Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

e82 ST coilover noise

i got my st's installed about 2 months ago and noticed a sound maybe a week later so i got the car into another shop to see if they could find the sound and they noticed the first shop didn't load up the suspension when tightening the control arms. had them loosen everything off and retighten with load on the front. they said that the bushings looked fine. i am still noticing this sound... it's very obvious when cold and only at slow speeds. it almost sounds like a rubber mallet hitting metal... like i said everything was checked and is tight. there is no obvious signs of rubbing anywhere. i am on stock wheels and tire sizes so that's not the issue either. is it common for installers to miss anything that would cause this issue?

i'll take a picture shortly of what is left in the box from the installer.
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I have no clue, @Itsbrokeagain ?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Heres what's left in the box
    BSM 2008 135i N54
    -VRSF 7" IC -VRSF DP's -n55 mids -BERK race -ER CP -TIAL BOV -BMS DCI -JB4 G5 ISO -ST coils -STOPTECH slotted rotors & pads -SLeK lip

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Struts arent tight, or they forgot to put the washers in on the top to allow the tophat to swivel. Seen it multiple times.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Struts arent tight, or they forgot to put the washers in on the top to allow the tophat to swivel. Seen it multiple times.
    Ok. Any idea the washer sizes and what the struts should be tightened to? Ill try to get it in tomorrow
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Heres all the hardware in the box
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

@Itsbrokeagain can you help buddy?
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Wescuddles Click here to enlarge
    Ok. Any idea the washer sizes and what the struts should be tightened to? Ill try to get it in tomorrow
    I dont know what size they are but its a curved washer in between the top hat and the mount that bolts to the car. Has to be curved side facing up. I have an electric impact gun and i just hit the nut til it gets tight. Never bothered torquing them because imo its a waste of time to me. Ive been doin these cars for 6 years and never had an issue.

I dont know what else could be wrong, either forgot to tighten an endlink or one of the perches isnt tight. Hard to diagnose without seeing it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I dont know what size they are but its a curved washer in between the top hat and the mount that bolts to the car. Has to be curved side facing up. I have an electric impact gun and i just hit the nut til it gets tight. Never bothered torquing them because imo its a waste of time to me. Ive been doin these cars for 6 years and never had an issue.

I dont know what else could be wrong, either forgot to tighten an endlink or one of the perches isnt tight. Hard to diagnose without seeing it.
    I hear ya. Well thanks for the help I just texted the installer asking if they used the washer and if it was installed as you said. FWIW everything is tight according to the last shop I had take a look. I drove it today and the best way I can describe the noise is a squeaky clunk that happens at slow speeds with every rotation of the front wheels. Happens with wheel straight or turned. Thanks
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

@Itsbrokeagain I got this text from the installer today and will be getting it in tomorrow. Any insight on if what he did in the rear was correct?
    "I reused all necessary parts from stock susp and installed the new hardware supplied with the coils except for the top nuts for the rear shocks. They had a large washer crimped to the base and the new nuts would not accept them. It's too bad I can't have a look myself. When does the noise occur? Is it quite loud or subtle?"

thanks
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

- Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

@Itsbrokeagain I got this text from the installer today and will be getting it in tomorrow. Any insight on if what he did in the rear was correct?
    "I reused all necessary parts from stock susp and installed the new hardware supplied with the coils except for the top nuts for the rear shocks. They had a large washer crimped to the base and the new nuts would not accept them. It's too bad I can't have a look myself. When does the noise occur? Is it quite loud or subtle?"

thanks
    The rear shocks should be able to use the stock upper nut/bushing/washer assembly. Ive reused them on every strut out there. I think that might be where to look first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The rear shocks should be able to use the stock upper nut/bushing/washer assembly. Ive reused them on every strut out there. I think that might be where to look first.
    Sounds good thanks a lot man
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Well had the shop go over everything with me and it appears to be installed 100% correct. Only thing we noticed is there was some small rocks on the lower 2 coils on the springs. Cleaned them up and checked everything was tight. The sound is still there when cold but not when warm - I drove 1 hour to the shop that did the install and we couldn't replicate the noise but this morning after sitting 12 hours it was very obvious. My next guess seeing as its nothing mechanical is the shocks? Anyone dealt with ST/KW warranty before?
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Well had the shop go over everything with me and it appears to be installed 100% correct. Only thing we noticed is there was some small rocks on the lower 2 coils on the springs. Cleaned them up and checked everything was tight. The sound is still there when cold but not when warm - I drove 1 hour to the shop that did the install and we couldn't replicate the noise but this morning after sitting 12 hours it was very obvious. My next guess seeing as its nothing mechanical is the shocks? Anyone dealt with ST/KW warranty before?
    I don't know of anyone here specifically that dealt with KW regarding warranty (@Itsbrokeagain probably has) but people have definitely had issues with them. Try to record the noise and show them then get it replaced.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Squeaky shocks or still a clunk?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Squeaky shocks or still a clunk?
    Im guessing shocks I'm going to go stiffer shocks anyways so it'll be going into shop after I get back to Canada from holidays and they'll be checking over everything that kw warranty requires them to. 2 shops now say everything is tight and installed properly so it has to be a manufacturing defect.
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heres my exact noise
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I hear it. That's pretty annoying!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I hear it. That's pretty annoying!
    Yessir. An hour of google got me to the conclusion to it being a shock issue isolated to the front. Found 3 other threads with at least 10 other people having the same issues. Ill post back here after I deal with KW warranty.
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yessir. An hour of google got me to the conclusion to it being a shock issue isolated to the front. Found 3 other threads with at least 10 other people having the same issues. Ill post back here after I deal with KW warranty.
    Let us know what KW does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You know, I had the same exact issue when my ST went on but with the rear. I had the Subframe bushings upgraded to M3 ones about 2 weeks later and it went away. No idea what it was but I can tell you the bushings did something and it went away. Also, car handles amazing!
    BMW Performance Kidney Grille, CF Lip Spoiler, CF Diffusser, Blackline LCI Tailights, Magnaflow Full Exhaust, BMS Intake, Jb4 w/ E85, Meth Injection, BMS ********, VRSF 5" Intercooler, CP-E Charge Pipe, ST Coilovers, M3 Subframe Bushings, VMR VB3 Wheels, 255 Inline Fuel Pump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

KW decided to send me new shocks so just waiting for them to arrive and ill post back here if it fixes my problem. No cash out of my pocket - pretty happy.
    BSM 2008 135i N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

KW decided to send me new shocks so just waiting for them to arrive and ill post back here if it fixes my problem. No cash out of my pocket - pretty happy.
    I would be too. That's good to hear.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Ive had goofy noises come from cheap components like lowering hats.
    when you turn or go in/out of a driveway the go "pong!" from the spring moving on the hat.
    If the spring is rotating on the hat vs. the bearing allowing it to turn will cause this noise.
    the rubber isolator is correctly installed?
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast