Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Microsoft responds to Xbox One criticism, changes policies

So the windows empire isn't going to just bury its head in the sand it seems. Needed the internet connection to play offline is gone. Games can also be traded and sold. Too little too late? $400 versus $500 is still what will win IMO:

Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

• Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pure damage control after Sony killed them at E3. This goes to show if the public makes noise, corporations have to listen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lmao. Microsoft covering their asses hard. PC ftw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Seriously, PC FTW! $#@! consoles...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just because they turned Xbox ONE EIGHTY. Still not buying one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ya me either forget this thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Still no answer on backwards compatibility... Still not buying until they reduce the price... $500 is still a bitter pill to swallow... not that $400 is any better (PS4). I could use that money to pay for 1/3 of install costs for all the mods on the challenger. Or buy a tune for the Challenger... New Throttle Body, etc...
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Seriously, PC FTW! $#@! consoles...
    Said it once, have to say it again haha.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scorpion Click here to enlarge
    Said it once, have to say it again haha.
    http://www.germanboost.com/images/im...cYTowOnt-1.jpg
    Lol seriously. PC is and always will be better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Me personally, I $#@!ing hate playing games on a PC. I've already preordered and payer for an Xbox one but this new development is odd to me.

Now that a game can be played without internet connection it somehow means that NO game can be streamed over the cloud? How exactly does that $#@!ing work? It honestly sounds like Microsoft is now punishing the community because they voiced their opininions about not liking the DRM policy. I think MS should've kept it the way it was but let people play games without an internet connection.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know I think it's too late for MS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Me personally, I $#@!ing hate playing games on a PC. I've already preordered and payer for an Xbox one but this new development is odd to me.

Now that a game can be played without internet connection it somehow means that NO game can be streamed over the cloud? How exactly does that $#@!ing work? It honestly sounds like Microsoft is now punishing the community because they voiced their opininions about not liking the DRM policy. I think MS should've kept it the way it was but let people play games without an internet connection.
    Sounds like you were misled by those Microsoft statements. The whole point of the Internet connection requirement was to make sure you weren't playing a specific game illegally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like you were misled by those Microsoft statements. The whole point of the Internet connection requirement was to make sure you weren't playing a specific game illegally.
    My understanding of the point of playing from the cloud was that games would no longer be limited in size by the physical limits of a disc and it would allow players to play "their" games on any Xbox without having to carry them around. It was a really nifty concept and I liked it.

Based on what I've read MS was able to secure A LOT of their exclusive games in part by promising the publishers/developers a much stricter DRM policy to curb pirating and used game sales. Now that they've had to rescend the policy I get the feeling they hold animosity towards the community so they are removing some of the features that most casual users would overlook(so as not to affect sales) but the more hardcore would appreciate.

Either way, honestly I don't care. I'm getting an XBOX one(and PS4) because of the next gen GAMES. That's something that seems like a lot of people forgot what a game system is for, I have a TV for watching TV and a PC for the internet I want my console to play games on.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Xbone and ps4? Redundant?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My understanding of the point of playing from the cloud was that games would no longer be limited in size by the physical limits of a disc and it would allow players to play "their" games on any Xbox without having to carry them around. It was a really nifty concept and I liked it.

Based on what I've read MS was able to secure A LOT of their exclusive games in part by promising the publishers/developers a much stricter DRM policy to curb pirating and used game sales. Now that they've had to rescend the policy I get the feeling they hold animosity towards the community so they are removing some of the features that most casual users would overlook(so as not to affect sales) but the more hardcore would appreciate.

Either way, honestly I don't care. I'm getting an XBOX one(and PS4) because of the next gen GAMES. That's something that seems like a lot of people forgot what a game system is for, I have a TV for watching TV and a PC for the internet I want my console to play games on.
    That's not how it worked. You would still need to install the game by either downloading it from XBL or by installing the game from the purchased physical disc... not a live stream of content real-time from the cloud. That would be a logistical nightmare, especially considering the huge disparity in performance among available internet connections. I mean my "standard" cable internet is only 15mbit down, 1mbit up in NYC.

The main purpose of this 'required internet connection' is to protect themselves from pirates. But if history is any indication, the pirates will always win.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not really, there are exclusive titles only available to each console. Also, if it is like the current gen, the games that are not exclusive will perform better on one or the other. With that said, I will wait for PS4 pricing to drop before picking it up.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    That's not how it worked. You would still need to install the game by either downloading it from XBL or by installing the game from the purchased physical disc... not a live stream of content real-time from the cloud. That would be a logistical nightmare, especially considering the huge disparity in performance among available internet connections. I mean my "standard" cable internet is only 15mbit down, 1mbit up in NYC.

The main purpose of this 'required internet connection' is to protect themselves from pirates. But if history is any indication, the pirates will always win.
    You're right, at least for at launch. Look at where we were at the start of the 360s life and compare it to where we are now. The networks and hardware will be more than capable to handle that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My answer to your post is pc gaming master race.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

How is this new development odd ? Did you see the things they repealed ? As a gamer, you REALLY think having those continue would be a GOOD thing ?

MS already had plans of punishing the community because of their incessant greed. How can you speak of creating a console for gamers by gamers and restrict gamers to the levels they intended ? MS realized how much off the deep end they were going and how many millions of dollars they were going to lose, THAT'S why they turned this 180. The unrivaled applause at E3 for Sony after they revealed they weren't going to do all of the crap MS was happy to rape their owners with forced their hand. Anyone that believes for one split second they did that for the " gamers " are bonkers. I'd rather stick with the 360, PS3, and get the PS4. The seriously minor " exclusives " that i'd want to play for Xbox will either be timed releases where i'll be able to play on the PS4 or I simply won't play. I can't see the point of paying $500+ to still worry about my privacy being invaded due to the Kinect still be mandatory just to play a couple of video games.

Sidenote: I " liked " your post by accident. For clarification, I don't like or dislike your comment. I just meant to simply reply to your post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    Still no answer on backwards compatibility... Still not buying until they reduce the price... $500 is still a bitter pill to swallow... not that $400 is any better (PS4). I could use that money to pay for 1/3 of install costs for all the mods on the challenger. Or buy a tune for the Challenger... New Throttle Body, etc...
    They have answered that, it's not going to happen. Keep your 360 if you want to play those disc or digital games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some people REALLY like Halo and Forza while simultaneously having the same affection for Uncharted and Gran Turismo. Kinda makes you have to buy both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2092 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Halo is $#@!ing lame and ALWAYs has been.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SleepersOwn Click here to enlarge
    How is this new development odd ? Did you see the things they repealed ? As a gamer, you REALLY think having those continue would be a GOOD thing ?

MS already had plans of punishing the community because of their incessant greed. How can you speak of creating a console for gamers by gamers and restrict gamers to the levels they intended ? MS realized how much off the deep end they were going and how many millions of dollars they were going to lose, THAT'S why they turned this 180. The unrivaled applause at E3 for Sony after they revealed they weren't going to do all of the crap MS was happy to rape their owners with forced their hand. Anyone that believes for one split second they did that for the " gamers " are bonkers. I'd rather stick with the 360, PS3, and get the PS4. The seriously minor " exclusives " that i'd want to play for Xbox will either be timed releases where i'll be able to play on the PS4 or I simply won't play. I can't see the point of paying $500+ to still worry about my privacy being invaded due to the Kinect still be mandatory just to play a couple of video games.

Sidenote: I " liked " your post by accident. For clarification, I don't like or dislike your comment. I just meant to simply reply to your post.
    Honestly, I can see it from the point of view of developers as far as preventing piracy. It's not a popular POV but there's honestly no justification for pirating media other than just not wanting to pay for it. As far as reselling used games, that should be allowed. At that point you're selling a physical commodity that you payed for not, what I consider to be, equivalent to IP like piracy.

As far as the privacy aspect I don't like it but I honestly I don't see the "kinect" being the nefarious tool people are making it to be.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SleepersOwn Click here to enlarge
    They have answered that, it's not going to happen. Keep your 360 if you want to play those disc or digital games.
    I know that already...

I'm just hoping they really aren't that stupid and they reverse it as well... I know the capability is there, they have already discussed that you can download games on the Marketplace, but it makes no sense to re-purchase a game you already physically own... I paid $60 for a game, now your telling me I can play it on the new system but I have to pay $15 or $20 dollars for the digital version? What's the point of owning the original disc if all I can use it on is my 360? I realize they want to make money, but they would make more money if they reversed their stupid pricing, and non-backwards compatibility.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast