Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

NOISE FROM IOL FILTER HOUSING AREA ?

posted on e90 no replies . this is pushing throttle down to 2000 rpm and releasing over and over you can hear the kind of metallic whine . any guess on what it could be ? dropped it at the dealer yesterday but I would prefer to not have any surprises ...

thanks guy's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No replies here either but let's get you some. Good job recording the soundo n the vid.

I hear it but don't know what is causing it. Would drive me crazy.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VANOS?

Nel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Here is a vid of a n52 doing the same thing, or at least it sounds like it. Someone commented on the vid that it was the ccV oil separator pipes.....

Maybe it has something to do with your oil ccv system? Let us know what the dealer says
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its a good place to start but if it was there should be some vacuum in the system .and there isn't in mine .this started a few weeks ago after a night at the track. no adverse effect as far as driving goes it just concerns the hell out of me .
    no call from dealer today so im going to call SA in the morning and see if they have even looked at it yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take a long screwdriver and hold the handle to your ear while touching the tip to various parts of the engine while a helper holds the rpms at a level that produces the sounds. Tr the alternator, vacuum pump, HPFP, etc.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    holy crap. My various engines have made some odd noises that have concerned me, but a nice high pitched metal on metal sound? Haha off the car goes.

@cwarren Is the noise further down the front of the engine? I wonder if it's something trivial like a pulley bearing thats gone.

Seems louder towards the back of your intake manifold. HPFP?

Is the noise coming out of your intake?

Once you figure out where the noise seems to be coming from, it makes it easier to diagnose what the issue is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    should also say that if I touch the oil cap the tone /pitch of the noise changes . I tried to se if it was resonating from some other location but it seems as though its right there . weird as hell just don't know of anything there that would produce the sound im hearing .I tore it down sat for the intake cleaning so I was in pretty deep and could not see any evidence of rubbing belt ect.. anyone think the thermostat could be messed up and make this sound ? 135hoser the only problem with pulley is the noise only rises to one level and stays there no matter how much gas you give it and is not present at idle.

thanks for all the brainstorming guy's !!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    thanks for all the brainstorming guy's !!
    And just to be clear, it was making this noise prior to you cleaning the valves?

Have you noticed any drivability issues?

I'd do like ajm8127 suggested, and listen with a screwdriver. Start touching parts of the block with it and see if you can track down the area the noise is coming from.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL YEP before the valve cleaning car was at 40,000 + so did it for maintenance . just fyi been running meth for say 2 years and 5 and 6 were the cleanest but helps none for the rest .....

no issues on drivability

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so almost hate to even post this in the light of looking stupid but here goes .dealer said it was from a damaged aftermarket oil filter. they said not sure how it was creating the noise and had never seen this before but they installed a new one and all is good .so here goes the rest I always buy factory filters from bmw and did so the last time .I have always bought the materials (filter,oil ) and then take it to jiffy lube across the street from my shop and have them change it . no waste to dispose of ect has always worked out well . so wtf happen ? and now I look like an idiot !
    but good news david @kuni charged me 75.00 sent me on my way with no major $#@! wrong with the car
    so me happy,happy,happy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good to see it was an easy fix. Looks like its time to dump that Jiffy Lube.

Did they say or we're they able to identify what type of aftermarket filter it was?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Cool you got it fixed. If you don't want to pay dealer prices, buy Mann filters. They are the OEM for the oil filter. The filter for the N54 (and other contemporary BMW engines it seems) is "Mann HU 816 X". However, getbmwparts.com has the filter for 10 bucks, so that is hard to beat.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff! I'm glad it wasn't something worse.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit