Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Diverter valve won't lock

Hi,

I recently started upping boost for summer, noticed I could not boost over 14psi and my throttle lifts would cause 20 psi "releases". Checking under the hood I noticed the diverter valve closest to the throttle body was a little loose, it does not lock in place into the plastic tap that you turn to unlock it. I'm assuming this would cause over-boost on throttle lifts and under-boost as well as 99 waste-gate DC under full load @ 14psi. Can that little tab be replaced is there a seal that fell out? Click here to enlarge

thank you,
    me

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd replace the charge pipe entirely and put in either aftermarket diverter valves or a BOV
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    I'd replace the charge pipe entirely and put in either aftermarket diverter valves or a BOV
    +1 Your oem CP is just waiting to break where it connects to the TB anyways.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    +1 Your oem CP is just waiting to break where it connects to the TB anyways.
    When it breaks I will replace it.. there's no way to get that one to seal again?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    When it breaks I will replace it.. there's no way to get that one to seal again?

can you visually see why it won;t lock?

I assume you tried to remove it , turn it to lock position and then plug it in? you should hear it click.
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    can you visually see why it won;t lock?

I assume you tried to remove it , turn it to lock position and then plug it in? you should hear it click.
    I hear the click but can pull it up with ease in either position.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear the click but can pull it up with ease in either position.
    does the other DV do the same thing?

if not then plug it in the location that causes the trouble, if it also won't then you need a new CP. if not then you can run away with a new DV (50$ I think).
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by marv85 Click here to enlarge
    does the other DV do the same thing?

if not then plug it in the location that causes the trouble, if it also won't then you need a new CP. if not then you can run away with a new DV (50$ I think).
    I will try that when I get a chance. Hopefully just that DV and not the whole damn charge pipe. I will report back my findings either way. Thank you for the suggestion

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no problem. I always waited for parts to fail to get modded ones (they never did unfortunately Click here to enlarge)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DUCT TAPE
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    DUCT TAPE
    I thought it was ducktape Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Replaced chargepipe with ER's and still can't boost over 13 lbs? Could it be a diverter valve that's gone bad?
    Last edited by continue5; 07-03-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Absolutely. Make sure dv's are operating correctly, all vac tubes to/from/around have integrity, and go from there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I seem to have the impression that I would lose more boost if a DV was bad or get bad spool, it's weird because sometimes it will hit 15 but never hold, I see a max of 12-13 consistently and boost ramps up fast. Will do some logs when I get out of work right now but I'm pretty sure it's hardware related.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I seem to have the impression that I would lose more boost if a DV was bad or get bad spool, it's weird because sometimes it will hit 15 but never hold, I see a max of 12-13 consistently and boost ramps up fast. Will do some logs when I get out of work right now but I'm pretty sure it's hardware related.

What you're saying makes sense, and I could see how you'd think that. That said, it doesn't take much to see a difference in boost. I have a log comparing normal operation with having 1 vac line broken off a dv. Boost was so far off target on the broken vac line log that it wasn't even funny. Actually based on that I'd look pretty close at connections, just slight leaks will kill you. If it were me I'd perform basic housekeeping/maintenance, tighten/clean/adjust overall go through stuff.

IMO determining root cause for this stuff is always nice, but not always a reasonable expectation. Sometimes you need the shotgun approach for minor issues and hope you capture it when you go over things, and tighten all your clamps, secure vac lines, etc. If that doesn't work then you start looking harder/more specific. After a while you'll learn what your car/tune/driving style behaves like when you have certain problems. I was on a trip with the girl, got on the car, boost fell on its face ~5psi, got p30ff, I told the girl "feels like I lost the f&$%ing vac line on one of my dv's", pulled into a rest stop and sure enough, that's what it was. Trimmed line, stuck it back on, reset codes and back to normal. The first time that happened I was researching online, going over whole car, etc. Took me hours lol.