Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

USA m3 does or does not have brake regeneration/alternator disconnect

Not sure I have ever found the answer in all the years I reading about this car. Some say the USA m3's did not get brake regeneration (or whatever bmw calls it) where the alternator disconnects when accelerating and connects while braking to charge the system.

Also kind of related I sure noticed on this car the a/c does not seem to hinder performance at all. Yet it also does not seem to go warm when under WOT which cars I have had used to do which clearly showed me disengagement of the a/c under wot. Anyone know if this definetly disconnects the a/c pump during WOT?

If those things were true, I really wish bmw would have came up with a s65tu which had an electric water pump to shave pumping losses, direct injection and revised cam profiles. Would have gotten atleast 3-4 mph improvement, more power and could have stuck with the amazing NA v8. Really is too bad

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From what I understand it does disconnect on WOT acceleration as this was mentioned in the marketing materials. AC definitely.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2091 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Found it, this should answer your question:

New engine management and Brake Energy Regeneration.

Yet another new development is the electronic management of the V8 power unit integrating the clutch, gearbox, steering and brake functions tailored specifically to the requirements of a BMW M Car. And then, as a further highlight of engine management, ion flow technology serves to detect any tendency of the engine to knock as well as misfiring and mis-combustion.

Intelligent energy management featuring Brake Energy Regeneration enhances the efficiency of the power unit to an even higher standard: This new system generates electricity for the car’s on-board network only in overrun and while applying the brakes, with the alternator generally being disconnected
    as long as the engine is in traction, “pulling” the car.

Apart from particularly efficient generation of electric power, this process also helps to provide extra drive power when accelerating.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale