Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N54 Mobil 0w40 Thoughts

My car has 24,000 miles. For those that run this oil, can you give me some feedback? I currently use BMW"s Castrol 5w30 and want to switch to a different oil. I'm in South Florida, and we are about to go through another hot summer so 90*+ ambient temps are to be expected for this interval. I also hardly drive the car, 3-4k miles a year roughly.

Temps?
    Smoothness?
    Smoke/smell problems?

Thanks guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    My car has 24,000 miles. For those that run this oil, can you give me some feedback? I currently use BMW"s Castrol 5w30 and want to switch to a different oil. I'm in South Florida, and we are about to go through another hot summer so 90*+ ambient temps are to be expected for this interval. I also hardly drive the car, 3-4k miles a year roughly.

Temps?
    Smoothness?
    Smoke/smell problems?

Thanks guys.
    I switched from Castrol 5w30 and honestly can't tell a difference. Same operating temp, same smoothness, no smoke or smell problems except for those associated with being catless. I'm in Houston, TX, so it's pretty hot here too.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cobb sold me on some Motul 8100 5W-40 stating the benefits they've seen in the Texas heat. Personally I haven't seen any difference in temps. Not sure another oil will help but try it and see what happens, worse case at least Mobile 1 is easier to get ahold of.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    '08 with 53k, 28k of them tuned. I've only used OEM fluids & never had a problem with "spikey" oil temps, even with some prolonged spirited driving
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I swapped over to Mobil1 0w40 from factory Castrol 5w30 @ 30k miles. No changes except oil consumption which had been pretty much zero suddenly went to maybe 1/2 qt in 5k miles. It may be something else going on but it was rather noticeable. No burning or smoke, temps same. I am driving it harder though as I put in DP's and some other stuff. So maybe that was part of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I read through the RB Turbo "Issues" thread recently, and recall @dzenno@PTF noticing increased smoke/consumption when switching from 5w30 to 0w40, which subsided, but didn't cease, when switching back to 5w30.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    In my opinion, a 0W weight oil may be too thin for some cars leading to oil consumption. This was the case with my 3.0L Mazda 6. It never used any oil until I switched to 0w/20. This lead me also to switch back to 5w/30.

I had good luck with Amsoil European spec 5w/40 in my since departed 2009 535i.

The German Castrol the dealer uses is very good

Castrol Syntec, Valvoline and Mobil 1 are very good off the shelf oils.

Whatever oil you decide on, make sure it meets BMW LL (long life) requirements.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Mobil1 0W-40 is oil that I've tried throughout the years on many cars. I've done extensive and prolonged oil analysis over the course of several years. My conclusions are such that Mobil1 0W-40 is not a good oil for anything longer than 3000 mile oil drain interval. Reasons: it gets beaten down way too quickly, so it becomes more like 0W-30 too soon and it drops its TBN too quickly as well. Furthermore, Mobil1 0W-40 is NOT a pure Group 4 synthetic oil.

I would recommend Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 HST (not MST) if you can find it at a good price. It's pure Group 4, has an higher TBN than Mobil1 and it lasts longer.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

No comments on mobil 0w40 since I've never used it. But I've only used german castrol 0w30 with my car and it been great.
    11.76 @ 124 (123.9) full weight e92 335i, street tires, no meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks all for your opinions, I appreciate it. Looks like I won't go with Mobil.

@vasillalov, I think I may try the valvoline, it looks to be really good oil. Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    In my opinion, a 0W weight oil may be too thin for some cars leading to oil consumption. This was the case with my 3.0L Mazda 6. It never used any oil until I switched to 0w/20. This lead me also to switch back to 5w/30.

I had good luck with Amsoil European spec 5w/40 in my since departed 2009 535i.

The German Castrol the dealer uses is very good

Castrol Syntec, Valvoline and Mobil 1 are very good off the shelf oils.

Whatever oil you decide on, make sure it meets BMW LL (long life) requirements.
    I thought the Mobil1 0w40 met BMW LL? In any case I will probably switch back to something else for no other reason than to see if oil consumption goes down, to rule out any other issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Just because an oil meets LL-01 doesn't mean it will be appropriate for everyone in every condition. I think most people here are operating this engine outside of BMW's envisioned environment with more than double the amount of factory boost, and larger than factory turbos, etc. There are many good oils on the market that may even outperform an LL-01 oil but don't have the certification from BMW. It all depends on the situation. This is why used oil analysis is so important when you start to do things the manufacturer of the vehicle didn't design for.

FWIW, I saw increaed oil consumption with Mobil1 0w-40, but it wasn't really the oil's fault. If my turbos did not have excessive axial shaft play, I probably would have seen no difference.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    I thought the Mobil1 0w40 met BMW LL? In any case I will probably switch back to something else for no other reason than to see if oil consumption goes down, to rule out any other issues.

Yes it does meet the BMW LL-01 requirements. ...but as I said before, it gets beaten down too quickly compared to other oils that are also BMW LL-01 approved.

That's all I was trying to say.... Nothing more.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm pretty much sold on Motul 5w40 (either 8100 or 300v depending on track time).

I'm giving Shell Rotella 5w40 a try right now. May do an analysis. So far, I notice it comes up to temp quicker than the Motul, but I haven't had any temp issues (stop/go traffic, or track days at Summit Point).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I tried the Motul 8100 xcess, compared to 0w40 Mobile 1 it ran about 10* hotter temps. Not a fan.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Doyle Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty much sold on Motul 5w40 (either 8100 or 300v depending on track time).

I'm giving Shell Rotella 5w40 a try right now. May do an analysis. So far, I notice it comes up to temp quicker than the Motul, but I haven't had any temp issues (stop/go traffic, or track days at Summit Point).
    What is the consensus here on the 5w40 Rotella?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have been using Rotella for the last few years. I was going to M1 like water beforehand and saw a significant decrease in consumption after switching.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use Rotella T6 and also noticed decreased consumption. Though, as I said above, my turbos have excessive play. I also noticed hotter oil temps with the T6, but never above 110C (230F) once I am moving. This is the thermostat opening temperature. I would only notice hotter temps in the winter, when the oil temperature never really got to 230F. It was maybe 10F higher with T6 than with BMW synthetic or M1. Now that it is summer, I get to 230 and stay there, except in traffic.

I want to get an UOA done on the T6, but had such bad oil consumption using anything but Stage 0 I was adding oil so quickly an UOA would have been worthless. Now that I am back to Stage 0, I am adding a quart every 1500-1800 miles, which is similar to what was happening before. I have also used the BMW oil and Mobil 1. Hopefully after I get my replacement turbos, I will stop consuming oil and can get a real UOA on the T6.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The T6 Rotella 5w40 is big with the motorcycle crowd, been using it in my bikes for a year or so no problems. Is apparently fine for wet clutches which is unusual for a mainly automotive oil. I always wondered if that makes it not fine for turbo car motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    The T6 Rotella 5w40 is big with the motorcycle crowd, been using it in my bikes for a year or so no problems. Is apparently fine for wet clutches which is unusual for a mainly automotive oil. I always wondered if that makes it not fine for turbo car motors.
    Lots of turbo cars (other than BMWs) run T6. It is quite popular in that application.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeel Click here to enlarge
    No comments on mobil 0w40 since I've never used it. But I've only used german castrol 0w30 with my car and it been great.
    +1. I use german castrol 0w-30 as well and it has been great.
    2008 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Lots of turbo cars (other than BMWs) run T6. It is quite popular in that application.
    I will look into this then. Last time I did it was not LL-01 so I just forgot about it. Have several gallons lying around from a sale.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

after starting to use 5w-40 my engine stopped eating oil . on the castrol 0-30 it was using 1/2 liter per 5000 km.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Never used it on my N54, but also noticed a oil consumption in my 2006 330i E90. So even if it meets BMW std, I don't use it anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Mobil1 0W-40 is oil that I've tried throughout the years on many cars. I've done extensive and prolonged oil analysis over the course of several years. My conclusions are such that Mobil1 0W-40 is not a good oil for anything longer than 3000 mile oil drain interval. Reasons: it gets beaten down way too quickly, so it becomes more like 0W-30 too soon and it drops its TBN too quickly as well. Furthermore, Mobil1 0W-40 is NOT a pure Group 4 synthetic oil.

I would recommend Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 HST (not MST) if you can find it at a good price. It's pure Group 4, has an higher TBN than Mobil1 and it lasts longer.
    I remember a post from you pertaining to this some time ago, so I did a little research and concluded that your analysis may have been off. I think it had to do with starting versus measured TBN value. Higher TBN is NOT necessarily better, but keeping a high ratio relative to starting point is. I believe Mobile 1 starts with a lower value so comparing just the measurements between different oils would not be an accurate assessment. Anyway, I don't remember all the specifics. At the time I was considering a different oil, but decided to stick with Mobile 1 0-40.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast