Update MSD80 from i860s to I8A0S???

Hello Guy's i have a Problem, maybe someone can Help

im driving an Alpina B3 E92 from 01/2008, with the following Mods:

AT
    RB Turbos
    Walbro 455
    Forge DV's
    N20 TMAP Sensor
    OEM catless Downpipes (welded pipe between)
    ER Chargepipe
    FORGE Fmic
    PP additional Watercooler
    PP axleback

i want to get the Protune bei PTF, and now comes the Problem..

Dzenno from PTF told me, that i have to Update my MSD80 from i860s to i8A0s if i want Drive more than 18.6 PSI. And that is what i want, i think with the RB Turbos i must Drive 20-21 PSI otherwise the upgrade was for nothing...

now i ask my Dealer to Update my Alpina, but they dont know if the Update will be i8A0S, the Update will cost 250€. it is risky to update and get wrong software wich i dont need..

My Hardware number is 7583332 (MSD80).. is it Posible to bring this Hardware with this number from i860s to i8A0s ???
    are there another opportunities to drive more than 18,6 PSI, like Changing MSD80 zu MSD81 or like this?

Thank You

p.s Sorry for my bad English Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Your english is fine, better than half the native speakers on the interweb. In answer to the first part of your question, I have no idea how the dealer software updates go in terms of software revisions and hardware compatibility, but the software should be relatively interchangeable. Software versions used to be more of an emissions thing for different countries with different maps for different gas and standards, etc... so that means the version you want *should* be compatible with your hardware, but it doesn't mean you will get it with the update. I don't really know.

In answer to the other question of if there is any other way to drive more than 18.6 psi, that's a yes on a normal 335i at least. The JB4 piggyback for example will allow you to run more than 18.6 psi and even incorporate a higher MAP sensor for even more boost, also since you already have the Cobb you can use the BMS maps for the backend. May not be what you're looking for but it is an option.

Well, I guess that depends on if the JB4 works with an Alpina B3?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If this is an authentic Alpina B3, this is gonna be very interesting since that's got a highly modified N54 -- Upgraded internals, adjusted CR, etc
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Well, the latest upgrade available from BMW is the I8A0S for the MSD80 ECU, and since you have the same current version that I had on my 335i MSD80 ECU, I would certainly expect it to be the same on your B3, but of course I do not know for sure.

However I can say, that this particular ECU software upgrade gave me an additional 57 whp with the map from PTF, actually @dzenno made it.
    E92 335i 2008 Space Grey 6MT | RB turbos | Quaife LSD | M3 Suspension kit | Öhlins Road & Track Coilover | DEFIVfab N54 diff lockdown kit | COBB PTF E50 map | Walbro E85 455 LPH LPFP | NGK 5992 plugs | Wagner FMIC | Wagner 3" DP | Milltek exhaust | Trueform Tech Intake System | Tial BOV | Motiv PI Stage 1 w/AIC | SPEC Stage 3+ clutch | SPEC SSM Flywheel | BMS CDV | 60-130 mph 7.55 s | 100-200 kmh 6.57 s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G.I.Joe Click here to enlarge
    Well, the latest upgrade available from BMW is the I8A0S for the MSD80 ECU, and since you have the same current version that I had on my 335i MSD80 ECU, I would certainly expect it to be the same on your B3, but of course I do not know for sure.

However I can say, that this particular ECU software upgrade gave me an additional 57 whp with the map from PTF, actually @dzenno made it.
    This.
    I8AOS is the latest ROM available for the MSD80.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hello Guys, first of all thank you for the quick reply Click here to enlarge

i Know the JB4 in combination with Cobb, N20 TMAP and BMS Flash, but I was not happy with it. i Had also 2 Friends with Same Mods, they Changed to PTF and they are very happy with it, thats why I decided to change to PTF too. I Dont will not say that BMS is not good, i have also a Friend who changed from JB4+COBB with BMS Flash zu PTF, and then go back to JB4+COBB with BMS Flash. maybe i make the same if im not impressed from PTF.

now to the Flash, i had said that the Hardwarenumber from my ECU(MSD80) is 7583332. Now if i Look in SP Daten in kmm_SG and Check the Zusubs wich i can Flash on this Hardwarenumber, and then Check the Softwareversions in the .0DA Files, i always come to Version i860s and that's what confuses me.
    a Friend Checked an ALPINA B3 with Same Hardware, wich get Flashed or Updatet by Alpina on MAI.2012, and he also get the Version i860s.

Now V8Bat said "Software versions used to be more of an emissions thing for different countries with different maps for different gas and standards" maybe someone can tell me in Which Country they Used i8A0s. or even better is when someone know an Alpina Driver with MSD80 and Hardwarenumber 7583332 with software version i8A0s and can read with Inpa the UIF and post it here for me Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

1 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    the reason you need to update to I8A0S is because custom race logic cannot be used on anything but I8A0S and IJE0S.

imho you're better off stacking anyway. that race code is very unstable even with Alpina TCU logic in the deeper gears.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ALPINAB3 any way you can get a dyno for us of your b3 335i with rb's. I'm very curious to see the difference in numbers and power band.
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe you could talk to the service department more directly, or the manager, and get them to confirm what version you will get? Or maybe work out a deal that if it's not the version you need, they will not charge you the full price for the upgrade since they are unable to tell you which version you would get? Regardless I think it's your best bet for your goals despite the risk, a computer swap isn't a fun job and there would be a lot of questions for a B3 especially.

As far as ROM revisions go for I8AOS and I860S and others in general, maybe somebody can break it down for us a little bit. Does the ROM ID only refer to the base logic and base operating system (like Windows SP1, SP2, SP3) or does it refer to any changes in the tables themselves? If it's just the base operating system, the update should be fine, assuming the B3 uses the same logic as the other N54's and assuming you don't have odd emissions equipment or regulations that require additional logic on the ROM side. If it also refers to the tables, then it's highly unlikely you will end up with I8AOS because I'm sure a Apina B3 has different tables from a 335i or 335is for emissions, power, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Maybe you could talk to the service department more directly, or the manager, and get them to confirm what version you will get? Or maybe work out a deal that if it's not the version you need, they will not charge you the full price for the upgrade since they are unable to tell you which version you would get? Regardless I think it's your best bet for your goals despite the risk, a computer swap isn't a fun job and there would be a lot of questions for a B3 especially.

As far as ROM revisions go for I8AOS and I860S and others in general, maybe somebody can break it down for us a little bit. Does the ROM ID only refer to the base logic and base operating system (like Windows SP1, SP2, SP3) or does it refer to any changes in the tables themselves? If it's just the base operating system, the update should be fine, assuming the B3 uses the same logic as the other N54's and assuming you don't have odd emissions equipment or regulations that require additional logic on the ROM side. If it also refers to the tables, then it's highly unlikely you will end up with I8AOS because I'm sure a Apina B3 has different tables from a 335i or 335is for emissions, power, etc.

I8A0S is the latest ROM for MSD80 cars, IJE0S is the latest for MSD81.

I860S is an older revision for MSD80.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ALPINAB3 Click here to enlarge
    Hello Guys, first of all thank you for the quick reply Click here to enlarge

i Know the JB4 in combination with Cobb, N20 TMAP and BMS Flash, but I was not happy with it. i Had also 2 Friends with Same Mods, they Changed to PTF and they are very happy with it, thats why I decided to change to PTF too. I Dont will not say that BMS is not good, i have also a Friend who changed from JB4+COBB with BMS Flash zu PTF, and then go back to JB4+COBB with BMS Flash. maybe i make the same if im not impressed from PTF.

now to the Flash, i had said that the Hardwarenumber from my ECU(MSD80) is 7583332. Now if i Look in SP Daten in kmm_SG and Check the Zusubs wich i can Flash on this Hardwarenumber, and then Check the Softwareversions in the .0DA Files, i always come to Version i860s and that's what confuses me.
    a Friend Checked an ALPINA B3 with Same Hardware, wich get Flashed or Updatet by Alpina on MAI.2012, and he also get the Version i860s.

Now V8Bat said "Software versions used to be more of an emissions thing for different countries with different maps for different gas and standards" maybe someone can tell me in Which Country they Used i8A0s. or even better is when someone know an Alpina Driver with MSD80 and Hardwarenumber 7583332 with software version i8A0s and can read with Inpa the UIF and post it here for me Click here to enlarge
    If you wind up needing any addl help on the JB4 end while you sort the DME situation out feel free to email in a current JB4 log. We're always making changes so if something isn't working the way it should be just let us know and we'll be happy to fix it.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am curious as to what specifically you didn't like about the jb4+cobb stack. all it does is essentially controlling boost and some fuel with convenience features.

dialing in a specific boost curve is much easier using the piggyback for it which is going to be your largest challenge with RB turbos and Cobb only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know if I say this enough but I love the sophistication of the questions I see. Props.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @crazylegs
    when i finish the tune, i will post the Dyno Results here.

@V8Bait

i'm going to mail to ALPINA Service directly now, 3 BMW Service Partners wasn't competent enough to solve the problem. I'm excited if they Answer or how they answer. i Asked them before if I have a differential lock, they said i must pay 15€ to get an answer if yes or no.

@Terry@BMS
    thank you for your offer, I might come back to it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ALPINAB3 thank you appreciate it, good luck with getting everything sorted out. an wow pay for an answer is such a lowball move for a company like alpina. sorry you spent a small fortune on there product now to nickel an dime you for questions about your purchase.
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ALPINAB3 I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday for the same thing, along with the battery cable recall, and their current 'integration update' did update me from MSD80 I860S to I8A0S.

The SA warned me that he couldn't guarantee it, because they didn't have visibility into that, and then spent 10-15 minutes with me, going through his system until we found the list of modules that the 'integration update' would hit with the latest software. When I saw an entry for MSD80/MSD81 in the list, I decided to roll the dice. I don't have an Alpina...but thought I'd let you know what my experience was.

My SA was pretty much as frustrated as me. He said they no longer have the option of selecting individual modules to update. They basically get to install their latest 'integration package' without access to what version each module will be updated too. Take that with a grain of salt, but he's an enthusiast too, and said the dealer can no longer help him with any sort of coding and he has to do it at home with a laptop using pirated software too.
    Last edited by georgelb; 06-12-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: tagged the wrong person...oops