill plug. When I checked the fluid after a couple thousand miles I did notice some metal accumulated on the magnet. I also noticed the fluid was still very clean looking. The magnetic had not moved.

My point is you could just buy a magnet and stick it to the end of your current plug. You would probably end up with a more powerful magnet for the same price. McMaster has a nice selection of high pull rare earth magnets. This is the one I bought. It was for another project, but I used it on the differential fill plug to catch bits of bearing and gear. It works great.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5862k28/

The magnet won't come off the steel plug unless you pull it off.

The commercially available magnetic drain plugs look to have very small magnets on them. Larger magnets have higher pull forces.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I run one http://www.goldplug.com/

Its not "needed," but it can provide an early indication of failure, and prevents whatever has been caught from circulating through the system.

Cheap insurance.
    And how much metal do you remove every oil change?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    And how much metal do you remove every oil change?
    I installed it last oil change, so not results yet. On past vehicles, there was always some fuzz and small fragments.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have always seen mags in auto tranny pans but never oil pans...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I most likely will end up getting one for my car. I don't see why Dimple brand is so much more expensive than Gold Plug brand....
    08 535i 6MT - JB4 G5 ISO - Luke performance flash - E40 & BMS 100% Meth - AR design catless DP - ETS 5" intercooler - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - ER chargepipe - HKS BOV - K-sport coilovers - UUC evo SSK - CDV deleted - ACS spoiler - Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I would say it can't hurt.

When I rebuilt my differential and installed the Wavetrac. I stuck a 1/2 x 1/2" cylindrical neodymium magnet on the end of the fill plug. When I checked the fluid after a couple thousand miles I did notice some metal accumulated on the magnet. I also noticed the fluid was still very clean looking. The magnetic had not moved.

My point is you could just buy a magnet and stick it to the end of your current plug. You would probably end up with a more powerful magnet for the same price. McMaster has a nice selection of high pull rare earth magnets. This is the one I bought. It was for another project, but I used it on the differential fill plug to catch bits of bearing and gear. It works great.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#5862k28/

The magnet won't come off the steel plug unless you pull it off.

The commercially available magnetic drain plugs look to have very small magnets on them. Larger magnets have higher pull forces.

Same size magnet for the oil plug?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    Same size magnet for the oil plug?
    I think the engine oil drain plug is M12x1.5. 12mm = 0.47 inches, so it seems 1/2" is too big. P/N 5862K55 is 3/8" around and 1/4" long. That would work. It's less than 6 bucks.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I think the engine oil drain plug is M12x1.5. 12mm = 0.47 inches, so it seems 1/2" is too big. P/N 5862K55 is 3/8" around and 1/4" long. That would work. It's less than 6 bucks.
    You're pretty positive that it won't come off the drain plug right? Last thing I need is the magnet travel to the piston & rod....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hkninja Click here to enlarge
    You're pretty positive that it won't come off the drain plug right? Last thing I need is the magnet travel to the piston & rod....
    I wouldn't bet my life on it, but maybe my motor. Once those rare earth magnets are stuck, they take considerable force to remove.

Now consider the forces present on the magnet inside the oil pan. Maybe you have some oil rushing by and some force transferred from bumps in the road, but I would think unless you take the car off a jump, it should stay put.

Like I said the one I put on my differential fill plug didn't move at all.
    Eppur si muove.