Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

N54 Boost Solenoid/Pressure Converter

This was a part of my other thread about a misfire issue but since it was impossible for me to find any info on this I figured I'd post up what I found so now we can all know for sure.

The background: Had misfire issues, after replacing plugs, injector, and coil, eventually found a PES Tuning piggyback wired to the car. I removed it but couldn't figure out what to do with the 2 vacuum lines that were tapped from the boost solenoid to the PES box. I ordered 2 new ones and here's what I found.

Here's the new solenoid with the 2 nipples and the hood covering the 3rd nipple that was used to run lines to the PES
    Click here to enlarge

Here it is with the cover off. Had no idea a) there was a cover to the piece at all and b) there would be a diaphragm under there.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Here's a couple extra pics I snapped
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

So in order to install the PES box you had to break that diaphragm piece and the cover off and expose the vacuum nipple under it. I'm not sure if you can put that stuff back on once its removed and I'm not about to break my new ones to try and find out. If anyone else is ever looking for info on a PES uninstall here you go. Buy 2 new pressure converters.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Hmm with the vacuum line back off though the solenoid should work as normal? I think the cover is just a vent.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

that's what i thought. however, with the lines completely off there was a loud hum coming from the solenoids. boost control was a little wacky...not smooth at all. That cover may just be a vent but sitting under the filter/housing the flow is regulated/restricted. not sure if there's a spring under there or something to mechanically regulate the relief/pressure release/whatever else it could be. with that line open to atmosphere, it is constantly trying to equalize pressure and i'd imagine that has some effect on the ability of the wastegate to function as it is being commanded. at the very least it serves as a filter to keep debris out of the vacuum system. unless you can rig up something to let that thing breathe and keep dirt out, i don't really see a solution other than buying new solenoids.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I haven't taken it apart like that as you have so I can only speculate. But technically speaking I can't think of any use for that port other than a vacuum bleed. By connecting a vacuum line there they were limiting the bleed (e.g. increasing duty cycle), but perhaps doing that also damages the solenoid over time, etc. Anyway if new solenoids fixed it all is well that ends well. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

yeah i can't think of really anything that it would be used for other than that which is why i left them open instead of capping them. it is very likely that they just went bad. they went bad, the PES went bad, everything went bad...all i know is some combination of this stuff was making my car act like a tard. PES delete + new solenoids = Click here to enlarge

those extra nipples (i man giggle every time i type that) do draw a vacuum though so i would imagine leaving them totally open wouldn't be so good for dirt and other shenanigans to get in there and mess up the solenoids.
    COME AT ME BRO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I haven't taken it apart like that as you have so I can only speculate. But technically speaking I can't think of any use for that port other than a vacuum bleed. By connecting a vacuum line there they were limiting the bleed (e.g. increasing duty cycle), but perhaps doing that also damages the solenoid over time, etc. Anyway if new solenoids fixed it all is well that ends well. Click here to enlarge
    This^^^

For OEM operation, we all know the DME uses vacuum to pull the WG's shut. However, once this electric solenoid closes, the built up vacuum would have no where to go without a vent to allow atmospheric pressure in. There needs to be a vent to break the vacuum and allow the WG actuator to return to its fully extended position.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

On my to-do list is to figure out if we can just place one of these solenoids between a single turbo wastegate & pressure line to bleed off pressure for boost regulation.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

On my to-do list is to figure out if we can just place one of these solenoids between a single turbo wastegate & pressure line to bleed off pressure for boost regulation.
    Can't we wire in the AEM Boost solenoid to where the stock one was? Then use the boost port that is typically located on the turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Terry, are you thinking to use solenoids for boost controlled wastgates? If yes, i am thinking, that it is somehow possible at n54 architect to maintane boost by boost actuated wastagtes controlled by solenoids. In this case solenoids and actuators should be connected in the opposite way. What we will lose with boost actuated turbos: LIMP HOME MODE, when the ECU turn off the vacuum and the wastgates therefore opened (by spring force).

I am developing my own upgraded turbo kits for my n54, very close to the finish. First I will use vacuum actuated Forge Actuators and solenoids, and when everything in place, and the car works fine, i will replace ny actuators with boost actuated actuators and setup a boost actuated wastgate...

Laszlo
    Laszlo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by csl335i Click here to enlarge
    Terry, are you thinking to use solenoids for boost controlled wastgates? If yes, i am thinking, that it is somehow possible at n54 architect to maintane boost by boost actuated wastagtes controlled by solenoids. In this case solenoids and actuators should be connected in the opposite way. What we will lose with boost actuated turbos: LIMP HOME MODE, when the ECU turn off the vacuum and the wastgates therefore opened (by spring force).

Pics please? interested in seeing some cool new designs.

I am developing my own upgraded turbo kits for my n54, very close to the finish. First I will use vacuum actuated Forge Actuators and solenoids, and when everything in place, and the car works fine, i will replace ny actuators with boost actuated actuators and setup a boost actuated wastgate...

Laszlo
    Laszlo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Laszlo
    Laszlo
    Thinking of using the factory solenoid controlled via the JB4 to run a traditional wastegate w/o having to purchase a different AEM solenoid.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Thinking of using the factory solenoid controlled via the JB4 to run a traditional wastegate w/o having to purchase a different AEM solenoid.
    Sounds good. What about LIMP HOME MODE?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

In my opinion, the vacuum actuated wastegates (againts spring force and exhaust pressure) as a solution is not as good as boost actuated wastgates, as we cannot have more than -0,7bar vacuum, which is less than the spring force+exhaust pressure. That is why n54 factory turbo's wastegates are out of order after a while.

It would be really cool to control traditional wastgates via n54 ECU + n54 solenoids.
    I will drop a schematics, how we should connect boost actuated stuff through solenoids.

Laszlo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

The JB4 handles all that.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

The DME also uses throttle closure to prevent boost in a limp situation. Even with my single turbo and external wastegate, my car will not build boost in limp mode.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mekong84 Click here to enlarge
    So in order to install the PES box you had to break that diaphragm piece and the cover off and expose the vacuum nipple under it. I'm not sure if you can put that stuff back on once its removed and I'm not about to break my new ones to try and find out. If anyone else is ever looking for info on a PES uninstall here you go. Buy 2 new pressure converters.
    I hope your the only person in the world running that POS stuff. I mean PES sorry I suck at typos.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Usually only happens if you had way too much at the bar and she doesn't put in the effort to disable it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I hope your the only person in the world running that POS stuff. I mean PES sorry I suck at typos.
    hahaha no no...I WAS the only person in the world running that POS. Then I found it...and immediately removed it. All this was just to get the car back to normal. Now I'm running a COBB tune waiting for the next cp-e sale for my front mount :-)
    COME AT ME BRO