Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Naples, FL
    Posts
    2,086
    Rep Points
    2,209.2
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23



    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Everyone thinks that its cheap to build an exhaust, yet nobody is selling them.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    Your math is flawed, when the size of the oval is 2.60" x 4.80" Click here to enlarge

    so recalculate your numbers, if you could Click here to enlarge


    I have a 12g 304 stainless 4" exhaust that I built on my turbo M3. It was WELL over 1200 bucks just in materials alone, and we aren't counting any labor involved (pretty complex- vband 3" off of the turbo going to 4" cone, bending around tranny with a recirculated wastegate,/vband/ 3 mufflers and tucking it up as high as possible)


    so 1500 bucks does not even seen hard to hit. If I had to build it again, I could see charging at least 10 hours of fab time. its a lot of work!

    remember, custom big exhaust done CORRECTLY is expensive and time consuming.
    only when one is made, jigged and repeated over and over does the cost of production come down at all.... including buying bulk exhaust tubing and components, vs. one off stuff.

    I just made a custom 3" race exhaust for an S52 swapped E30.
    ebay headers that were 2.25", merged to a 2.5 collector, then cone out to 3", mandrel bends throughout, o2 sensor bung, and a vibrant street power muffler in the back. Exhaust hangers. Exhaust rubbers. band clamps for the merger to come off... mandrel bends. cutting. fitting. tacking. welding. warping. refitting. rewelding. painting. installing.

    it honestly is a lot of work! I spent about 6 hours on that, and the materials cost about 450-500 bucks.
    looks good and sounds good too though Click here to enlarge
    What would you charge for a N54 single exhaust with a spot for a dump by the downpipes?




  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    ?que?

    what where and by who?

    ... i'll guess titanium, the moon, king of the moon (but seriously, for that price you CAN get titanium in a custom setup)

    SS should set you back well <$1000
    Agreed. I think people are asking off-the-cuff pricing from a random shop and taking that as the truth. Buying the muffler, bends, mounts, hangers, etc is not that expensive; especially for a single exhaust. If you have a cutoff wheel, you could mock it up yourself and then take it to get welded/cleaned on the cheap. (That's what I'm going to do for the Stage 3s).

    I'll be running a similar setup to @Ak335i but with a resonator and dump flange to be used with a helmholtz resonator.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Everyone thinks that its cheap to build an exhaust, yet nobody is selling them.
    Because those who know it's not that expensive don't care enough to turn a custom exhaust into a marketable product. I know I don't; I've got a fulltime job elsewhere, I barely have enough time for my own car much less anyone else.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Points
    1,867.3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    I bought a used custom made 3'' mandrel bent stainless cat back for $400 used. It was $850 new and was a one off design.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Points
    1,867.3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    for a 3.5 you can get the VRSF for $750 this is after the manufacturer's and distributor's mark up of 30-40% combined.

    a 4'' should be no more than $1000.

    you can buy a 3.5 for a supra for like $300 bucks

    you can buy a 3.5'' in titanium for an evo for $1200.


    Just trying to put things in perspective.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Rep Points
    277.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    for a 3.5 you can get the VRSF for $750 this is after the manufacturer's and distributor's mark up of 30-40% combined.

    a 4'' should be no more than $1000.

    you can buy a 3.5 for a supra for like $300 bucks

    you can buy a 3.5'' in titanium for an evo for $1200.


    Just trying to put things in perspective.
    In perspective of not knowing what you're talking about, you did a great job at that. My custom 3" turboback exhausts START @ $1,500 and go up to 21-2200. 4" turbo back on a E36/46 M3 cheapest one I've done is $2,400. If you want $#@!, you'll get $#@! for the money you're talking about. Custom, when built properly, ALWAYS costs more than a setup off the shelf.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Points
    1,867.3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    In perspective of not knowing what you're talking about, you did a great job at that. My custom 3" turboback exhausts START @ $1,500 and go up to 21-2200. 4" turbo back on a E36/46 M3 cheapest one I've done is $2,400. If you want $#@!, you'll get $#@! for the money you're talking about. Custom, when built properly, ALWAYS costs more than a setup off the shelf.
    Really buddy? I am sure you sell allot of exhausts with that attitude.

    1st of all we aren't even talking turboback exhausts. Why you bring that into this discussion is beyond me. You obviously know exactly what you are talking about. Take your turbo back prices, remove $600-900 for the down pipes everyone already has and then you can rejoin this discussion. When you do rejoin, try not to hurl insults, as it makes you look like a juvenile and discredits what you say.

    My post above was to show there is no reason for them to cost so much when they cost so much less on other platforms using the same material, same diameter, etc. That is all. I can find examples all day online of high quality exhausts that go for less.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Rep Points
    277.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Really buddy? I am sure you sell allot of exhausts with that attitude.

    1st of all we aren't even talking turboback exhausts. Why you bring that into this discussion is beyond me. You obviously know exactly what you are talking about. Take your turbo back prices, remove $600-900 for the down pipes everyone already has and then you can rejoin this discussion. When you do rejoin, try not to hurl insults, as it makes you look like a juvenile and discredits what you say.

    My post above was to show there is no reason for them to cost so much when they cost so much less on other platforms using the same material, same diameter, etc. That is all. I can find examples all day online of high quality exhausts that go for less.
    I'd be happy to fit you into my next available appt, in about 3 months Click here to enlarge

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Points
    1,867.3
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    I'd be happy to fit you into my next available appt, in about 3 months Click here to enlarge
    Chief, we aren't talking about you, your shop, your pricing, or your scheduling.

    This is the 2nd time you have brought up irrelevant information into this thread.

    When you have something to add to it in an non insulting constructive way please do, until then, why don't you refrain from posting. OK mate?

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Rep Points
    277.8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Chief, we aren't talking about you, your shop, your pricing, or your scheduling.

    This is the 2nd time you have brought up irrelevant information into this thread.

    When you have something to add to it in an non insulting constructive way please do, until then, why don't you refrain from posting. OK mate?
    T'was a joke. And I did have something to add, proper pricing for one off custom pieces. The prices you and others stated in this thread are way off from reality for quality pieces using the best quality materials available.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    560
    Rep Points
    1,211.7
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Illtech automotive in Washington is claiming to have HPF parts including the 335i exhaust.

    Google it up.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    In perspective of not knowing what you're talking about, you did a great job at that. My custom 3" turboback exhausts START @ $1,500 and go up to 21-2200. 4" turbo back on a E36/46 M3 cheapest one I've done is $2,400. If you want $#@!, you'll get $#@! for the money you're talking about. Custom, when built properly, ALWAYS costs more than a setup off the shelf.
    LOL. Custom 3" exhaust for $1500? Funny guy. And anyone who can get them cheaper are just buying junk by your inference? LOL I can't keep stop laughing. Must be nice to find enough fools willing to pay that amount of cash for something maybe worth half of that unless it's made of titanium (which I highly doubt)

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Rep Points
    1,034.2
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    11


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    The prices you and others stated in this thread are way off from reality for quality pieces using the best quality materials available.
    Full stop. Who said they wanted the best quality materials available?

    I want:
    Good welds
    Stainless, no rusting
    Good pipe routing
    Good mounting

    Other than that and maybe a certain style tip, there's not much else to do. This is a piece of metal slung under the car.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,344
    Rep Points
    1,445.7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    In perspective of not knowing what you're talking about, you did a great job at that. My custom 3" turboback exhausts START @ $1,500 and go up to 21-2200. 4" turbo back on a E36/46 M3 cheapest one I've done is $2,400. If you want $#@!, you'll get $#@! for the money you're talking about. Custom, when built properly, ALWAYS costs more than a setup off the shelf.
    like @Torgus said... take off the downpipe/other stuff pricing

    the BEST shops locally will do a 304 SS mandrel blah blah 3" cat-back START at about the $500 mark inc a res and basic cannon muffler, and some average tips

    it gets up to the $1000 mark depending on more resonators, if you want high flow cats, or a particular expensive muffler... or a fully custom muffler for $300-$400.

    if you're talking $2400 for a 4" turbo back it'd want to have the mot perfect flow at every bend... what, 316 instead of 304, or even titanium... a REALLY nice muffler too... and even then i'd struggle to justify when i could get identical work for hundreds less for the same sound/gains...

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    I'd be happy to fit you into my next available appt, in about 3 months Click here to enlarge
    we're not arguing there's not enough people willing to pay too much because higher price SOUNDS like they'll be getting a better product Click here to enlarge.... $130 mobile IT guys will be far busier than a $90 one because the $130 price tag makes it immediately SEEM like they'll be better because 'they must be good if tey can charge that much!'
    boop

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    T'was a joke. And I did have something to add, proper pricing for one off custom pieces. The prices you and others stated in this thread are way off from reality for quality pieces using the best quality materials available.
    Honest question here, but what research and development do you do and fine tuning on these "custom" setups, how many hours do you spend tweaking the sound and changing things and starting from scratch?

    How do you know when building a one off exhaust what will provide the best sound on each specific car? What materials do you use, do you have pictures of your welds, do you use generic mufflers and resonators?

    What is your shop?
    jb4+fbo+meth

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,755.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Honest question here, but what research and development do you do and fine tuning on these "custom" setups, how many hours do you spend tweaking the sound and changing things and starting from scratch?

    How do you know when building a one off exhaust what will provide the best sound on each specific car? What materials do you use, do you have pictures of your welds, do you use generic mufflers and resonators?

    What is your shop?
    Strong post putting him on the defensive.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Honest question here, but what research and development do you do and fine tuning on these "custom" setups, how many hours do you spend tweaking the sound and changing things and starting from scratch?

    How do you know when building a one off exhaust what will provide the best sound on each specific car? What materials do you use, do you have pictures of your welds, do you use generic mufflers and resonators?

    What is your shop?

    Did my research and saw the work, it looks pretty good. Lots of pics of nice welds on the exhaust systems and manifolds. It's definitely not low end stuff, so I don't find it too farfetched that you would be able to charge premium prices.

    Only thing you lied about is the wait times @ the shop that employs you being 3 months, but I guess that's not so bad. Pretty impressive stuff though I'm finding online.


    Edit: Am I the only one on this thread who didn't know you were you?
    Last edited by Dr. G; 06-15-2013 at 05:53 AM.
    jb4+fbo+meth

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,327
    Rep Points
    32,755.4
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No
    You're quoting yourself?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338


    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #44
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    187
    Rep Points
    395.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You're quoting yourself?
    Following up on my previous post to add whatever I found.
    jb4+fbo+meth

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    1,986
    Rep Points
    2,386.1
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    @Sered

    can't wait for you to get your setup going so we can meet up, you'll love single exhaust. it's sick as F..
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    In perspective of not knowing what you're talking about, you did a great job at that. My custom 3" turboback exhausts START @ $1,500 and go up to 21-2200. 4" turbo back on a E36/46 M3 cheapest one I've done is $2,400. If you want $#@!, you'll get $#@! for the money you're talking about. Custom, when built properly, ALWAYS costs more than a setup off the shelf.
    You forgot to mention you aren't a Chinese slave. Just to add to this, piping isn't as cheap as people think. Especially when you start having to add bends into it. My buddy makes a lot of custom exhausts. He pretty much gets this reaction from everybody, then they usually say they have a guy who will do it for less. Some how they always end up calling back month or two later, or just never get an exhaust. I'm sure you get that. You gotta pay to play. If you want top notch quality the price will obviously reflect it. I have no problem of people buying cheap stuff, but don't pretend they are the best. I have raceland dp's on my 335i. I know they are crap. I don't need to convince anyone otherwise.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,344
    Rep Points
    1,445.7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dr. G Click here to enlarge
    Honest question here, but what research and development do you do and fine tuning on these "custom" setups, how many hours do you spend tweaking the sound and changing things and starting from scratch?

    How do you know when building a one off exhaust what will provide the best sound on each specific car? What materials do you use, do you have pictures of your welds, do you use generic mufflers and resonators?

    What is your shop?
    not replying for him.. but shops here will do some small changes for free if you hate the volume/raspiness etc of the system they build .. or larger changes discounted AS LONG as you followed their recommendations... if you go 'i want this this this 100%' well then you'll only get a small amount for free unless you kick up a huge stink... for a reasonable price they definitely will build a custom system in EVERY way, sound included.

    custom mufflers, muffler of choice, or generic piece of crap, depending on what you talk to them about.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    You forgot to mention you aren't a Chinese slave. Just to add to this, piping isn't as cheap as people think. Especially when you start having to add bends into it. My buddy makes a lot of custom exhausts. He pretty much gets this reaction from everybody, then they usually say they have a guy who will do it for less. Some how they always end up calling back month or two later, or just never get an exhaust. I'm sure you get that. You gotta pay to play. If you want top notch quality the price will obviously reflect it. I have no problem of people buying cheap stuff, but don't pretend they are the best. I have raceland dp's on my 335i. I know they are crap. I don't need to convince anyone otherwise.
    as above... though i believe shop prices in the states for some reason are higher than australia (though everything else is more expensive here lol) usually?

    could be that the car culture here doesn't tend to stand up for being overcharged..? and has VERY strong word of mouth.
    boop

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,209
    Rep Points
    1,449.2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    as above... though i believe shop prices in the states for some reason are higher than australia (though everything else is more expensive here lol) usually?

    could be that the car culture here doesn't tend to stand up for being overcharged..? and has VERY strong word of mouth.

    Ignore This Signature
    That's very interesting. Perhaps it has something to do with a lot of Americans being what I call Brand whores. So they'll pay whatever it takes to look like they are the best, or richest whatever. Truthfully, I don't know A41.8, but I have seen his work in person a few times and his stuff is nice. I do actually think he charges a little more than he should contrary to how my above post probably sounded, but who am I to determine what his time is worth. That would be a pretty big jerk move. His work is solid, and people are willing to pay for it. So realistically why would he charge less?

    I can't speak for 1.8t on repairs on the system or choice in mufflers, only on what my buddy does. He warranties his work, and will make changes if something isn't right at no cost. He just asks people what they want sound wise from their exhaust and he goes from there. Mufflers have different packing materials, shapes, types of chambers, and sizes, they all effect how the exhaust sounds, and to an extent performs. My friend has no scientific way of doing this, other than using his experience. You do something long enough, you just know what works.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,344
    Rep Points
    1,445.7
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    That's very interesting. Perhaps it has something to do with a lot of Americans being what I call Brand whores. So they'll pay whatever it takes to look like they are the best, or richest whatever. Truthfully, I don't know A41.8, but I have seen his work in person a few times and his stuff is nice. I do actually think he charges a little more than he should contrary to how my above post probably sounded, but who am I to determine what his time is worth. That would be a pretty big jerk move. His work is solid, and people are willing to pay for it. So realistically why would he charge less?

    I can't speak for 1.8t on repairs on the system or choice in mufflers, only on what my buddy does. He warranties his work, and will make changes if something isn't right at no cost. He just asks people what they want sound wise from their exhaust and he goes from there. Mufflers have different packing materials, shapes, types of chambers, and sizes, they all effect how the exhaust sounds, and to an extent performs. My friend has no scientific way of doing this, other than using his experience. You do something long enough, you just know what works.
    don't get me wrong, there's a LOT of that here

    VW community still wanks with $1700 APR intercoolers and $1500 APR tunes...

    i have a 'friend' who constantly whores out the fact his A3 has an 'apr stage 1 k04 tune'... over. and. freakin. over.

    yeah, and i'm going to guess with his high price there SHOULD be a lot of after-sales support/work, making sure it's exactly as the customer wants for the premium paid

    i'm not implying his work is anything other than top notch, as you'd hope for the price.

    true on the last paragraph too, if you're talking about making the desired sound? yeah that's just YEARS of expensive experience for custom work.
    boop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •