Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before and after results of an Evolve Automotive tune on a VF-Engineering VF570 supercharged E46 M3 - +35 wheel horsepower

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Before and after results of an Evolve Automotive tune on a VF-Engineering VF570 supercharged E46 M3 - +35 wheel horsepower

Evolve get a good amount of business from customers running forced induction kits from tuners that compete with them. The cool thing about Evolve is that does not bother them as they will still tune it for you unlike many other tuners and it does not matter what platform it is or if it happens to be one they directly compete in. Evolve simply will do a custom tune just as someone asks and that is how it should be as in reality the hardware and engine belong to the owner of said car, right?

In SAE correction on a dynojet the VF570 kit put down a respectable 450 wheel horsepower at 9 psi with Evosport headers and an exhaust system. The issue with many of these supercharger kits is that they are a one size fits all but not call motors are equal. Break in, fuel, how it is driven, elevation, etc., all affect it. Apparently the default VF tune which comes with the kit on this particular car was running a bit too rich.

How rich? Well, apparently quite a bit on the rich side as look at those gains through the curve. It would be nice to see the air/fuel graph not blocked out but that might open up a can of worms and create friction between the two companies. Regardless, the owner said he is happy and that he now understand why the fuel tank would empty so quickly with the VF tune. Nice work by [email]Sal@evolve .

Graph is below.

Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Evolve is putting in work, great job.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

That's extremely impressive... For the cost of a tune - the power Evolve extracted is no joke. It's crazy - if you look at the graph (around 7100 RPM) - the HP line has the same shape (see the little dips - they just move up) as before, just shifted up. That's cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AFR?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thats a pretty nice power curve and great increase on the upper end. can you share any detail on the improved gas mileage? for example, with a similar setup, my car gets about 200 miles on a full tank of 91 octane with spirited driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Artsoasis Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AFR?
    That's the real question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///CloudArch Click here to enlarge
    thats a pretty nice power curve and great increase on the upper end. can you share any detail on the improved gas mileage? for example, with a similar setup, my car gets about 200 miles on a full tank of 91 octane with spirited driving.
    The owner has to drive the car with the new tune to compare the miles per tank.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

love it. Nice work. I will probably go with an Evolve tune down the road on my VF540 E93.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The owner has to drive the car with the new tune to compare the miles per tank.
    Thanks for the insight Click here to enlarge I was hoping to have the owner of the tuned M3 chime in instead of triangulating through the moderator of this forum. In any case, I see the owner has posted a similar thread on a different forum so i will revert to that forum for direct follow up.
    Apex Arc-8 Wheels (F 18x9.5" ET22, R 18x10" ET25) | Hankook RS-3 (F 265/35/18, and R 275/35/18) | Dinan Front Strut Bar | AC Schnitzer Spoiler | AC Schnitzer Pedals and Brake Handle | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Gintani Stage 2 SC Kit (8 lbs) | Brembo Front BBK (355mm) | AutoSolutions Short Shifter (30% reduction kit) | ST Coilover Suspension | Fabspeed Sport Headers | Ground Control Front Camber Plates | Vis Racing CF GTR Hood

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Did they both maintain same psi? At least show a boost if not AFR. That's great gain for just a retune LOL.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///CloudArch Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the insight Click here to enlarge I was hoping to have the owner of the tuned M3 chime in instead of triangulating through the moderator of this forum. In any case, I see the owner has posted a similar thread on a different forum so i will revert to that forum for direct follow up.
    That guy isn't here so I'm not sure what to tell you good idea ask him there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Did they both maintain same psi? At least show a boost if not AFR. That's great gain for just a retune LOL.
    Good point on the boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From Evolve:
    Click here to enlarge

Please
    ignore the stoichometric running at low rpm. This is where the DME goes from
    closed to open loop and the AFR catches up. If we measure AFR closer to the
    headers it looks very different.
    The AFR also goes momentarily rich but
    again, this is just to do with catching up of the integrators.
    High rpm we
    run around 12.8 AFR and because we are running such low ignition targets (16-18
    degrees Maximum) the exhaust gas temperatures are nice and low. There is no need
    to run much more rich than this.

I am sure someone will say it's all too
    lean :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what makes evolve qualified to tune for other companies supercharger kits? wouldnt the company who developed the kit know how to tune it right the first time? Serious question not being a troll/smart a$$ I genuinely want to know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    what makes evolve qualified to tune for other companies supercharger kits? wouldnt the company who developed the kit know how to tune it right the first time? Serious question not being a troll/smart a$$ I genuinely want to know.
    Not VF LOL.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Not VF LOL.
    They may not have the best reputation but it seems like a fair amount of people are happy with their vf kit. Also what about ess evolve seems to have re tuned a few of their kits too?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

They may not have the best reputation but it seems like a fair amount of people are happy with their vf kit. Also what about ess evolve seems to have re tuned a few of their kits too?
    True, not all kits from VF have had problems. I'm not sure how many, if I recall LM had that done. I'm not sure though. I think he said it wasn't as smooth as it could have been etc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

what makes evolve qualified to tune for other companies supercharger kits?
    What makes someone putting hardware together qualified to tune? You may not know this but VF had some issues with their S54 setups.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

There's nothing wrong with their kit but that doesn't mean a tuner who knows the motor better can't get more out of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What makes someone putting hardware together qualified to tune? You may not know this but VF had some issues with their S54 setups.
    I was just asking a genuin question your, jimmies seem to be rustled. But to answer your question I just figured developing a kit is more than just hardware and a one size fits all type of tune. To me part of developing a kit would also knowing how to properly tune an engine to operate at full efficiency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)

Even within our own company the skills required to make hardware and skills required to do the calibration are two totally different skill sets.

Hardware is more dealing with bracket design, if the plenum can hold the boost, pipe routing.

Then you have the skill of understanding the smaller details in the design, pressure drop vs temperature control in intercoolers, intake design, equal distribution of air across cylinders etc etc.

To make a basic supercharger kit is not at all difficult. You just need to make sure the hardware can handle the boost and do a half decent job at cooling.

Tuning is a completely different ball game altogether. Once the hardware is understood the tuning follows. The tuning for some is the really hard part. Basic essentials such as incorrect fuel calibration and valve overlap with boosted setups is badly misunderstood.
    Too many cases of 'let the knock sensors sort the ignition out' and the '02 sensors sort the PT fuel out'.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1499 Post(s)

I was just asking a genuin question your, jimmies seem to be rustled. But to answer your question I just figured developing a kit is more than just hardware and a one size fits all type of tune. To me part of developing a kit would also knowing how to properly tune an engine to operate at full efficiency.
    I just answered it normally I think you misinterpreted my tone.

Some guys develop a kit and then try to get tuning later. VF does more hardware than tuning although they are improving in the tuning aspect now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just answered it normally I think you misinterpreted my tone.

Some guys develop a kit and then try to get tuning later. VF does more hardware than tuning although they are improving in the tuning aspect now.
    my mistake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    Even within our own company the skills required to make hardware and skills required to do the calibration are two totally different skill sets.

Hardware is more dealing with bracket design, if the plenum can hold the boost, pipe routing.

Then you have the skill of understanding the smaller details in the design, pressure drop vs temperature control in intercoolers, intake design, equal distribution of air across cylinders etc etc.

To make a basic supercharger kit is not at all difficult. You just need to make sure the hardware can handle the boost and do a half decent job at cooling.

Tuning is a completely different ball game altogether. Once the hardware is understood the tuning follows. The tuning for some is the really hard part. Basic essentials such as incorrect fuel calibration and valve overlap with boosted setups is badly misunderstood.
    Too many cases of 'let the knock sensors sort the ignition out' and the '02 sensors sort the PT fuel out'.
    Thanks this clears things up for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast