Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

FBO m3 makes the same hp as a dinan stroker

Any of you see on e90post that really great thread from EAS I think who tested a dinan stroker, rdsport stroker and a FBO dct m3 with catless and ess tune.

It also showed the dinan intake/elbow caused the temps in the intake to be hotter. Makes sense-bigger is not usually better when the velocity of air is important and in the intake elbow it is clearly better to have higher velocity air traveling through the smaller elbow than a larger elbow with slower velocity. Same with all the dinan throttle bodies which lose power on every car I have seen them on. Too big means less velocity.

ANyway a FBO made about 380whp and so did a dinan stroker. Dinan made 20hp or so more in the rev range until about 6k and then the FBO may have even made more and peaked higher.

You can intpret as Dinan being a huge waste or the OEM car with a few mods to be a work of art and super efficient and powerful. The RD made 20 more hp than either of the 2 throughout the range.

SO stroker from dinan is huge waste

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dinan has become a waste... So sad.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    agreed. They used to get away with the whole b.s about their dyno not reflecting true gain and in real world their gains were true. Well then real tuners came along and magically their mods showed up on dynoes. They had many fooled and continue to do so but there is not one single part that ever made advertised power and often lost power. The e39 M5 package way underperformed, the throttle bodies for every car. Their m3 "intake" now clearly is a poor design.

Only their xpipes do anything as does any xpipe that deletes cats! I think they have some good suspension packages but again way overpriced. Their wheels are ugly and no longer are the lightest ones around...by far. Essentially dinan is crap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Think it'd be better if you looked at the RD Sport vs Dinan vs M3 GTS Stroker comparison done by Alekshop on M3P. Basically showed that the $33k RD Sport Stroker (which includes the stroker build, headers & a full exhaust) was a better buy for performance, material quality & just basic "bang for buck" vs. the $36k Dinan Stroker.

The thing that stood out the most to me the most was that the RD Sport was not only better value, but also gave the customer some nice options -- Various stroke & bore sizes, various displacement (4.4-4.7) and pistons for stroker or stroker + SC applications. Meanwhile, the Dinan kit was more expensive & was basically a generic build.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    huh? The point is a bone stock 4 litre s65 engine with ess tune and no cat/xpipe made as much as the dinan car. So obviously the gts 4.4 litre would make more than the 4 litre s65 and thus also make more than dinan.

The point of the thread that was made and testing that was done is a simple bolt on m3 made as much power as a 4.6 litre stroker from dinan. And only made 15 less or so than the rdsport stroker. I know its not all about peak power but even throughout the reve range the difference was quite small given the size difference of the stroker.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wannbm5 Click here to enlarge
    Any of you see on e90post that really great thread from EAS I think who tested a dinan stroker, rdsport stroker and a FBO dct m3 with catless and ess tune.

It also showed the dinan intake/elbow caused the temps in the intake to be hotter. Makes sense-bigger is not usually better when the velocity of air is important and in the intake elbow it is clearly better to have higher velocity air traveling through the smaller elbow than a larger elbow with slower velocity. Same with all the dinan throttle bodies which lose power on every car I have seen them on. Too big means less velocity.

ANyway a FBO made about 380whp and so did a dinan stroker. Dinan made 20hp or so more in the rev range until about 6k and then the FBO may have even made more and peaked higher.

You can intpret as Dinan being a huge waste or the OEM car with a few mods to be a work of art and super efficient and powerful. The RD made 20 more hp than either of the 2 throughout the range.

SO stroker from dinan is huge waste
    I just want to point something out. The Dinan stroker is not a waste the peak torque is moved lower in the rev range. If you pair the Dinan Stroker with Schrick cams it will be amazing. I'm surprised Dinan doesn't see this themselves.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Meanwhile, the Dinan kit was more expensive & was basically a generic build
    This part is very true. The Dinan tune is weak, period. Additionally, it's just their S85 stroker components. Same rods, same pistons, same everything. Dinan is just milking people and not providing the performance one would expect. But oh oh oh oh warranty blah blah blah.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if you do a custom tune with schrick cams on a FBO 4.0litre m3 than it would make it close again. The comparison for what the dinan kit comes with. Obviously a stroker if further built has more potential. And shifting the peak power lower means nothing unless it is higher but its not even a higher peak.

Bottom line is yes it is a waste given the RDsport makes clearly more power and that is the stroker kit that is the one to get if you so desire. Fact a FBO makes as much power as an engine .6L larger says a lot to me how well designed the s65 is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if you do a custom tune with schrick cams on a FBO 4.0litre m3 than it would make it close again.
    No. Because the torque peak and curve is moved to the left with the stroker. So when you move it back to the right there are greater gains here and the stroker will see greater gains. Cam profile is very important in this regard.

Bottom line is yes it is a waste given the RDsport makes clearly more power and that is the stroker kit that is the one to get if you so desire. Fact a FBO makes as much power as an engine .6L larger says a lot to me how well designed the s65 is.
    Have you read this? http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...n-for-Stroking

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i remember at one point someone claimed stroker motors were faster than supercharged Ms. lol
    F10 M5 : ??????
    E90 M3: 11.2 126.7 with a 1.8 60ft Street Tires, Stock Interior,DSC on

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moving the curve to the left is irrelevent. You did not address my point which was with cams and a tune the stock m3 can pick up 30-40 hp. Probably as much as a dinan stroker would pick up. Yes cams on either would move the curve a bit right but its not relevent as its AUC that matters. Sure technically a stroker with a stellar tune and cams SHOULD clearly be able to pump out more hp but looks like not nearly as much as it should. M3 with cams-which is my next move. Just need to find out locally if ESS does it. I have ever other fbo mod and will add this next. Should be putting down 420 whp hopefully. The e46m3 with shcricks and proper tuning are putting down 40-50 more hp from 6-8k. So the e90 given its power curve clearly is still going strong all the way to 8400 means there is a lot of room to further open things up there. Change out the valve springs and get redline to 9k and have almost 600 rpms of nice power more than stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    by the way what is your poing with this link? First there is no FBO m3 even compared there. There is a tuned one without being catless. Plus there is no comparison of stroker vs the non stroked on the exact same dyno WITH data logs such as the one listed at e90post. That is the best test you can get as you can look at every data log and see timing etc plus its the same dyno.

So yes the dinan stroker is a huge waste of money

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    i remember at one point someone claimed stroker motors were faster than supercharged Ms. lol
    That was this retard named PG.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moving the curve to the left is irrelevent.
    Um, how so? Don't you see how the stock cam profile isn't set for a stroker motor which drops the torque peak to a lower rev range? What are you talking about?

You did not address my point which was with cams and a tune the stock m3 can pick up 30-40 hp. Probably as much as a dinan stroker would pick up.
    If you just want to look at peak HP sure. The strokers strength is in torque through the curve gained but since the curve is moved left if you want more hp which comes from torque multiplication you need a more aggressive profile.

Yes cams on either would move the curve a bit right but its not relevent as its AUC that matters. Sure technically a stroker with a stellar tune and cams SHOULD clearly be able to pump out more hp but looks like not nearly as much as it should.
    Do you have the results for a stroker with cams? What do you mean as much as it should? How much should it?

I have ever other fbo mod and will add this next. Should be putting down 420 whp hopefully.
    That's over 40 whp short of what I've seen a stroker motor put down without cams. See the difference?

So the e90 given its power curve clearly is still going strong all the way to 8400 means there is a lot of room to further open things up there. Change out the valve springs and get redline to 9k and have almost 600 rpms of nice power more than stock
    Yep and do so with another 600cc's and have even more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    by the way what is your poing with this link? First there is no FBO m3 even compared there. There is a tuned one without being catless. Plus there is no comparison of stroker vs the non stroked on the exact same dyno WITH data logs such as the one listed at e90post. That is the best test you can get as you can look at every data log and see timing etc plus its the same dyno.

So yes the dinan stroker is a huge waste of money
    It's a stroker comparison article I thought you could use some education on the topic.

The Dinan stroker might be a waste of money in your eyes but stroking the S65 with the proper mods will always make more power and torque than one with less displacement. It's not debateable for maximum naturally aspirated performance that is what you want.

Ever see an M3 with bolt on's match this? You won't. And there is a dyno of a stock car posted as well so not sure what else you need. Now imagine this motor with Schrick cams:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well of course a stroked engine is capable of more power but the ENTIRE point I make is the way dinan does it, their tune and package makes squat more than a fbo m3 which you know as well as I do the numbers are completely reasonable as there are countless 385 whp plus fbo m3 dyno's around. The point is nobody is planning to spend 25k on a dinan stroker only to have to do a bunch of other stuff to make it actualy have some power. So they would have take apart the engine again, install cam's, find someone to custom tune it and another 5-6k later than the dinan kit may work. I am not saying a stroker is a waste but dinan's package that you get from their shelf without further tuning by non-dinan people is a total waste. this should come absolutely ready to rock and roll and make big power just like the rdsport does. That is why I guess you almost never see a stroker from dinan around. People know better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well of course a stroked engine is capable of more power but the ENTIRE point I make is the way dinan does it, their tune and package makes squat more than a fbo m3 which you know as well as I do the numbers are completely reasonable as there are countless 385 whp plus fbo m3 dyno's around.
    If you read my article you would see that I mention this. Once again, for the stroker to show it's potential the cams need to be addressed.

The point is nobody is planning to spend 25k on a dinan stroker only to have to do a bunch of other stuff to make it actualy have some power. So they would have take apart the engine again, install cam's, find someone to custom tune it and another 5-6k later than the dinan kit may work. I am not saying a stroker is a waste but dinan's package that you get from their shelf without further tuning by non-dinan people is a total waste. this should come absolutely ready to rock and roll and make big power just like the rdsport does. That is why I guess you almost never see a stroker from dinan around. People know better
    You don't see that many strokers around because superchargers are cheaper and make more power. The Dinan stroker though is very nice just overpriced. You can build a stroked S65 these days for FAR less.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's important to remember, is that stroking is always going to be more expensive, and it is also like a door to more power. It will of course show gains in and of itself but it acts as a way to really facilitate power increases from proper headwork, cams, etc. But the point of the OP, I think, is that if you are shooting for ~375-385 whp, spending 35k on a Dinan stroker just for that is stupid. And it is. But, if your goal is ultimate performance, then yes you will need more displacement at some point. But, I sure as hell wouldn't use Dinan. VAC all the way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was happy that the article we are talking about here wasn't on this page - because it was the most ridiculous piece of "work" I have ever seen. The stroker KILLED the FBO M3 - if we aren't talking about peak horsepower. If you look at area under the curve (which is the only thing that matters) - are you sure you think that the FBO will beat the stroker still? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    FYI - That was called marketing bull$#@! by "Alekshop" tuning. Look at these curves - they actually claim the "Alekshop" is a better purchase than the Dinan stroker because it makes the same peak power? Which car do you think will win in a race?

See past the bull$#@! - especially when the article itself is written by "Alekshop" tuning.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do get the point on the price/dollar - but that article really bothered me. I personally think it was handicapped - but am not a fan of Dinan, so could care less.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    I was happy that the article we are talking about here wasn't on this page - because it was the most ridiculous piece of "work" I have ever seen. The stroker KILLED the FBO M3 - if we aren't talking about peak horsepower. If you look at area under the curve (which is the only thing that matters) - are you sure you think that the FBO will beat the stroker still? Click here to enlarge
    Peak figure obsession these days. Same type of crap that puts a FBO N54 as equal to an M3 somehow despite completely different driving characteristics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    FYI - That was called marketing bull$#@! by "Alekshop" tuning. Look at these curves - they actually claim the "Alekshop" is a better purchase than the Dinan stroker because it makes the same peak power? Which car do you think will win in a race?

See past the bull$#@! - especially when the article itself is written by "Alekshop" tuning.

Click here to enlarge
    There we go now I know what we are talking about. What the hell, I'll write an article tearing this to pieces.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think that for the $$$ that Dinan charges they should just throw in the cams.

Cheers.
    Warranties are for pussies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem isn't the physical components of the Dinan stroker, it's the tune. And like ALL of Dinan's tunes, it's probably overly conservative to ensure the build holds together
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast