Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Dilemma: Selling the E93 for a 135i. MT/Auto?

Well im sort of fed up with my car, nothing seriously wrong with it but just want to change my car is heavy and i had just come to realization that i was modding the wrong car. I was looking into buying a 135i but cant make up my mind between an auto or a manual. the autos are of course faster. but manual more reliable in the higher horse power range. and with my history with my auto trans i kinda dont wanna go back but i do. lol
    help? or i might just sell my car and mods and drive the beater for a year and get a gtr haha
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

If you aren't tired of driving BMWs, then the 135i is a mighty fine and fun choice especially if you throw the same mods as you did with your E93.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

What are your goals? If you are looking for nimble and fast, low weight, cant go wrong with the 135.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

not bored at all with bmws just mine is just getting old and high mileage, my big question is auto or MT
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    MT dude. you already have RBs. you are already at the point where AT can't keep u if you dial up the boost the down low. I'd hate to be choked from the start. plus you had AT, time to change Click here to enlarge
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

6MT. Since you are going down the weight savings route, best to finish it out and get the MT. Get a lighter flywheel to compliment it and save maybe 5lbs rotating weight, lighter wheels and tires to save maybe 60lbs unsprung (and rotating) weight, maybe a lighter battery and now you're 800lbs lighter than the E93 in stock form. With the RB's that puts you into an exciting power/weight class.

Screw the ET's and second gear starts a car is about having fun and hoping things don't explode on you. The MT is superior at both imo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    GTR. Breath of fresh air

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

If you go manual, make sure you get a WOTbox/NLS, it transforms the driving experience.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If you can honestly afford a GTR after 1 year of no car/insurance payments then that is the smart decision. My guess is you couldn't.

I can't imagine what the insurance would be on one of those for a year...

Do you own a house yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    If you can honestly afford a GTR after 1 year of no car/insurance payments then that is the smart decision. My guess is you couldn't.

I can't imagine what the insurance would be on one of those for a year...

Do you own a house yet?
    Nope live with parents the e93 insurance is on a separate plan under my father and mothers insurance way cheaper that way lol but if I sell the BMW and all the mods I can put a huge down payment on a gtr in about a year and I would be able pick one up for 55-60k in a year from now. But probably won't mod it till is payed off.. Maybe Cobb downpipes and injectors lol fak!! I mean I guess I won't go crazy with like hybrid turbos for it. But that completely depends on business if I can afford it or not in a year from now.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I can tell you like speed. That's a great thing! But do yourself a favor, before you jump into something like bolt on gtr, grab the 135i, manual transmission, with rb's, and learn to autocross with something that powerful with rwd. Then when you get a gtr do it again. Cheapest and easiest way to learn how to drive imo (not saying you can't explicitly...). That should keep you breathing a bit longer. I see people everyday who jump into too much car/bike without experience. Most gtr drivers fall into that category, srt4 drivers, and certain sport bike riders. Just a suggestion :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

If you start stretching your budget to get a car, although it sounds like great fun and you have that, "i'm going to keep it forever tho" mentality, don't do it. Get a car that is below the 'max' you can buy and it will turn out much better for you.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    MT /endthread
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    MT /endthread
    This.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

If you want to have all the fun you can get out of an N54, not deal with auto tranny upgrades which have shown to only be failures so far, definitely go with a MT and a good solid clutch in whichever series you prefer. I'd say at this time I'd even go for a DCT N54 before I'd ever consider an automatic when going all out (not talking stock or hybrid stock frame turbos). Just my 2c
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

MT all the way. Don't get a gtr if u won't be able to afford mods, what is the fun in that? Plus, let's be honest, you really think you could keep it stock? You have your whole life to buy a gtr, buy a 135, mod it, pay it off and bank $.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

If you're primarily shopping 135's and can't decide what trans, get the MT. There's no upgrade for the 6AT crowd & clearly you've had your fill with 6AT failures & other associated headaches.

IF you want a car that's just gonna go fast, then wait it out & get the GTR -- Early models are going for high 50s. BUT have you also considered the E9x M3?? Personally that's what I'd be shopping -- For the same amount of money of the GTR, you'll prob be able to find a car & have some mod money left over. Plus, you get more options with body type (coupe/sedan), transmission (DCT or MT), all while staying in a car that has plenty of road usable power, a great sounding exhaust note & able to stay in a German refined sports car.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

If you want to drive it MT. If you are concerned about 1/4 mile times, auto. Also depends how far you want to mod it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If you want to drive it MT. If you are concerned about 1/4 mile times, auto. Also depends how far you want to mod it.
    i am concerned about 1/4 mile times but i might end up with VTT3 but might build the bottom end first. but autos will go boom LOL
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    i am concerned about 1/4 mile times but i might end up with VTT3 but might build the bottom end first. but autos will go boom LOL
    Just learn how to drive a MT. No lift $#@! and 2-step help too.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK